1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Case warranty experience?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by GrayMouser, Jan 25, 2016.

1. GrayMouser

GrayMouser EDC Junkie!!!!!

... does anyone have any experience with Case's warranty? I've got a Mini Copperhead that I dearly love but the backspring is so weak the pen blade has no snap whatsoever. I'm afraid it's going to close on my fingers :frantic: if I keep using it. I've cleaned the pivot and oiled it, but not seen any improvement. Is this something they would repair or replace?

I've also got a Slimline Trapper that was my Father's that has so much wear on the blade it's about the size of a Mini Toothpick. I was wondering if anyone has experience with a blade replacement.

I'm prepared to pay for a new blade, but I feel like the weak backspring is something that should be repaired or replaced.

Please advise.

2. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

Case has very good customer service. They will replace the mini copperhead with no questions.

As for blade replacement, I inherited a very old Case peanut from my father when he passed away. Case replaced the worn down main blade for a nominal charge, like 25 dollars or something. Gave the knife a whole new life for another generation. Case is good folks!

GrayMouser and Hangman like this.
  3. chmsam

chmsam Loaded Pockets

Before you send the mini copperhead out get some toothpicks and cotton swabs and gently dig around in every bit of it that you can get to both inside and out with the blades opened fully, partially, and closed. It won't take much effort and it won't take much time. In my experience unless the back spring is defective or broken doing that could well help.

Pockets are full of lint, dirt, and other forms of the dreaded "pocket crud." it's even worse with jeans pockets. It can be pretty hard to see cuz it's dark but it'll take the walk & talk right out of any folder. Use a bright light to work by and it'll help. Might just save your pocket from being lonesome for its Case buddy.

And turning your pockets inside out before you throw things in the wash both cuts down on the dreaded crud and helps you find lots of long lost stuff.

Sent from shouting real loud over the Interwebz.

GrayMouser likes this.
  4. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Which is why I carry my slipjoints in a leather slipcase { :rolleyes: } in my pockets!

L'chaim

Moshe ben David

GrayMouser and IMWILSON like this.
  5. CanvasNBrass

CanvasNBrass Loaded Pockets

I've sent a few knives into Case. If they determine it's a flaw in their design or something that broke because of let's say in your case poor heat treatment they'll just replace the knife. When it comes to actual broken stuff that you did or someone else did they contact you with a price to replace it. It's pretty high in my opinion, but not sky-high. Just make sure on the form you send in with the knife to make sure you circle "yes" if the knives have any sentimental value or else they might end up just being replaced with a newer version without much warning.

GrayMouser likes this.
  6. GrayMouser

Thanks for the replies. I've cleaned it very well, no real difference. It's always been somewhat weak, the more I use it, the worse it gets. No "walk and talk" to speak of at all, kind of a limp noodle;). I do carry it in a pocket slip. I want something with a pull like my GEC knives have, somewhere around an 8.

As far as missing it, I've got other knives to take up the slack while it's gone. I might actually carry my peanut.

I figured it would cost to replace the blade, I just need to decide if I want to do it. It's not a pretty knife, jigged brown delrin scales, but I don't have a lot of my Dad's stuff, and I would carry it if I can get it fixed.

7. GrayMouser

Follow up post: I'm really disappointed in Case's service. I received the copperhead in the exact condition I sent it in. With the exception that it had been sharpened.

Extremely pissed.

What's the GEC pattern that most closely resembles a mini copperhead?

8. CanvasNBrass

CanvasNBrass Loaded Pockets

GEC's warranty department is run by one person and she's really good. I've sent a few things in there in the past and it's always taken care of. Complimentary stuff like if a blade is too hard to pull out, they'll fix. Stuff like that. The closest pattern to the Mini Copperlock? Hard to say. Maybe the liner lock model 73's. I have one of those and I enjoy it daily. Another option might be the new #14 and #15's which can come in single blade versions, but not locking. Go here and take a look at their patterns.
    http://www.collectorknives.net/gec-by-pattern/
    (No affiliation.)

GrayMouser likes this.