1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Carrying Tactical Pens.

Discussion in 'Personal Security Devices & Self-Defense' started by Monocrom, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

I've carried a variety of these in a back-pocket, one at a time. The following has happened with nearly all of them. I reach into the back-pocket of my pants to take it out . . . and sometimes only the cap comes out.

One was a Fred Perrin Concepts pen with a rather weak snap-cap. All the others used threads. With the Hinderer custom pen, it's less of an issue; since most of the pen comes out of the pocket if the cap falls off. (Basically, you can still defend yourself quite effectively if needed.) However, with all of the other pens that use a threaded cap, the clip is on the cap. So only the cap comes out if you reach for the pen.

Thankfully, I've only had to reach for my tactical pens to use them as just pens. Still, not a great feeling when only the cap comes out of the pocket. The threads work themselves loose due to sliding in & out of the driver's seat of the patrol vehicle. Do that a few times, and the pen has a tendency to work itself loose. Loose enough that the cap pops off when you reach for the pen in a hurry. I've had this happen with pens costing nearly $100, and with those under $25.

Something to keep in mind if you prefer to carry a tactical pen in the back-pocket of your pants, and you often get up and sit down.

As for me, I'm going to use a twist-action, metal, ballpoint pen. Doesn't have to be tactical to work well for self-defense.

2. Boy SureFire

Boy SureFire May The Bridges I Burn Light The Way

I never carry anything except for short knives/lights temporarily in the B-pockets unless they have the slash cut, for many reasons including yours. My pen stays in the front pockets where it's most useful.

3. Mister Scribble

Mister Scribble Loaded Pockets

I only carry them in a front shirt pocket or dress jacket inside pocket. Those with both a clip and
    a keyring clip nicely to a belt sheath and seem to stay put. Screw caps invariably loosen, though.
    I have yet to see one with a positive click closure.

4. saniterra

saniterra Loaded Pockets

I have one of the Schrade tactical pens and I carry it in my small Daytimer. Looks more innocuous there - could probably get on a plane with it.

5. Cobra 6 Actual
    • +1 Supporter

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

Monocrom, I don't carry them in my back pocket (most of the other posters don't either). But, it may help you to put an O-ring at the base of the threads. I've found that when tightening down one of my pens the use of the O-ring creates that extra little bit of tension that keeps the cap on it in my front pocket. Might work for you.

6. 50ft-trad

50ft-trad Loaded Pockets

I quite like the rite-in-the-rain version of this type, and though I too have only ever used it for it's primary purpose i.e. writing, it feels like it could be quite an effective persuader. Not too slippery either which can be an issue with some other metal twisties. Stopped carrying pens in B pockets years ago though due to inadvertant breakage/leakage so its outer edge of FR pocket or shirt/jacket for me

EDIT: My RITR is a one piece / top half clickie NOT twist, but same story otherwise

7. FreestyleAssassin

FreestyleAssassin Empty Pockets

I strongly second the Schrade tactical pen! I most often wear a polo shirt and carry it clipped vertically benieth the first button of the shirt so only the pen cap and clip are exposed. When going full suit I carry the Schrade in the breast pocket, when wearing a dress shirt I substitute a heavy barrel Cross brand pen.

8. Mister Scribble

Mister Scribble Loaded Pockets

The Hinderer Ti pen has a keyring, and it fits nicely into one of those small flashlight sheaths and the clip helps to hold it there. That's my favorite carry outside of a shirt pocket.

9. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the replies guys.

I carry in a back-pocket because I've heard of police officers who had suspects reach up, grab the officer's pen out of their shirt pockets, and stab them with it. Not usually a problem, unless the LEO forgot to put on his vest that day.

I actually have a Schrade pen. (Along with the Mil-tac pen it is copied from.) Ironically, I like the Schrade version better because it's a bit thicker. But the clip is way too tight for carrying in the back-pocket of even a pair of thin dress-pants.

I've noticed County Comm is using an o-ring on their s.s. version of the Embassy pen. I'll try to find a small enough o-ring to fit my tactical pens. Perhaps that'll fix the main problem.

Haven't tried the rite-in-the-rain pen. But it'll be part of my next lighthound.com order.

