1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Casio Oceanus or ???

Discussion in 'Watches' started by bryan123, Nov 28, 2017.

1. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

Hi,

Watch newbie here, currently have a 2010 Seiko 100m chrono and a Casio F-105 $15 from Wally World

After doing some research and watching some reviews I've decided that I would like a new watch with:

Quartz
    Atomic Radio
    Solar power
    Sapphire crystal
    Perpetual calendar

Also interested in titanium and easy time zone changes but these aren't deal breakers

The Casio OCW s100 1ajf seems like the odds on favorite but are there others to consider from maybe Seiko or Citizen?

Thanks

2. akramer

akramer Empty Pockets

Casio makes several other alternatives. There are a couple cool ones to import from their Lineage line: Check out the LCW-M170D-1AJF and the LIW-M700D-1AJF.
    Both have more features than the OCW-S100-1AJF, but neither have titanium cases/bands.

The Citizen AT8020-54L meets your criteria as well, is cheaper, and is readily available in the USA.

There are Citizen watches with the F150 movement that meet your requirements (except no titanium) like CC3005-85E. GPS watches are similar enough to radio control watches that they're in the same category in my opinion.

Seiko has some radio control watches in their Brightz series that you'd have to import. Seiko imports basically no watches I find interesting to the USA, and so I don't pay attention to their products.

3. aih

aih Loaded Pockets

I'm not really a watch enthusiast, but I'm old enough to have developed some opinions....

You don't mention the style you are looking for.... I'm thinking first sporty versus casual versus business.... You don't need to say, but I think I might first start with what you will be doing and what "uniform" you will be wearing when wearing this watch and then sort from there according to the features you want

That said...

+1 on solar

Automatic synchronization with a radio time signal is very convenient, agree with this and solar as mandatory nowadays

I've grown very partial to Casio wristwatches for reliability and durability

I can't really say I know what would be easy versus what would be hard wrt to changing the time zone....The manual methods with your typical Casio brand watch isn't too difficult.... I have a Casio with GPS and radio and never manually change time zone now

GPS and radio are very different to my mind, but it depends on what you as a user need..... The questions with radio synchronization will be are you within range of a transmitter so that your watch can get a signal, and is your watch compatible with that transmitter signal .... GPS gives you the ability to sync time and date on demand, sync when you are outside range of a compatible transmitter signal, and automatically determine time zone and change display to the appropriate time zone

Titanium doesn't do anything for me.... but I know, appearance rates high

EDIT: I looked at the example cited. Should have done that initially. Gives me an idea of the style you are looking for, and price range. I would add to my post, be very careful of counterfeits. Buy from a reputable source, etc. But I stay with my original thought: Start with the style that suits you and the dress and environment you will be in when using the watch, and then select what provides the features you want. And that's a pretty watch, by the way.

Last edited by aih, Dec 29, 2017
    #3 aih, Dec 29, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
    YankeeHotelFoxtrot likes this.
  4. akramer

akramer Empty Pockets

Titanium isn't about appearance - at least not in watches like the OCW-S100-1AJF.

Here's an example:
    These two watches both meet the criteria, but are vastly different sizes. The bigger one is noticeably lighter because it's all titanium.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. aih

aih Loaded Pockets

Of course. But the material still reflects on the appearance of the watch and on appearance of the individual wearing it. If the watch and the material matters to you and you know it will be noticed, then it matters.

If you don't think it matters, that it is just the weight spec, then I would ask if the difference in weight matters, and if it is worth the added cost.

6. akramer

akramer Empty Pockets

Ah, I understand what you're saying. For raw-finished titanium watches, I agree with you.

I explained myself badly in the previous post. The high-end of titanium quartz watches (which is what titanium radio-controlled sapphire-crystaled watches will be) usually have a carbide coating on them. I can't tell them apart from stainless steel by look. At that point the surface texture affects the look much more than whether it's titanium or stainless. All you're paying for is weight reduction and a more scratch resistant material.

These aren't my watches, but one is titanium and one is steel. They look really similar to me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

@bryan123: second the motion of the combination of solar and the atomic clock for radio synch. I have two Casio G-shock with these features and many of my other watches are destined not to have new batteries as their batteries expire...!

L'chaim and Shavua Tov!

Moshe ben David

8. jcombs

jcombs Loaded Pockets

Late to the party but here are a couple of options, both are analog style with no digital display.

