1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Carrying multiple items in pocket (without interfaces)

Discussion in 'Other Carrying Devices' started by nuclear_shooter, Apr 23, 2014.

1. nuclear_shooter

nuclear_shooter Loaded Pockets

In my right pocket I carry my Preon 1 and BM 940. I don't love having two things clipped to the same pocket. I makes getting to the items a bit annoying and they could potentially damage the finish on each other (if you care about such things). Maybe there is no solution to such a problem. I prefer both these items in my right pocket since I'm right handed.

How do you guys carry your flashlight/knife/other items with a pocket clip? Do you only carry one clip item per pocket? I'm not willing to move either item to my belt. I would consider a pocket organizer but would like the knife to be quickly accessible.

Posted this here since I didn't know a better subforum.

2. docer
    • In Omnia Paratus

docer Loaded Pockets

my right pocket is knife and flashlight. If i have two clip items i just clip one up and let the other ride in the bottom of my pocket. I wear dickies though so the pockets a bit deeper.

3. Darth_Firebolt

Darth_Firebolt Loaded Pockets

Right front is flashlight and wallet, while my knife is clipped in my right rear pocket.

ItJustDiz likes this.
  4. eng1nerd

eng1nerd Loaded Pockets

My knife rides right rear and my light is clipped right front along with a pilot G2 and a Sharpie.

5. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

One clip per pocket, if I carry more than one things with a pocket clip. Normally I only carry one thing with a clip, and that is a small Boker Keycom knife with a flashlight hanging from it. Anything else is loose in pockets, but I don't really carry a lot of gear.

6. UCChris

UCChris Loaded Pockets

I wear cargo shorts so I have no shortage of pockets. One clip per HIGH USE pocket for me. Any more and it drives me nutso! Leatherman and pen clipped into pocket on the outside of the left velcro pocket, keys on a dangler and chapstick in my left front, small folder and phone in front right, flashlight and lighter in the small outside pocket of the right velcro pocket, wallet and larger folder in the rear right pocket, first aid kit complete w/ gum in right velcro pocket. Once I get my CCW and start carrying a Ruger LCP in a wallet holster things will need to move a bit.

7. dcmassena

dcmassena Loaded Pockets

I'm annoyed by the same thing. I took my SAK off of the p-7 clip because I had that, my Delica, my keys and my flashlight all clipped to my two front pockets. I didn't like so many things clipped. Now I think I might start carrying my keys loose again, that way I only have my Delica clipped in the right front and my zebralight clipped in my left front.

8. GQP

GQP Loaded Pockets

I prefer empty pockets... or at least as empty as I can get them..

Pocket knife clipped inside front right pocket
    Nothing in front left pocket
    Wallet in back right pocket
    Phone in back left pocket

Multitool, Flashlight, Flash Drive, Lockpicks, Needle\Thread, Safety Pin and other tiny items in a rig the is strapped to my right ankle
    Glock 26 on left ankle

I wear dress slacks and they do not favor items stuffed in the pockets.

9. BarksAtCats
    • In Omnia Paratus

BarksAtCats Loaded Pockets

I wear Carpenter Pants so there are 2 small pockets lower down on my right leg. I have my Vic Explorer (on a TEC P7 clip) and my yo-yo in my right front pocket. I clip my flashlight in the top pocket (just below my right front pocket) and I keep a Bic lighter in the bottom pocket. Phone and wallet in left front pocket. I don't carry anything in my rear pockets if I can help it.

c99camper likes this.
  10. nuclear_shooter

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have modified how I carry everything now. Have tried it for a day or so. Knife and wallet in right pocket, cell phone and flashlight in the other. However this still leaves my keys. I hate carrying them them free, so I may just double clip on the left side. I don't have my P7 yet, so will experiment when that shows. I do wear cargo shorts in the summer but in the winter I generally wear slacks so thats not really an option. I also like to leave the lower pockets free for other small items I might need for work.

11. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

I think another "approach" one might have is figuring out which item (light knife multi tool pen as a generic setup) is used most to the least and if one is left or right handed. So for example, if you're right handed, you probably want your most used item (let's say your light) on your right pocket. Then your second most used item (let's say knife) on your back right pocket (still right hand use) then third most used (let's say multi tool ie Vic cadet) in your coin pocket (again still right hand side) then least used item can go on your opposite side (left pocket or back left pocket)

I've recently found this approach not too long ago and it has helped keep things consistent as far as accessibility and utility.

