1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Case pocket knives not shipping as sharp as before?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Moshe ben David, Jun 1, 2018.

1. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

So, I'm wondering if my experience of late is common. Or maybe I'm just getting more picky in my old age...

I'm noticing last several months that many Case knives I'm receiving (from multiple retailers -- includes Amazon, BHQ, SMKW, Knives Plus) are not all that well sharpened. Not all of them; but enough. Near as I can tell it isn't the entire length of the cutting edge that is problematic. Most usually somewhere about midpoint on a blade (usually on the primary clip point of a stockman or if a single blade -- well you understand) there seems to be a spot that just snags on the paper I am using for a test cut. I don't seem to see this on the shorter sheeps foot or pen blade of a multi-blade knife. With those shorter blades they either cut or they don't. Usually they do.

I'm not noticing the same thing on blades from others. So I don't think its something I'm doing.

No doubt I can -- and have -- fixed the problem with my Sharpmaker.

Its just annoying, but not annoying enough generally to return the knife.

Is it just me?

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

2. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

I haven't bought a new Case knife in about 4 years, so I don't know what they are like now. I did buy a fair number of them when I was still buying knives.

Their stainless steel is somewhat prone to creating a burr during sharpening, and I have noticed plenty of times that they left the burr on from the factory.

I rarely found a new Case knife (or most other brands for that matter) that was good to go right out of the box. A couple just needed a good stropping to remove the burr, but that still left a relatively coarse edge, which is good enough for some uses. Sometimes the edge was coarse enough to benefit from an initial sharpening.

I am decent at sharpening so putting my own edge on or refining the factory edge of a knife I am going to carry is a normal for me. As long as the grind and bevel is even, and I don't have to do extensive reprofiling (Queen D2), I don't mind if the edge needs a few passes on a stone.

I see you resolved the issue by sharpening, so looks like the problem is solved.

#2 J_C, Jun 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
    Moshe ben David likes this.
  3. Buckeye Jake

Buckeye Jake Loaded Pockets

The only cases I bought lately are the case cv knives. They have all been decent, not great but useable.
    Also i only use stones to sharpen, so 1095 is my favorite.

Jake

4. Bulldog87

Bulldog87 Loaded Pockets

I have not purchased a new one in the past few months, but late last year I bought a couple and they were sharp.

Actually, come to think of it, I bought a Canoe - American Workman Canoe, and it was VERY sharp. IDK if that helps much. I was just looking on their website and may have to get a tribal lock. I'll let you know how it comes!

5. Gogogordy

Gogogordy Loaded Pockets

Ive had som QC issues with some more recent Case knive and sent 2 back for better sharpening....a test of patience as they dont move real fast in the warranty dept.

6. Moshe ben David

Hmm. Well, that sort of matches my experience. Except I just sharpened myself. Wasn't so bad that I couldn't. Just annoyed and disappointed.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

7. Hangman
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Hangman Loaded Pockets

I think the issue is more one of what is sharp enough. For us knife nuts, its a degree of sharp that can easily tree-top hair or better yet whittle it. Based on my experience working with average knife carriers/users, most don't have a clue what sharp is, and let's face it, as long as it cuts, it's sharp enough for them.

garza and Mumbojumboo like this.
  8. Moshe ben David

And THAT'S the 'point' Case is shipping some product that will not cut paper but rather either partially cuts or just tears...

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Hangman likes this.
  9. flphotog

flphotog Loaded Pockets

They are probably just following the British model that says that all knives must be dull enough to not be able to cut anything and must have not point.

10. 9x19

9x19 Loaded Pockets

Umm... scissors?

:D

11. Moshe ben David

umm. I think my reaction to that would look like your avatar! LMAO!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

12. Moshe ben David

So, whilst I'm on my own thread...

Just received a Case Sod Buster I ordered. Horrible. Fit and finish ... how should I put it? ISN'T! Handle looks like its been riding around in a pocket. Grind down of the pivot pin is absolutely uneven. Does NOT cut paper; I can using my fingernail feel metal rolled over for much of the length of the blade. I have several other Sod Busters and Sod Buster Jr.'s . NONE of them like this one.

