1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Carrying a knife through multiple countries in Europe

Discussion in 'Travel' started by TomInOregon, Nov 16, 2010.

1. jstert

jstert Loaded Pockets

im traveling in philippines and indonesia at the moment, here 3 times/year, and spent last two summers in uk, france, poland and lithuania. used ebay-bought sak plus mini flashlight always on me, plus a $4 walmart multitool. i usually gift the latter before i return to u.s.

btw the best europe is east of the danube.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

europe has no 'best'

Moshe ben David

3. thegrouch314

thegrouch314 Loaded Pockets

My advice would be to buy a cheap SAK or MT as others have pointed out.

The laws vary so much around western europe so generally keep it small, out of sight and not 'threatening'. Go for something non-locking and not a one-hander but accept that it might get confiscated. I know France prohibits all bladed items now but it's-very unlikely you'll be arrested unless you're waving around a junglas in a shopping mall or something. Use your head, keep it in your pocket and you should be alright.

I have a SAK type tool that I use exclusively when I'm in France, 2-3 times a year. I picked it up for £1, took the blade off with a dremel so it complies with the law, just to be on the safe side but my grandfather who lives in France half the year always have an Opinel (no 8 I believe) in his shirt pocket and has never had a problem. As with all things, YMMV

4. speedy

speedy Loaded Pockets

Carrying a knife in some places are illegal.

5. Rebel

Rebel Loaded Pockets

And in other places the law is silent. Like the Czech Republic :)

We routinely bring OTF autos to work to show our buddies and nobody is offended or arrested. And I drink beer at my desk occasionally.

This is the worst country in Europe, the weather sucks, the women are horrible, the beer stinks. Don't come here! :p

6. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

That made me laugh. I work in Texas. A coworker had his Vic Classic in his hand and another coworker from India called it a weapon which she said she would report to HR. Several pointed out a weapon has to be greater than 4 1/2”.

She was reminded she had 4” scissors and a 3” pairing knife on her desk. All of which are more dangerous than a Vic Classic. She attempted to justify those items were not as threatening as the Vic Classi because of the purpose (whatever purpose means).

Last edited by garza, Jul 21, 2018
    #26 garza, Jul 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
    Moshe ben David likes this.
  7. Adam Ng

Adam Ng Loaded Pockets

Smaller Opinel be discreet about carrying it. Use and throw away as needed.

garza and Mumbojumboo like this.
  8. Moshe ben David

@garza: your posting about the reaction of the lady from India rings true. Reminds me of some of my own experiences out there. I've also lately been seeing a few videos on YouTube discussing how in Japan (yeah, home of knife culture or so we all think!), even a SAK Classic has been known to land a tourist in jail for a week or so! In Tokyo at least.

Who woulda thunk?

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

garza likes this.
  9. Rebel

Rebel Loaded Pockets

I always say Czech Republic is the Texas of Europe. Take a look at who runs the best barbecue joints in Texas and you'll understand the connection.

Actually, a knife is legal in Texas up to and including 5 1/2 inches. There have been a lot of changes in the past decade or so but I don't believe the length specification has changed.

10. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

I am very familiar with the Czech and German festivals in central Texas and the hill country.

You maybe correct about the knife length. The fact she had larger blades while singling out a small folder indicates she is drama queen or ignorant activist as to a real threat.

11. Moshe ben David

12. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

Correct but location restrictions can be placed on the large fixed blades such as a machete.

I carried my Buck Stockman to jury duty which was opened and handed to me. I use my concealed carry permit to bypass security scanning at the state Capitol even though I have never carried into the Capitol. I avoid the long security lines.

Trench knives are illegal (brass knuckles) as are gravity knives (not the NYC definition which includes every folder). Location restrictions for knives greater than 5/5" are amusement parks, airports, churches (or other places of worship), correctional facilities, courthouses, nursing homes, hospitals, mental hospitals, polling places, racetracks, schools or sporting events. Establishments which generate 51% of their revenue from the sale of alcohol is included as a location restricted place.

#32 garza, Jul 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
  13. Rebel

Rebel Loaded Pockets

Guys I don't know. I guess Garza has the inside line since he is there and I am not ;)

But, as far as I knew, Texas has always had preemption- no city, town, or other political subdivision can override state laws. So I would be surprised if the location issue Garza mentioned is correct.

Reading his post after opening my mouth and now and paying further attention...

There have always been restrictions i nTexas on carrying weapons in places that sell or serve alcohol, federal buildings, etc. But that does not vary from location to location within the state. So nothing new as far as that goes. But preemption is important and from what I read it appears not to have changed.

14. Rebel

Rebel Loaded Pockets

This is a really important point that people often overlook. In our kitchens at the office we have what we would call in Texas a fillet knife. These are long, sharp knives, much longer than folders are made. And these are left lying around.

This is actually no contradiction here because as I mentioned the law over here is silent on knives. But, it's a global company and I am sure our carrying OTFs and big-:censored: folders would cause Legal to go bananas and fire us if they knew what goes on in our country. The local Personnel department is well aware of what we carry and they don't care. But just in case, I took a bunch of phone pics of the kitchen knives laying around on the counters so if it ever goes to labor court- which would be lose/lose for the company, they're going to have a lot of explaining to do about how my 4 inch Microtech or even my P4 K390 is more of an issue than the stuff they leave lying around in the break rooms ;)

garza likes this.
  15. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

San Antonio and Corpus Christi had enacted tougher knife ordinances than the state. A bipartisan group of legislators overwhelmingly passed the state law preventing cities from adopting stricter knife ordinances and increased the types of knives which can be carried.

A conflict with the state education law and the updated knife law exists with parental approval and storage in a vehicle.

Rebel likes this.