1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Casio Watches - Non G-shock Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Watches' started by wanderer16, Nov 15, 2017.

1. wanderer16

wanderer16 Loaded Pockets

I bought this on Amazon a couple of years ago for just shy of $11. I think it is similar to the one I bought when i was in basic training back in 86. I use it as my workout watch and yard work watch. It's definately a day time watch for me as the light is not enough for these old eyes to read even with my glasses[​IMG]. I remember when I bought the one I had back then, that I really, really wanted the G-Shock but it was out of reach for an E-nothing. LOL

[​IMG]

2. Claptrap

Claptrap Loaded Pockets

I love digital non-g Casios. This one is hydro-modded
    [​IMG]

andrej, tmgplc and wanderer16 like this.
  3. wanderer16

That is ultra sharp!

4. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I have two non-G Casio digitals:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Each in their own way are solid watches, considering what I paid for them. The one on the left is a very old school solar: as indicated no battery but rather a capacitor. Metal bracelet. No illumination. Very light weight; also rather small by today's standards. I think it was probably first issued in late 70's? Obviously the one on the right picks up many styling cues from the G shock lines. I wear the one on the right for yard work etc. The one on the left was actually my daily watch -- my only daily watch -- for about 4 years. Casual or suits.

Both of these show up in my weekly rotation!

Pics grabbed off Amazon; my source for these watches. IIRC, I paid approximately $33 for the one on the left; approximately $14 for the one on the right.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Nick4305 and wanderer16 like this.
  5. wanderer16

I have the Casio World Time like yours also. There is just a cool James Bond vibe about having a world map on the face. It is a really cool watch. I think I have seen others on this site as well.

6. Moshe ben David

@wanderer16: maybe. Although I think for cool factor the metal version is better. I bought mine strictly based on price because I just wanted an uber CHEAP watch for working around the house etc. Thing is, it is very comfortable to wear and keeps good time. Got to hand it to Casio. For a functional timepiece, they seem to own the low price end!

And then for rugged their G shock lines own it...! ;-)

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

wanderer16 likes this.
  7. wanderer16

I agree. Casio watches have a long reputation for being high quality and low cost. I recently found an older field watch can't recall the model that I have had stuck in a drawer for years, just don't wear it anymore due to the look after years of rough service and it is still running. Some of the batteries seem to last forever. Actually I just retrieved that old watch from the drawer. It is called a Forester. It had a backlight similar to indigo that is not working. It actually is not that bad looking at it. I wonder if replacing the battery is possible and if that would make the light work? I know this thing has to be more than 12 years old and I am gonna say older than that. I retired from the military in 2005 and I know I bought this watch well before then. Looks like it is still in production. I bought this one years ago for field use in the National Guard.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Moshe ben David

@wanderer16: Might be worth finding a jeweler or even one of those kiosks at a mall and getting them to swap the battery. I'd lean towards a good jeweler just to maybe tip the scales in favor of the seal/gasket for the case neither being damaged nor improperly seated...

Whichever you do, if you do get it running let us know!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

wanderer16 likes this.
  9. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

I don't own a watch anymore. I sold it when I realised I am timeless

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G950F met Tapatalk

10. aih

aih Loaded Pockets

I hope a few find this one interesting. Casio Wave Ceptor WVX-100.

[​IMG]IMG_20171119_184950 by Ira Harkness, on Flickr

The face is analog. The "digital" display component is in the watch crystal. I don't remember what year I bought this, but I remember the details. It was something like 15 years ago, or 15+. Definitely before Internet. (EDIT: Thinking about it, had to be closer to 20 years ago. It would have been in the late '90s or around 2000.) I had been looking in stores for it and ended up buying it in a mall outside of San Antonio. It was a display model, the last one in the store, and the manual was lost. I wrote Casio and asked to purchase a manual and they just mailed one to me.

At any rate, the watch has a memory for something like 300 characters. I stored the info for my employer-issued calling card. This was back in the day when big hotels with conference centers had huge banks of pay phones, and long before I had a cell phone.

The watch still works. I wear it on weekends sometimes. Not sure how many times now I've had a new battery put in it. That's all the maintenance I've ever done on it. Neat watch.

#10 aih, Nov 21, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
    wanderer16 and Moshe ben David like this.
  11. Moshe ben David

@aih: VERY neat looking watch! One could even say it was ahead of its time...no pun intended!

Makes me think of investigating the current crop of the Wave Ceptor family.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

MCPOWoller and wanderer16 like this.
  12. Bladerunner337

Bladerunner337 Loaded Pockets

I've had this one since around 2012 and is my primary work watch, but was my EDC watch for the first 4 or so years :). Still working great on the original battery too.

[​IMG]20170819_104410 by Blade Runner337, on Flickr

Moshe ben David and wanderer16 like this.
  13. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

[​IMG] I’ve really been considering picking up one of these for work - for $9 it's practically disposable.

14. wanderer16

Cool story. You know you have a quality product when it pre-dates the internet. That one was definitely ahead of it's time. Thanks for showing it. I was not aware of that model.

15. wanderer16

a
    Another version of the World Time. Cool

Bladerunner337 likes this.
  16. wanderer16

I like it.

17. wanderer16

I broke the band on the Forester yesterday, loading up some flooring I bought for my house.. It is still running. I am gonna get a new battery and order a two ring zulu strap for it.

18. Bladerunner337

Bladerunner337 Loaded Pockets

Yep, and it's come in handy since I've been working overseas :) First South Korea , now the Canary Islands. One thing's for sure, ANY Casio's, esp. G-shocks are marked up alot here!

Moshe ben David and wanderer16 like this.
  19. Moshe ben David

LOL. Its as if Casio was singing that old song to Swatch: '...whatever you can do I can do better!..."

I like the clean look of this watch. Maybe when my current beater for yard work dies I might pick one of these up. Or maybe I will just because!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

MCPOWoller and charlie fox like this.
  20. Moshe ben David

Looks so much like my World Time its spooky. I think I like this form factor better though!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David