1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Carrying Ammo

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Johnny_Z, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Johnny_Z

Johnny_Z Loaded Pockets

I'm not sure if this goes here or in bags, so here goes.

For those who carry a gun in their bag, how do you carry the ammo? In the factory box, a plastic bag, nylon loop carriers, some other method?

2. texasjeepjunkie

texasjeepjunkie Empty Pockets

It seems to me, from all of the pictures I've seen around here, that most people carry an extra magazine, or two.
    If you mean carrying one hundred rounds or more for a long term situation, I think the best solution would be in the factory styrofoam "egg crates". This keeps the ammo sorted by caliber and load.

3. StorminMormon

StorminMormon Empty Pockets

Not sure I understand the point of the thread - do you mean ammo in excess of whatever you carry "in the gun and extra magazine(s)"? If so, I purchase a plastic box to store it in. I usually carry my Walther P99c Compact with an extra magazine for a total of 21 rounds 9mm. When I travel long distances, I carry an extra plastic box of 100 rounds. That's just a preference - there's no real "logical" reason for doing that other than it's what I like. Above all, carry the extra ammo so that it is protected from being bumped up against something else so that it doesn't mishape the casing or the bullet head.

4. Spydermonkey

Spydermonkey Loaded Pockets

I just carry extra mags, loose ammo is too much of a pain. Loose ammo makes noise and ammo boxes take up space. If you need it in an emergency a full mag is easier to deal with than trying to re-stuff an empty when fine motor skills go in the toilet during the adrenaline dump.

5. Trickster

Trickster Loaded Pockets

Being from a "no-guns" nation, I don't own a gun so I don't know if I'm exactly qualified to talk about the topic...

Anyways: If I had a gun I would carry loaded magazines and save myself the hassle of carrying loose ammo. For a revolver I would use quick loaders to keep it together. I have also seen EDC / BOB bag pictures where people used stripper clips to keep their ammo together.

I you really want to carry loads of ammo how about an otter box with a foam insert that keeps the cartridges in place?

6. Johnny_Z

Johnny_Z Loaded Pockets

Ah, I should have clarified; right now I'm carrying a wheel gun so there are no magazines for me.

Oh well, just thought I'd ask.

7. heathah

heathah Loaded Pockets

For my Ruger SP101, I use a couple HKS Speedloaders to carry extra ammo. This gives me 5 rounds in the revolver plus an additional 10 in the two Speedloaders for a total of 15 rounds. Enough for me for EDC use.

I've also seen many people use Speed Strips but I cannot attest to their success myself.

Thanks.

Heath

8. BigV

BigV Loaded Pockets

Get a couple of speed loaders to carry with you.
    They are only about $10.00 each and allow for quicker reload and no loose rounds to fumble with.
    [​IMG]

9. Spydermonkey

Spydermonkey Loaded Pockets

I use the speed strips for my 642. They take a bit to get used to and are slower but they are easier to carry that the conventional speed loaders.

10. tpd223

tpd223 Empty Pockets

11. Flight-ER-Doc

Flight-ER-Doc Loaded Pockets

We keep an assortment of ammunition (in different calibers) in each vehicle, mostly in factory packaging that goes into an ammo box. We have
    5.56 SS109 1 battle pack + 20 rnd tracer
    12 ga 50 rnds total, in bandoleer shot slug buck tracer and breaching
    .357 18 rnds 125 JHP +P+ 6 rnds 158 gr +P+ 6 Corbon, 6 Tracer 6 shot
    .45 50 Rnds corbon
    .22 LR 200 rnds CCI minimag HP
    9mm 50 rnds 6 tracer 44 Corbon
    .308 1 battle pack + 12 tracer, 12 APIT
    7.62x39 1 battle pack + 12 tracer

In each BoB, we have a box of 100 rounds .22LR (CCI mini-mag), and a box of 50 rounds of .45ACP, 35 rounds of JHP, 5 rounds of snake loads and 10 rounds of tracer. This is in addition to the loaded mags we normally have with us. The .22LR is for the .22 conversion kits that stay in the BoB's.

12. protaganis

protaganis Loaded Pockets

I carry both a semi-auto and a revolver.
    For the revolver I carry loose ammo (mainly because finding a 5 round .45 cal speedloader is a pain, but if I find a decently made inexpensive one, I will buy several) I keep the .410 rounds in a green plastic ammo box (30 round capacity), the back of the rounds are colored (with a magic marker) either blue for slug or no color for buckshot. The holster I have also holds 12, .410 shells
    For the semi-auto, I have 5 magazines loaded and ready (in addition to 1 on the holster) I have painted a small patch of glow paint on the bottom of several magazines denoting differing things (-= hollowpoints, +=mixed ammo, nothing is standard ball ammo) I also have 50 rounds in a red plastic box with the rounds marked with blue for hollowpoint and standard ball rounds remain unpainted.
    I also carry 2 unloaded magazines for just in case situations.
    These tricks are only because we tend to spend several nights on site and could be involved in situations in dark and near dark conditions.

13. BigV

BigV Loaded Pockets

Instead of a speed loader try these full moon clips. Just drop the loaded clip into the revolver and close the cylinder. The clips are re-usable and around $12.00 for a pack of 10 and a loading tool.
    [​IMG]

14. Texas

Texas Empty Pockets

Extra mags, speedloaders or small zip baggies.
    Choices are limitless.

15. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

Fortunately the same speedloader fits my Dan and my Smith!

16. Japeatr

Japeatr Loaded Pockets

I take it you have a Taurus Judge? How is that for EDC?

17. aldo_vic_t

aldo_vic_t Loaded Pockets

I carry my extra ammo in plastic ammo boxes (50rs per box), that way i can shift it around whatever, if its on a 100rd box it'll a bit on the heavy side.