1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Casio g-shock or Luminox

Discussion in 'Watches' started by firefighting, Dec 12, 2014.

?

Which watch?

1. Luminox

8 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Casio G-Shock

30 vote(s)
    75.0%
  3. Other brand

2 vote(s)
    5.0%
  1. firefighting

firefighting Empty Pockets

Alright, looking for a decent watch, interested in the casio gshock and the luminox. To keep it short It will be worn every day and not treated super nice\ as I am a firefighter and outdoorsman.
    The must haves:
    Analog or ana/digital
    back light
    waterproof to around 100m(no I don't dive but am around water almost daily)
    Can with stand tempts from -45F up to 200-300 degrees under my bunker gear in a fire.
    chemical resistant to fuels/oils..etc
    small-ish face preferred as i have a small wrist
    stylish
    basic functions is ok
    second hand
    under $350ish
    easily disinfected as I can and do deal with blood and other lovely liquids.

this is what I do
    firefighting and ems
    automotive work
    hunting and fishing
    rock climbing sometimes
    skiing
    watersports
    anything and everything outdoors

I really like the toughness and features of the gshock, but like the fit and look of the luminox. Have heard great about both. I am also open to other brands.

Josh

2. The Albino Yeti

The Albino Yeti EDC Junkie

I own both and both are great watches! However as an Emergency room RN I frequently find myself up to my elbows in those liquids you spoke of and have no issues scrubbing a G-Shock with a Chlorine wipe...I wear my Luminox some on off days.

3. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

I'd go with the G-Shock. They're pretty darn indestructible and I haven't heard nearly as many bad things about them as I have about Luminox.
    Luminox is infamous for iffy quality and even iffier CS. There are many stories of people who swam with their Luminoxes that got standing water inside the case, bezel issues, case durability issues, trits falling off hands, second hands falling off, lugs failing, etc.

4. nick nitro

nick nitro Loaded Pockets

G-shock hands down. Plenty of options for digital or analog or combination. Most well under 100 bucks. If you can handle digital the 6900 series are great. The 6900 XL are a little larger.

deeker and DESTRO like this.
  5. Russ Prechtl

Russ Prechtl EDC Junkie!!!!!

I've gotten 14 years great fire and EMS service out of my Luminox. I've only had to change the battery (for the first time) recently and it still has the original crystal! It's been awesome. The hands glow, but it does not have a backlight.

[​IMG]

6. Ile

Ile Loaded Pockets

Yeah well... Both exellent time pieces but I still would choose G-Shock.

7. stockae92

stockae92 Loaded Pockets

For your budget, you can get one of each. (I think) :)

I am a big fan of Casio G-Shock for their toughness and (relative) affordability. But I have no idea how they will do in high temp situation. I supposed if you (the wear) is fine and you are wearing the watch close to your skin, the watch should be fine.

Also check out Victorinox INOX. Its a metal cased watch with sapphire crystal, its designed to be resistant to ... everything. haha~

But it doesn't have backlite and the lume is not great. You can read the hour in the middle of the night if you charge the lume with a flashlight before going to bed. But its nothing like Seiko diver nor Tritium tube in Traser/Luminox

8. Flying Dutchman

Flying Dutchman Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

I got the middle one, its a little over your specified budget, and it was over mine as well. I do like this watch a whole lot, has all the standard features, solar power with the automatic time signal receiver, water resist, etc. Mine is comfortable, and this is not the big face like the 55mm/XL models. Looking back, no second hand...it does have the seconds ticking on the digital display though.

MCPOWoller likes this.
  9. firefighting

firefighting Empty Pockets

Looks like I'll go gshock! Or... Now I have been looking at seikos. Pretty nice setups from what I see. Although not sure about anything with an automatic watch...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. ketchupgun

ketchupgun Loaded Pockets

isn't an average g-shock significantly cheaper? I really can't believe the quality your get for the price on those.

11. azaex

azaex Loaded Pockets

+1 for the G-Shock. My rep with Luminox is somewhat tarnished, I used to run a 3080BO until I crashed on my bike head on into another biker. No one was injured, but one of the tritium vials on the watch popped out of its place. It was out of warranty and I didn't see much point in getting it fixed (tbh, I didn't know whether shipping it to the service facility would wreck the watch more with the vial bouncing around). I switched to a Timex and now a smartwatch for EDC; figured that as cool as tritium is, a backlight is really enough for everyday use.
    I would expect maybe the design of the watch is what killed it; the metal and higher end Luminox's probably won't run into a problem like this, but might be more expensive.

12. Sao
    • In Omnia Paratus

Sao Loaded Pockets

I have both luminox and G-shocks. I'd take the G-shock for what you need over the luminox.
    They just feel better made.

13. nosuchagency

nosuchagency Loaded Pockets

since you're looking outside the original brands mentioned, might as well check out citizen eco-drives while you're at it. I've got a few of them and pretty much equate them the metal version of a gshock.

14. Jp85
    • In Omnia Paratus

Jp85 Loaded Pockets

I have 4 g-shocks and 1 luminox. I tend to use the g-Shocks a lot more than the luminox.

15. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

I have a basic G-Shock and one of the original Navy SEAL Luminoxs. Both have spent much of their lives covered in mud, blood and crud. I can't say that they have had to endure 200° - 300° temps, though.

My Luminox is about 20 years old ... maybe a little older. I had to make a paracord band for it when the original broke. I've also replaced the case when one of the band tabs broke and the movement has been replaced.

My G-Shock is about 7 years old. Some of the buttons don't work on the first ... or second ... or third try but I haven't had to replace any parts.

16. Karmakanic

Karmakanic Loaded Pockets

I'd vote for G-Shock. Mine's just turned 14 yrs.
    Looking at your requirements, no watch is suitable for serious automotive work, especially big chunky watches. They catch on everything. Most days I have trouble getting my hands into the places they need to be and they aren't large, wearing a watch would make it impossible.
    Back in the days when under-bonnet (under-hood) access was easier, I went through two crystals on my Rolex before I learned that the 'indestructible' tag was just advertisers' hype.

17. Ekan76

Ekan76 Empty Pockets

Definetly a G-shock! I´ve had two Luminox watches and had problems with both. On my first the hands got misaligned somehow, so they couldn´t pass each other. On my second one the movement just died. No option but replace the movement. I spoke to my local watchrepairman and he said that the movement was really poor and mostly garbage. The price I paid to get a new movement (same Ronda) was 37USD (work included) tells the same tale.

On the other hand I´ve got about 15 G-shocks and have never had a problem with them...
    I´m a nurseanestesist who works in an ambulance and have been wearing my G-6900 many years and it´s great!

18. ox71

ox71 Loaded Pockets

G-shock, people boil and freeze them in blocks of ice and they still come out working.

just don't spray bug repellant on the resin. If you do a replacement resin band or case can be found

19. Rider

Rider Loaded Pockets

I have both and I like both, but I'd choose a G Shock which seem to have more options. Analog or digital.

20. Rider

Rider Loaded Pockets

Now you've got me curious. What happens?