1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Case pocket knives not shipping as sharp as before?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Moshe ben David, Jun 1, 2018.

1. Gogogordy

Gogogordy Loaded Pockets

That bites. I’m sorry for you.

And from my own experience returning for sharpening is a royal :censored:, long turnaround times...post office....blah, blah blah. An exchange (in my case...no pun intended) was equally time consuming and in your case with a special Bose, an exchange will yield a different one-of-a-kind specimen. But at the end of the day, the onus falls back on Case and this shouldnt be happening on a premium, and iconic product.

2. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Thanks. I'm not sure if the Bose Tribal Lock in this case is a special one or not. I think all the Tribal Locks are called Bose Tribal Locks because he designed them. Case do of course have some special edition knives also with the Bose name...

Be that as it may, this has been going on for quite some time (at least in my experience) with Case. The pity is that like so many other old-line US manufacturers they don't seem to get it. I've had enough. I'm returning these two knives for credit; even though I'll have to pay postage no doubt.

No wonder GEC is doing so well in the traditional market; and so many of the newly rising Chinese makers are so rapidly gaining market presence. Or at least have been, pending the impact of our Chief Grifter's trade war... That's a whole different rant though so I'll leave off for now! ;)

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

3. Moshe ben David

I had pretty much resolved not to continue to rant on about Case knives....

BUT I could not resist/avoid sharing the following with all y'all!

I am a fan of Nick Shabazz. Now, Nick is in general not a guy who carries let alone reviews traditional slip joints. Although he does seem to admire GEC; even has one in his personal collection. But I digress.

From time to time he undertakes to review a knife at Patreon member requests. His latest it seems is a Case 1993 5 Blade Sowbelly Stockman. Very unusual for him. Whilst he does give compliments on materials, most workmanship, etc., this is not a knife he likes. Nick is not a fan of pinned construction; and for his personal situation he doesn't like being forced to use nail nicks... but those he acknowledges are just the nature of the beast for a Case traditional. He did however have two significant dislikes:

(1) blade play; he seemed to know this is not unusual with slip joints; on the other hand he noted that his experience with GEC DOES NOT show the degree of blade play as in this Case. (pun intended! :) )

(2) But. The biggest UGLY thing? Out of the box he reports all 5 blades WERE NOT SHARP. This on a knife carrying a retail price of $235 according to Mr. Shabazz !?!?! He reported also significant burrs/wire foldover/ and a horrendous sharpening experience. And he (unlike me for instance) knows sharpening. He also notes that knocking off the burrs was challenging... if you view the video, his discussion on this is at about 13 minutes.

If you're curious:

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

ramjet likes this.
  4. Gogogordy

Gogogordy Loaded Pockets

I dont always agree with Nick, but I always find his reviews entertaining. That said I havent added any Case knives to my knife chest for quite sometime for many of those same reasons.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  5. Moshe ben David

I don't always agree on some of his more 'nitpick' complaints either; but he usually admits they are of that sort. On traditional I am not with him with regard to nail nicks; but he admits that is a personal thing for him also.

I've been very negative about Case now for quite a while with special emphasis on their lousy sharpening - especially for their prices, and especially when I compare with say Rough Rider - from whom I've yet to get a knife out of the box that was not sharp and ready to go!

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

6. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

They call them "critics" for a reason. ;) Curious, though, why anyone would pay $235 for a Case slip-joint (not anti-Case, as I own one of their lock blade models), or any other similar knife. My sense of it is they are more collectibles than carry knives. Collectible knives don't have to be sharp. I'm not condemning people who collect things, but it's just not my nature. When I was a boy, almost every male over 6 or 7 yrs old I knew had a Buck, or Case, or Schrade, or Old-Timer and they were sharp because they were kept sharp by the owner. I don't remember them being particularly sharp out of the box...even way back in the Fifties & Sixties.

7. Moshe ben David

Agree. This one it seems was some sort of LE or commemorative or something. A 5 bladed sow-belly with stag covers. Not a run of the mill. Not something I'd buy either - sharp out of the box or not! Apparently Nick reviewed this one in particular because his 'Patreon' fans voted for it in particular. He generally doesn't look at traditional slip joints.

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David