1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

carrying wall charger and wire minimal

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by chico13, Nov 5, 2015.

1. chico13

chico13 Loaded Pockets

So yeah I was wondering of different ways to possibly carry a wire and wall charger with my stuff but I don't carry a bag with me everywhere I go was wondering if you guys had any suggestions to carry a wall charger and a charging wire and if you have any suggestions for different types of devices or gadgets for charging please post them. Wire doesn't have to be any specific length maybe a foot or so thanks I'm looking forward to your posts

kertap75 likes this.
  2. Bedlam

Bedlam Loaded Pockets

Put it in a small pocket organiser, a Maxped or something? I keep mine in a micro, which is pretty pocketable (or mine would be if it wasn't crammed full of things) and so is the mini imo.

theirishboxer likes this.
  3. chmsam

chmsam Loaded Pockets

I also like small but heavy duty pouches. Just be sure to get one slightly larger than you think you'll need. Cramming gear into too small a space is a good recipe for failure.

A couple of tips...

- A pouch that's a different color or that has an easy to spot tag or lanyard saves you the hassle of not seeing it the first time and doing a bag dump.

- Not a new idea but I'd suggest carrying a separate charger and cord.

Corded chargers tend to be harder to get compact for carrying. Getting them down to the smallest size also tends to cause the cable to fail where it's connected to the charger.
    Chargers with USB ports tend to be smaller as well. Folding prongs for the wall socket not only take up less room but also don't poke holes in the pouch.

For those who don't already know, using a 2.1 amp charger shouldn't hurt a device that only needs 1 amp. The device only draws what it needs. Input and output voltages are of course still critical.

Give 'em a light and they'll follow it anywhere.

kertap75 and Bedlam like this.
  4. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

I'm working on my USB EDC - here are some ideas. For pocket carry, I'd probably go with a the flat USB wall wart (dead center) and 6" micro USB cord with adaptor heads (left center).

[​IMG]

kikissabiz, Sheep Dog and jag-engr like this.
  5. Sneaky

Sneaky Loaded Pockets

I have a battery pack and a 6 inch cable I toss into bag when I leave. It's good for two charges on my N6. Other than relying on charger in my truck

6. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

I have a battery pack barely bigger than an 18650 battery and a retractable micro USB cable.

I don't really carry a wall wort, but if I did...I'd carry one of the small ones that comes with apple products because they're the smallest.

theirishboxer likes this.
  7. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Maybe one day all wall sockets will have a USB socket also, wouldn't that be nice, you'd just have to carry the cable then, micro USB at the other end so you could charge any device.

Ha ha, that's never going to happen is it,.....and if it did some bugger would change it just to keep us all spending money on new kit.

kertap75 likes this.
  8. Swe_Nurse

Swe_Nurse Loaded Pockets

I doubt we will see it in all places. But it's quite likely that many outlets will have USB ports, especially at schools, offices, coffee shops, hotels and similar venues.

They are currently a bit more expensive but that should go down in the following years. I've already seen it in a few places (computer labs in school) and in a couple of new apartments a friend looked at they were standard in the bedroom and the living room.

kertap75 likes this.
  9. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Here in the UK they are now freely available to buy in the big hi st DIY type stores, still more expensive than buying them on line.

kertap75 and shmook like this.
  10. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

The most compact wall charger that i trust and that actually fits in a pocket would be that flat apple 5W one (a1400, dont buy the a1300 its been recalled). A charging wire should be able to slip in anywhere anytime, theres even charging bracelets (google cabelet for an expensive example) and key pendants.

kertap75 likes this.
  11. DennisM

DennisM Loaded Pockets

That is my current solution, too. It is not intended to get me through a long-term disaster, just through a day or two of unexpected delay in returning to my vehicle or home.

eduardotta likes this.
  12. shmook

shmook Loaded Pockets

Try having to carry a UK 3 pin wall charger!

Bulky as hell :p

enfys likes this.
  13. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Were did you get that flat wall wart?! I've searched high and low for such a device!

I obviously can't top reppan's plug recommendation, but the closest I have come is one made for a Nook. For some reason, the Nook plugs tend to be flatter than the Apple plugs.

Regarding the cords, though, I do have some input. Short cords are easier to carry and don't tangle, but they are often too short to use practically. I prefer to have at least three feet of cord so that I can set my phone or device somewhere safe while it's charging.

I have found that the easiest way to store a cord is to use a "flexible plastic bobbin" (exact term to use in a Google search). They come in several sizes, but I find that the 3.5" diameter works well for cords and the next size down, 2.5" diameter, works well for headphones.

Edit to Add:
    The Chargerito looks very promising, but the crowd-funded project has run into some issues during the UL review process. If they can sort the issues out, the Chargerito is a fascinating concept.

Last edited by jag-engr, Nov 6, 2015
    chico13, reppans and kertap75 like this.
  14. CalicoSalsa

CalicoSalsa Uber Prepared

For normal EDC, I carry a power bank and this 6-in-one short cable. The size of the power bank depends on my anticipated use. For just daily - trips to town, general carry - I use a smaller bank that would just repower my phone. If I'm carrying my iPad and/or think I'll need more juice, I carry a larger bigger-than-a-deck-of-cards power bank that could provide more power. For a trip off island, I'll carry a couple of power banks on plane, as I'm probably watching videos and draining my iPad, or listening to music on my iPhone. On those trips I also carry a Belkin mini surge protector that has two USB drives. That way I can plug in laptop or devices and not worry about them getting fried, plus power up everything. If we are renting a car I'll add a auto/wall version as jag-engr is showing.

Here's a photo of my preferred cable. It has USB for connecting to the power bank or wall, Apple 30-pin for my older iPad, Apple lightning for my iPhone, 2 mini USB, and 1 micro USB. I got it as a sample from one of my supplier factories, unfortunately now discontinued after Apple filed a cease & desist for the proprietary lightning connector. The newer versions offer USB + 1 micro, 2 mini, and optional Apple certified adaptor or added cable (with higher prices to pay Apple).

I love this short multi-cable, it handles my devices including earbud. If I'm going somewhere that I think will require a longer cord, I add in a USB extension cord.

[​IMG]

15. Westerdutch

Well it reads 'Bose' so my guess is that if you search for bose usb charger youll get somewhere....

jag-engr likes this.
  16. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

So it does. I actually zoomed in on the charger to try to ID it, but I missed that.

A quick Google search reveals that it appears to be the "BOSE 329679".

17. Cody_2ZZ

Cody_2ZZ Loaded Pockets

You could try some kind of Skinth or maybe homemake a kind of Altoids tin carrier. That's how I carry headphones without making a mess of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. phatch

phatch Loaded Pockets

With the Quick Charge version 1 and 2 phones on the market now, it's not just about 2.1 amps, but some interplay between the phone and the charger. You can still charge from these older units, true, but the charge rate is slow. There are also now voltage boosts for some phone chargers for speed. You need to know what your phone is designed for and use that if fast charging is important to your EDC. If trickle speeds are OK for you, then you have many small inexpensive options to choose from.

19. Westerdutch

2amps is by no means trickle charge, i dare you to find any phone that has a battery over 4Ah, after losses one could roughly say that in a worst case scenario you get 2Ah capacity per hour with a charger like that.... so thats over half a battery an hour. Granted its no 80% in half an hour but its still no slouch. For a portable backup a 2A regular charger that you can actually carry on you will beat anything you will not carry because its so bloody bulky.

20. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

Yeah sorry I'm back late, it came with a Bose Color Bluetooth Speaker I got as a gift. I seems to be sold separately on Amazon if you search for "Bose bluetooth headset wall charger."