I'm left handed so in terms of accessibility, my left pocket is most dominant, then back left, then back right, then right pocket. Almost like a counter clockwise motion.

My most used item is my flashlight so that naturally goes clipped on my left pocket. Then second most used is my knife so back left pocket. Third is my handker so back right, fourth is my multi tool (victorinox Alox), and fifth is a pen which goes in my coin pocket.

nuclear_shooter likes this.
  12. nuclear_shooter

Great advice! The only change I would make is: even though I probably use my light more, I would like it to be on my left hand side (I'm right handed) in the unlikely event I have to deploy my sidearm and the light. Also I find using the light with my offhand isn't as unnatural for me as most other tasks.

13. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

That works too! Given that i have a dominant left side that runs counter clockwise, there are times I don't carry a knife and use my Alox instead and given with my rule,
    I'm supposed to move it where my knife was and move my pen where my multi tool is, I don't. I keep everything where it is.

14. nuclear_shooter

I develop muscle memory on where things are, so if I switched things around, I'd reach for the wrong pocket! I know some guys who can keep track of it though.

How do you find carrying a knife in your rear pocket? I feel like that might be worse than even a wallet.

15. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

I'm used to it. I don't carry a big bulky knife. A mini griptilian isn't a thick knife and I don't like knives that are thick anyway. If anything, the mini grip isn't as thin as the knives I used to own (delica, cryo etc). I got a PM2 on the way and that isn't as thick either as per say.. A dpx hest, zt etc

16. Ironside

Ironside Loaded Pockets

I carry a Preon 1 with a clip right front and a SAK Executive left front on a P7 with a bit of paracord looped around it and an M2 parabead to help pull it out faster. I tuck it in so it basically disappears.
    Then I put wallet in a front pocket either side. Keys go wherever wallet isn't.

The Preon activates sometimes plus it has been known to go missing while sitting down so I am rethinking this.
    Here's the Exec P7 with a V11R
    [​IMG]

17. nuclear_shooter

One tip on the Preon that may work for you is if its daytime out I will uscrew the Preon head a quarter turn. This makes sure it wont come on (you can test it). If I'm going for a walk at night, I will screw it back in so I have it quickly accessible.

Ironside likes this.
  18. ausgebombt

ausgebombt Loaded Pockets

Right front= medium folder

Right front watch pocket= lighter or copper maratac aaa

on right hip= victorinox spirit x or medium fixed blade

left front= iphone5

back right= rustico moneyclip

back left= remains open for temporary use of random stuff throughout the day

Left hip belt loop= keys

19. nicknapp

nicknapp Loaded Pockets

I'm right handed and I hate having things loose in my pocket. With that in mind, this is my current set up:

Front right pocket - knife
    Side note - I think the idea of putting your most used item there is a good one, but despite my knife being my second most used item (to my flashlight) I like having the best access to it.

Front left pocket (from back to front) - maxmadco pen, stainless sharpie, preon 2, flash drive on P-7. When I need to carry ChapStick, a second flash drive, or my bluetooth they will go loose in this pocket. I do occasionally run into problems with the Preon 2 turning on in pocket.

Right rear - wallet

Left rear - notepad

Phone and multi-tool on right hip.

Keys (and goodies) on carabiner clipped to belt loop.

I'm not 100% happy with it, but I have yet to find a system that works better for me.

20. ItJustDiz

ItJustDiz Loaded Pockets

For me it really depends on the carry for the day, and more so and possibly even a deciding factor for that carry is what I'm wearing on my legs.

In casual jeans, I often have my folder clipped to my right rear pocket as I'm right handed. This has mostly often been a Cryo II, not a small knife, and it doesn't bug me one bit (careful if you are a tip-up kinda guy tho, I have perfect puncture wound in a nice pair of jeans thanks to a RAT I starting to deploy as I sat). In this casual case I also have my very minimal wallet in the right rear, and a pen and/or light clipped on right front, depending on activity and pocket size, with one or two items loose in the front right. When I'm at work there is a pocket for all things clipped or dipped, as I wear Carhartts.

Muscle memory for me is reserved for keys (changing soon to a custom belt loop I'll be making), phone and wallet. always in the same place unless I'm in gym shorts.

One thing that I personally have found, is that the digging in pockets that have things clipped on is much more annoying when the clipped thing is short. The pens and lights I carry go almost to the bottom of the pocket, so your hand doesn't get snagged pulling anything out. Just my ยข2- size matters.