Hinderer pens are fantastic! I'll never part with my bronze-colored, aluminum model.

10. JT

JT Loaded Pockets

I hated that too, until I made a decision:
    I just put a drop of soft loc-tite on the threads.. and I don't use my SD-oriented pens as writing instruments at all. I use the snap cap-ones for writing.
    I usually have several pens on me, of which at least one is meant for SD only.

11. GRIFFINHAWKS

GRIFFINHAWKS Banned

With no offence to anyone and only expressing my personal opinion,
    I am a responsible owner/carrier ( now or at one time or another ) of handguns, large and small knives, dirks, kubatons, nun chuck, batons, shortsticks, throwing stars, icepicks, daggers, swords, and other devices that are all considered 'self defence' or 'deadly weapons' .

In all my travels (all lower 48's) I have never been in a confrontation were I had to defend my life (fortunately) .
    I also spend a lot more $$ on these items (mostly tool realted these days) more than the average person,
    hence, inevitably being a member of this forum, which leeds me to say that offering a $100 pen to defending myself with,
    no matter how beefy or grippy it may be is by far one of the most capitalistic plot/ventures targeted toward the hard working American citizen that chooses to defend themselves I've seen in years !

In the act of defence I can reach for my leagaly carried razor sharp 3" spring assisted blade just as fast as reaching for a pen with far more effective results and far less money let alone, more usefulness otherwise .

Granted not every state or country allows one to carry a blade or weapon and these are not yet fully defined by law as such, but give it some time and these 'pens' will also be on 'the list' .

By posting this I realize opening my self to criticism and perhaps ridicule but please do understand this is only a personal opinion with no intention targeted in a derogatory manner toward any owner of such device .

Enjoy them as you will but it's just not for me .

BE WELL .. GH

12. straightpuke

straightpuke Loaded Pockets

I want a pen with a window breaker just to have the window breaker on me at all times and have a pen also since I do not carry one. If I really did have to defend myself, I would use my knife as a last resort.

13. dewildeman

dewildeman Loaded Pockets

The attraction of a "tactical" pen for SD is that it is a less than lethal option that is also mulit-purpose. I've got a Timberline/Lightfoot pen that I replaced with a Fisher Space Pen that suited my needs better. I still might try a Schrade.

14. jda

jda Loaded Pockets

less lethal imho is a load of ****as far as the pointy pens go
    when i am under stress my control over the amount of force i exert is lost
    i apply my full streingth all of the time, when in fear for my well being, the tac pen will embed it self in the attacker and is then a lethal impliment
    personly a flash light is the safest way ,for me, to apply large amounts of force in a small area

15. firemedic183

firemedic183 Loaded Pockets

I have a very simple solution!!! Purchase the Surefire EW-1 Pen. I am not 100% sure about the model number but it is their origional pen. I have used it extensively for the past 2 years both on and off duty. This is a twist style pen so the cap won't come off. Additionally the pen is designed to accept any size refill. The pen is built like a tank and has a glass breaker incorporated into the non writing end of it. I would guess that this is THE pen that you have been looking for. Oh one more thing...The ink cartridge has YET to run out of ink!!!

16. dewildeman

dewildeman Loaded Pockets

Not all tac pens have pointy ends. The idea is to use them like a kubaton, not poke holes in someone. Going by your definition my tweezers are a lethal impliment.

17. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

I know the one you mean. I'm considering getting it. For now, I'm waiting on a Tom Andersson pen from EDC Depot.

18. JT

JT Loaded Pockets

That EW-01 is one big and solid pen. I like mine. Not for shirt pockets though.. I carry mine LF pocket.
    Is that Tom anderson pen Alu or SS? if you google a bit, it's being sold as "strong aluminium frame" and "textured stainless steel shaft". the price and the pics are the same always. I'd imagine its alu, but if it's SS, i GOT to get me one..

19. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

I believe it is a combination of mainly aluminum with an SS shaft.

20. twinboysdad

twinboysdad Loaded Pockets

I have a lightfoot tactical that is tough and has all the bells and whistles, but also $25 overpriced! It is always with me though and easily accessed