1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

carrying baby aspirin

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by timbo937, Dec 15, 2011.

1. billfires

billfires Empty Pockets

I use an aluminum pill fob that I picked up at Harbor Freight that cost 2 or 3 dollars. The containers for nitro tabs are generally too small for baby aspirin. The most effective way to take 4 81mg chewable baby aspirin is to chew them and let them be absorbed under your tongue. Bill C

2. Bolster

Bolster Loaded Pockets

REI has airtight disk-like .5 oz containers that I use for pills. If I were having a heart attack I'd have no problem chewing a regular aspirin. That's not the moment at which I'd object to its taste.

3. ramjet

ramjet Loaded Pockets

You are refering to "Reyes Syndrome" and yes you are correct. ASA or aspirin is a large molecule that will detach and burn the optic nerves in small children.. Resulting in blindness. Tylonol and other commercial brands are safer for kids. But, as is always the case, Ibuprofen, Acetomenophen are nasty to older adults in large quanities. Especially people with limited Kidney and liver function. Be sure to ask your physician if the dosage may present complications in your case. Take care. BTW....4 81mg. aspirin is a good thing.

4. timbo937

timbo937 Empty Pockets

Thanks for everyone's feedback. I was looking for factory sealed packs as they would probably have an expiration date on them. Apparently, aspirin can turn nasty (i.e. poisonous) if used much past its expiration date.

For now, I'll go with the pill fob and put the expiration date on the outside on a label.

As for the question about what state, I have a EMT-B license in Ohio. Our protocol for the municipality I worked in was to call MC for all meds. I currently do not work as a firefighter/EMT as I no longer can commit to the time that they now require.

Again, thanks for everyone's input.

5. coach_d

coach_d Banned

Small capsule with cotton would seem to be the best. I do it. I also carry some reg 325g asprin for anyone having difficulty.

6. Blackbeagle
    • In Omnia Paratus

Blackbeagle Loaded Pockets

Once upon a time Bayer used to have aspirin in power form - sort of like the drink straws you add to a bottle of water. I can't seem to find them, but they used to be directly drinkable so the taste was buffered. If I recall, it was also about 625mg - roughly a double dose. You may want to see if you can find those.

7. Rattlesnake

Rattlesnake Loaded Pockets

Servus!

I beleve that you are referring to Goody's Headache Powders - http://www.goodyspowder.com/Products.aspx

Strangely, only popular in the southern U.S. Loved using them when I was stationed at Ft. Campbell, really fast relief.

According to their product palette, most of what they offer is an acetaminophen and aspirin mixture. Not sure if that's something you can use but I can recommend this for EDCers that want quick and effective headache/pain relief. Shame I can't get them here in Germany.

8. Janvier

Janvier Loaded Pockets

Fun fact: Para-acetylaminophenol.

para-acetylaminophenol = paracetamol

para-acetylaminophenol = tylenol

para-acetylaminophenol = acetaminophen

9. Todesfrosch

Todesfrosch Loaded Pockets

if janvier is right that means that in germany the same pill would be thomapyrin

10. tinker gnome
    • In Omnia Paratus

tinker gnome Loaded Pockets

I remember a few years ago there was a wave of kids in the UK committing suicide by using overdose of Paracetamol. Not a nice death, and if you change your decision, you need liver and kidney transplant... :brickwall:

11. Rattlesnake

Rattlesnake Loaded Pockets

I'll look into it. I usually ask for the 400 mg ibu from Ratiopharm. Shockingly expensive...

12. Todesfrosch

Todesfrosch Loaded Pockets

Thomapyrin costs about 3-5€ per 20 pills

13. msp1jpp

msp1jpp Loaded Pockets

Good thread I did not know about not giving asprin to under age 18'ers