1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Casio Watches - Non G-shock Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Watches' started by wanderer16, Nov 15, 2017.

1. aih

aih Loaded Pockets

Technically, I guess the Internet existed at the time, but not like we know it today. We had email and usenet, but an internet browser and the world wide web was not in common usage yet. I'm pretty sure it was after this watch acquisition that I learned about Mosaic from friends who had just learned about it and were using it, and I scrambled to get it myself and get a graphics card, and before Netscape was released. So that places the time frame around the mid-90's? Wow. Hard to believe how long ago that seems now.

Casio does make some durable watches.

Moshe ben David and wanderer16 like this.
  2. wanderer16

wanderer16 Loaded Pockets

Your post got me to thinking about when I got internet access. I remember going to a friends house who lived in a city in 1998 and he had just gotten internet access. About a year later, I know it was in 1999 I got my first computer, bought it a Circuit City, which I believe is out of business now, and got dial-up internet shortly after. I have had at least one more desktop and three laptops since then and now finally a Mac. Got DSL in about 2003 I guess, maybe later. Man times and technology change in a hurry.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  3. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Ahh, the memories.

I started using computers in the days of punch cards and paper tapes. In the summer between my junior and senior years of high school, I took part in a program at a local university (this was in the Detroit area). They taught us introductory programming -- language of choice was WATFOR, the student version of FORTRAN. We also went on field trips to various companies, saw analog computers in 'action', and learned exactly why memory was spoken of in terms of 'core memory' (because it was initially LITERALLY an array of magnetic cores which could be polarized so that they were either 'on' or 'off' -- hence binary!) and 'cylinders' of memory (memory was physically stored in cylinders immersed in a bath of liquified gas so as to keep it cool.)

Later, when the Computer Museum opened in Boston (on the Tea Party ship wharf) I was for a while on the first year subscription list of members. Really a place worth visiting. You want to know where the phrase a 'bug in the system' came from? Visit. They have the original relay driven computer in which a moth was literally trapped in the jaws of a relay!

Mods: OK. This tangent to the topic at hand is done! ;-)

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

ran23 likes this.
  4. Bladerunner337

Bladerunner337 Loaded Pockets

It's my second one like this, and I add a Coughlin's wrist compass to the strap :)

5. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

The first one is the watch I spent the most money yet for a watch. Nearly $100.
    This one runs fast.

The second one was +/- $30 it might as well be radio controlled because it is within a half second after months.

Both from Wal-Mart
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

wanderer16 likes this.
  6. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

Not sure why the first pic didn't work. Trying again.[​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

wanderer16 likes this.
  7. wanderer16

[​IMG]
    I recently discovered the ProTrek line. Love this one. Has moon and tide complications which has had me out looking at the moon at all hours. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. wanderer16

I think this one may be a ProTrek predecessor or a ProTrek lite. At any rate it has a nice big display. Reasonably priced and 200 meter water resistant!
    [​IMG]

9. wanderer16

Double post

10. wanderer16

[​IMG]
    @Moshe ben David I finally got around to putting a battery in the old Forester and I put a cheap NATO strap on it. Working like the day I got it. Someone told me about a product called PolyWatch that is supposed to buff scratches out of the crystal. I am gonna get some and give it a try. Since I fixed it a couple of months ago I have been using it as a yard work watch.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  11. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Speaking of yard work watches, you will recognize this one; although it is in my rotation I originally bought it for yard work etc -- least costly watch I own! Yes, I still turn to it when doing yard work -- even though surely any my G-shocks would stand up to such work also!

[​IMG]

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

echo victor and wanderer16 like this.
  12. HeadOffice

HeadOffice Loaded Pockets

13. TRDmatrix

TRDmatrix Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]Casio PAW-1300T by hlim2matrix, on Flickr
    I bought this watch several years back when I “had” to have everything i edc to be titanium. I was looking around for titanium watches and this came up on an amazon lightning deal for less than $200. It is a great watch, very light and comfortable to wear. I am now over my titanium fetish and just started looking for a new watch to edc but this watch has set the bar quite high and making it difficult to find a replacement.

#33 TRDmatrix, May 31, 2019
    Last edited: May 31, 2019