1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Cash Cans

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by tvodrd, Apr 30, 2007.

1. tvodrd

tvodrd Empty Pockets

I ordered a couple Cash Cans last Thursday from Sunshine Products, and they arrived today. The padded envelope contained a heavy duty ziplock bag with the two cans and a tiny brochure. The Cans were in their own cloth pouches. Strange cloth- seems like nylon on the inside and feels like felt on the outside.

I removed one from its pouch and was immediately impressed with the finish which I make to be 600-800 grit and not a tool mark in sight! If one wanted a high polish finish it would take less than a minute with Flitz! I removed the split ring and pushed the center spindle out. The O-ring compression is excellent, and I seriously doubt they will leak, even if taken swimming.

I pulled a $20 from my wallet and tri-folded it lengthwise and then over the center spindle, and within a minute was able to get it wrapped tightly enough to slide it back into the can. It's not easy, but quite doable. Remember, it's intended for stashing "emergency" cash. It is 7/16" in diameter and 1 9/16" overall, not counting the split ring. For a size perspective, note the P38/John Wayne next to it.

I have a number of imported spy capsules and the fit/finish on the Cash Can is in a different league! It's made in the USA, which might explain that. There's a rumor some spare battery holders may be in the works! ;D :drool:

Larry

Attached Files:

2. dinoadventures

dinoadventures Empty Pockets

3. ScarabDrowner

ScarabDrowner Loaded Pockets

think the spindle could stand having a slot dremel'd into it to make wrapping the cash a little easier? slide one end of the bill into the slot, then spin.

4. tvodrd

tvodrd Empty Pockets

Spindle diameter is a bit too small to permit a slot without weakening it. The things are really minimum formfactor for their intended purpose. There is some more info in this thread.

Larry

5. bruner

bruner Loaded Pockets

That is awsome. Fantastic idea from Sunshine.

Can't wait to see some of those batery holders ;)

Dan

6. ddashner

ddashner Loaded Pockets

You convinced me I needed one too. Ordered one tonight.

7. Codeman

Codeman Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the tip, Larry. I've been looking for something like this for a while. I'm off to place an order...

8. luigi

luigi Loaded Pockets

Great review Larry, thanks!

Luigi

9. beardy

beardy Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the great review larry. It prompted me to order a couple for me and the missus.

Cheers!

10. Gene

Gene Empty Pockets

This is amazing! Just this morning my wife told me she had lost her second spy capsule, (bottom), with a $20.00 bill in it. I had been using those cheap Bison products capsules I had purchased a few years back. I rolled a 20 in one several months ago and put it on her keychain.

A few months ago she came up to me and showed me her keychain with the Bison capsule missing the bottom half with the 20. Oh well. I dug another one out and put another 20 in it but this time I applied Loctite to the threads. As I said, just this morning, she showed it to me and the bottom half had again unscrewed itself and it was gone.

I admit, she's super rough with her keychain and throws it around like a baseball but I thought the Loctite would keep it from unscrewing but no way!

These are just the thing and a brilliant idea! No way these can come unscrewed. Glad I saw your thread Larry. Wish I would have seen these $40.00 ago! :idiot2:

11. tvodrd

tvodrd Empty Pockets

To lose it from your keyring, you'd have to pull hard enough to straighten the splitring into a piece of D-shaped wire! I'm not particularly impressed with the Bisons I have, though they're ok in PSKs and the like.

Larry

12. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

If you are losing the bottom half of the Bison pill capsule due to it untwisting while carrying, add a ball bearing swivel between the capsule and the keychain. You can buy ball bearing swivels in the fishing supply section of Bass Pro Shop, Gander Mountain, etc.

13. bruner

bruner Loaded Pockets

Good idea parnass!

O0

Dan

14. Gene

Gene Empty Pockets

I agree, that's a good idea parnass. However, I went ahead and ordered a "Cash Can" for her because there's no way one of these could come off her keychain unless like Larry said, the split ring is completely pulled apart.

I've carried one of the cheapo Bisons on my keychain for over 5 years and I've had no problems at all. She's had two come unscrewed in the last year! She should become a product tester because if something holds up with her using it, it's tough!

15. luigi

luigi Loaded Pockets

Interesting, I found one of the bison capsules unscrewed at the bottom of my pocket not once but twice, the same capsule.
    The capsules are attached to a ring with a clip and I carry them at the bottom of my pocket so I was puzzled too.

Luigi

16. ddashner

ddashner Loaded Pockets

My cash can came yesterday, ended up giving it to the wife. I'll probably order another for me. As was previously mentioned, the fit and finish is excellent. I must say it was TOUGH to get a bill inside it. I guess that is the drawback to having minimum size - there's not any extra room for the bill.
    Another thought on this - if the center post was square instead of round it would make it much easier to roll the bill around it since it wouldn't spin around the post so easily. I guess this would add to cost though since it would be another step in the manufacturing process. (mill vs. lathe)

17. Codeman

Codeman Loaded Pockets

Got mine today. After folding a bill in thirds along the long axis and then into eighths along the short axis, it was pretty easy to do a single wrap of the bill around the shaft and close her up.

18. Sunshine

Sunshine Empty Pockets

When I first made these, I rolled the bill onto the spindle, with some effort, I might add. Now I fold the bill several times and push over the spindle like a horse shoe. Then I went back to the drawing board and made a larger diameter... ;) I'll have those on the site soon. The 430 model is still on sale. :-X

Thanks everbody for the reviews :)

Sunshine

19. ddashner

ddashner Loaded Pockets

Just ordered one for myself. Looking at the one I put on the wife's keychain was making me jealous.

20. Sunshine

Sunshine Empty Pockets

I haven't tried this, but a small piece of scotch tape may help.

Thanks for the orders ddashner!