Casio Lineage LIW T100D (uncoated Titanium case and bracelet, mineral crystal)

Citizen CB1090-59E (steel case and bracelet, sapphire crystal)

I’m having a tough time posting pictures here lately so you’ll have to use Google for images and more details.

One thing to consider is that many, if not most, of the analog only RC/Solar/Atomic watches utilize proprietary lugs which makes strap changes almost impossible. All of the recent models in the Oceanus line from Casio, to my knowledge, and almost all of the Citizen models, particularly the Attesa line, have a lug design that limits you to the bracelet.

That’s OK if your like wearing a bracelet but I prefer leather and NATO straps and there just aren’t many options for a RC watch with standard lugs. The 2 I’ve listed above have standard lugs. Casio’s Lineage line has several models with standard lugs but many of these models are Ana/digital.

The Seiko Brightz line, as mentioned, has a few standard lug watches but they are harder to find and reasonably expensive. The SAGZ071 is one that I’ve considered but it’s closer to $800.

Good luck in your search.

9. aih

aih Loaded Pockets

bryan123 likes this.
  10. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I wonder if those folks on Etsy (name escapes me at the moment) who make lug/strap adapters for Casio G-shocks might have something that could resolved the lug issue? Hmm. I don't own this type of watch, so I'm just speculating out loud...

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Tony Sal likes this.
  11. jcombs

jcombs Loaded Pockets

They probably can, I know some have had custom leather straps made for the Oris Aquis which is a great watch but also has a weird lug dimension.

Honestly, I don’t know why this is done, standard lugs would make way more sense to me. Maybe there is some reason for it, more secure fit, less likely to break, etc.

I don’t know really, but it’s kept me from buying several watches because I don’t want to be limited to only the bracelet.

Even most G Shocks can be easily adapted to accept a nato style or leather strap, some of the Master of G series excepted.

Tony Sal likes this.
  12. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

Not yet unless that's a decision in and of itself. I'd like to have the Oceannus if I could purchase it from a local brick and mortar store but that might not be possible

jcombs likes this.
  13. jcombs

jcombs Loaded Pockets

Only possible if you live in Japan as it’s a JDM only watch.

Buy it from a reputable seller with a good return policy, Seiya Japan or possibly Amazon and send it back if you don’t like it.

14. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

My girlfriend got me the Oceanus. Love it!!!!! Love her, too :)

15. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

I guess I'm later to the party. Too late even.

For anyone else going down the same path I just want to mention the Citizen CB1070-56E.
    Super slim and light titanium watch
    Sapphire crystal
    Very sensitive atomic time radio receiver
    Perpetual calendar
    100m WR
    OK lume. Not great, but better than expected.
    Very precise quartz movement

I will probably be parting with mine, but it will be a though breakup. I love what it does, but I have too many watches, and this one is just too dressy to get regular use from someone who prefers tool watches.

bryan123 likes this.
  16. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

The Citizen looks like a great watch that checks off all the boxes. We have similar taste in quartz watches. According to Amazon it goes for around $900 when new.

By tool watches are you referring to G-Shocks?

17. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

Wow, $900, really? I bought mine from a domestic dealer here in Norway, so its not a direct comparison, but I think the deal I got on it would equal to about $500.

The definition of a tool watch is probably a bit subjective, but my take on it, is a watch geared more toward being an instrument for work rather than accessories or jewelry.
    Military-/field watches, pilots watches and divers are typical tool watches. G-shocks are made for these applications as well, but they aren’t my favorites. I guess I’m also a little fascinated with the history behind these styles, and G-shocks don’t really reflect that, but admittedly they are the modern solution to much of the same requirements, and probably superior in many ways.

I shy away from dress watches, fashion pieces or anything with more than minimal polishing.
    The Citizen watch is a dress watch at its core, but in a subdued way that makes it bearable considering that there isn’t many alternatives for people with our specific taste (in quartz).
    If a more field/military/pilot oriented watch came along with otherwise the same specifications, it would be very hard to resist.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

18. FilthyJ24
    • +1 Supporter

FilthyJ24 Loaded Pockets

My Attesa ticks all of your boxes. Titanium, sapphire, solar, atomic, and easy to change time zones. Can be had in several different colors and styles. Shop around Rakuten and eBay. I bought the 8044-56e. [​IMG]