Yes this one will go back. Vendor is one of our leading ones and they are generally good to deal with, so I'm NOT concerned on that score. Case though? Yup. I'm really getting concerned... Just in case someone ventures to suggest that perhaps this knife may be a clone... I doubt it. This vendor is not someone I'd suspect on that score. Not in the least.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

13. 9x19

9x19 Loaded Pockets

Dang!

I haven't bought a new Case in a decade or more, and it's disheartening to hear they are letting such poor workmanship slip through.

It seems QC sampling and customer returns have taken the place of 100% inspections in many, many manufacturing companies.

14. Moshe ben David

I'm basically retired. But professionally, I was deeply involved in QC/QA both as a staff member at manufacturing concerns and as a consultant.

Leading edge (no, not a knife joke! ;) ) for quite a number of years now do not rely on 100% inspection. There is a maxim among QA folks: '100% inspection ... ISN'T!'. It has been well proven that 100% inspection simply does not work; it is at best 85% effective and THAT is a horrible statistic!

The leading edge regardless of industry, have long emphasized statistical process controls, with controls and sampling not only at the 'end of the line' for finished product but at all key processes. The point (there I go again! ;) ) is to monitor throughout the manufacturing sequence -- properly done this detects processes going off the rails LONG before bad product reaches shipping let alone the customer. It also helps to control costs.

The impetus for this emphasis goes back to the days just after WWII. AMERICAN thought leaders had used the principles in simple form during the war; as part of the rebuilding effort of Japan many were sent there to help rebuild Japanese industry. With stellar results in the Japanese auto industry, electronics, etc. US companies resisted until the 1980's. When they started losing market share big time to the Japanese -- who learned much from the US! Poetic justice, no?

In Japan, leading companies compete for the Deming Award. Here in the US the Federal government, through the Department of Commerce recognizes leading companies via the Baldridge Award.

I know, long response. Hope it was enlightening!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

15. Medic1

Medic1 Loaded Pockets

I suspect the workers at Case are rushed to either fill orders or meet quotas so some quality problems can occur. I have had no problems from Case except maybe one out of a lot of knives. But have seen numerous problems from another US and famous knife co. I think they are rushed to produce quantity.

16. Medic1

Medic1 Loaded Pockets

[QUOTE="Moshe ben David, post: 2674043,

In Japan, leading companies compete for the Deming Award. Here in the US the Federal government, through the Department of Commerce recognizes leading companies via the Baldridge Award.

I know, long response. Hope it was enlightening!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David[/QUOTE]

We use to spend so much time trying understand the Baldridge criteria that we could have done better just focusing on the work.
    So if I receive-buy a knife with a poor edge I just sharpen it up usually in a matter of minutes.

17. Moshe ben David

[QUOTE="Medic1, post: 2674164,

We use to spend so much time trying understand the Baldridge criteria that we could have done better just focusing on the work.
    So if I receive-buy a knife with a poor edge I just sharpen it up usually in a matter of minutes.[/QUOTE]
    That's a pity -- I mean time spent regarding the Baldridge criteria... The whole concept is that the company's processes across departments are set up and managed to produce quality be it in products or services. Set up correctly the Baldridge takes care of itself. And generally provides the additional benefit of helping ensure compliance to such things as ISO 9000 -- essential for companies which export and more and more even for those who don't!

I also usually will just sharpen a knife with a poor edge -- unless it has other issues. In which case back it goes! I'm just finding it disappointing that Case are slipping up so much these days!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

18. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

I've got a teardrop jack in my pocket right now that I'm not terribly happy with either. Covers are horribly mismatched in color- one is a beautiful deep red and the other is nigh neon pink- and one of the covers is both half a millimeter short on one side and has a significant cover-to-liner gap on the same side as the cover-to-bolster gap. The spring on the pen blade is lazy, too. For what I paid- around 45 on show special- i can live with it, but I agree that Case is slipping in QC. This is not the only unsatisfactory knife I have received from them, either.

Now if only I could find a nice red or brown jigged bone Tidioute or, preferably, Un-X-Led two blade, 3.5 inch American jack with nice nickel silver bolsters and a good looking shield in current production that hasn't sold out yet...

Moshe ben David likes this.