1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Carrying a spare fountain pen cartirdge

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by bquinlan, Jul 7, 2012.

1. bquinlan

bquinlan Loaded Pockets

I recently discovered a trick that I thought might be useful to some of you. I carry a Pilot Namiki Vanishing Point fountain pen every day. Since the ink does dry out over time I like to carry a spare cartridge with me. My problem was that I didn't have any way to keep it from getting smashed in my pocket until recently.

I just received a stainless steel Pocket Pics toothpick holder from Amazon that is almost exactly the right size to hold a spare ink cartridge. It is solidly built, has a screw-on top, and comes with a removable pocket clip, all for $7. I am very pleased with mine.

--Bob Q

Syclone1436, mrlysle and mooshisho like this.
  2. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

Neat. Thanks for sharing. :) I've been using Altoids Smalls tins. Fits international standards perfect. The longer proprietary ones (Lamy, certain Parker ones, and... Platinum) don't fit, but those usually last me throughout the day so I don't have to worry. :)

mrlysle likes this.
  3. Kripto

Kripto Evil Sid

I go at it a bit differently.. I keep a small plastic vial of ink with me and refill the pen using it's filler.. I don't really like the ink cartridges because they don't hold a lot of ink and they do tend to run dry faster..

mrlysle likes this.
  4. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

^ I got too annoyed with fillers when I was out. At home I'll still use them, but when I'm out, I'll usually grab a cartridge pen. :)

mrlysle likes this.
  5. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stonerman33 Loaded Pockets

I rarely carry a fountain pen, and carry a refill for it even less frequently, but what I did was grab one of those spray hand sanitizers from walgreens for a buck or so. (It comes in a container like this... http://www.garrettspecialties.com/images/products/spray-pen-hand-sanitizer-3-1008-304283.jpg) When I used it up, I just cleaned it out, and the small tube is great for tossing in fountain pen cartridges or other pen refills. Mine DID meet a can of spraypaint to give it a bit more neutral appearance, however.

6. Zac S.

Zac S. Loaded Pockets

Heres what I use mine for...

Sanded the painted finish off. I have this thing for brushed metal lol)
    [​IMG]

SPARE EARBUDS W/MIC!!
    [​IMG]

7. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

I have a 1 dram glass vial that's great for carrying several refills. Got them at the organic grocery for my partners aromatherapy stuff but swiped one as a portable ink well.

8. jzmtl

jzmtl Loaded Pockets

Go with a converter that you can fill anytime is much easier, more ink options as well.

9. jdcovington1122

jdcovington1122 Loaded Pockets

What kind of cartridges and pen do you use??????
    Thanks for the heads up.

10. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

:) it was in the first paragraph of his post.

Pen: Pilot/Namiki Vanishing Point (oh so envious of this!)
    Cartridge: likely a proprietary Pilot cartridge

jdcovington1122 likes this.
  11. mhphoto

mhphoto Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the tip! I only ever use converters in my C/C pens, but I don't often carry any C/C pens (I usually have a piston filler with me), but when I do I usually keep a cartridge with me in case the converter runs dry. Heck of a lot easier than carrying a vial of ink everywhere. :)

mooshisho likes this.
  12. thwippa
    • In Omnia Paratus

thwippa Loaded Pockets

It's been about a decade now since I've held palaver with a fountain pen, but when we used to need them for school, a lot of us would stick an extra cartridge into the tail end of the pen, upside-down.
    I think that the volume of ink in two smaller cartridges was a little more than a large one. Can't really be sure on account of how long it's been.

mooshisho likes this.
  13. jdcovington1122

jdcovington1122 Loaded Pockets

Thanks mooshisho, i don't know how i missed that haha. So how big are the pilot cartridges compared to the lamy cartridges?

14. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

I can't say for certain since I use Monteverde's Lamy compatible cartridges.

They are roughly the same length. The Pilot ones seem a smidge wider.

However, because Pilot nibs run thinner than Lamy's, the Pilot cartridges last a whole lot longer for me. (edit: I'm on my final 1/4 Pilot cartridge after 1 whole month of notetaking with the Pilot Prera in Fine nib.)

I can't comment on the sizes of their respective converters, though.

Last edited by mooshisho, Sep 20, 2012
  15. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

I do that for some of my pens, but more often than not, the second one doesn't fit. :( Usually though, an "international long" (such as Waterman's) will do just fine. :)