1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Carrying a fixed blade

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Strut, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Strut

Strut Loaded Pockets

Anybody have any low profile ways to EDC a small fixed blade? I love my izula, and theres a few barkies calling my name, but I work in an office environment (tucked in shirt) so no neck carry or belt carry. Worst part is my job can have me doing anything from opening boxes, zip ties, cabling, to cutting holes in drywall (which I trust a FB with much more). So the knife actually has to be accessible.

Mainly I'm looking for a good pocket sheath, but if you have other suggestions they are welcome. I have an adirondak sheath that I used to carry in my back pocket, but I find it hard to get the knife back into the sheath very easily (hard to see and feel).

2. XCarbonSteelx

XCarbonSteelx Loaded Pockets

I'm thinking about getting this: Izula Sheath clip

I would carry it in on my waistband behind my back.

3. jcc

jcc Banned

I carry a fixed blade all the time, so maybe I can offer some experience. Can I ask why you can't neck carry? It'd be a great solution, and it would hide the knife while making it easily accessible. I think the Izula kydex sheath isn't as comfortable as other possible configurations, so I would send it in to someone who can make an aftermarket Kydex sheath.

[​IMG]

It's not my knife, but a sheath like this works well as a versatile option. You can easily keep it in your front pocket, but it's particularly comfortable for neck carry.

I think you're situation has a lot of solutions, but you have some limitations being that it is an office environment.

4. Strut

Strut Loaded Pockets

tucked in shirt makes it hard to neck carry. To obvious outside the shirt, and can't get to the knife inside the shirt without untucking.

5. XCarbonSteelx

XCarbonSteelx Loaded Pockets

Maybe consider a boot sheath?

6. jcc

jcc Banned

Sure you can. Pull out up through your shirt and out - easy, quick, and discreet.

7. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

IMO... adirondak sheaths are only good for front pocket carry. I stick a swamp warden in my front pocket and it is 7 inch'ish, all the time and I can also neck carry it. I carried a Ag russell Woodswalker for ten years and for the back pocket it fits perfect and you can strop the knife on the sheath. ( also dirt cheap)

Make sure fixed blade carry is legal where you are. Not so sure fixed blade is office friendly. IMO

[​IMG]
    woodswalker pocono by mumbojumboo, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    creature warden2 by mumbojumboo, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    mumbo gear by mumbojumboo, on Flickr

8. kershawleeker

kershawleeker Loaded Pockets

if you want a fixed blade for edc in office id go with either kustom sheath or a really good folder i dont carry fixed blades much
    so i think its weird too but yeah i'd go with a low profile neck sheath or you can get a pocket fixed blade with a sheath w/ pocket clip
    again i dont really no

9. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

neutrontech Loaded Pockets

I don't see anything wrong with carrying a fixed blade. They are safer than folders, IMO. Besides, a fixed blade in the office isn't any worse than those lethal looking letter openers.

10. able_man
    • In Omnia Paratus

able_man Loaded Pockets

Agreed. And if you're worried you can always go for one of the more office friendly varieties like some of the little Barkies or a Boker Gents Scalpel.

11. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

Remove the town middle button form your shirts and sew them on top of the holes. Then use two small pieces of sewn on velcro as closures instead of the buttons. It allows you to quickly shove your hand in the shirt and retrieve the knife, and it looks like a normal buttoned shirt.

The way I carry a fixed blade is in a neck sheath, but in my front pocket with the lanyard looped around my belt or belt loop near the pocket. It allows me to one hand draw the knife with the lanyard acting as a static line and removing the sheath during the draw. The small bit of lanyard outside the pocket is not conspicuous, and most will assume it for you keys...etc.

12. mtwarden

mtwarden Loaded Pockets

^ this is how many of us carry a backup weapon on duty- I normally go two buttons, but that's to get a pistol out- a small fixed blade should be doable w/ one button

also unless your wearing a tie, you can easily reach in and pull up the lanyard/knife/sheath

I haven't tried any of the pocket carry options, but several have a second slot for a pen/firesteel/flashlight etc which would be handy, IF it was comfortable to carry

13. kershawleeker

kershawleeker Loaded Pockets

again im new so i dont no much

14. seeker_two

seeker_two Loaded Pockets

I pocket-carry a Ka-Bar TDI knife ( https://www.kabar.com/product_detail.jsp?productNumber=1480 ) in my front pants pocket. Since I leave the belt clip on it, I'll put a jogger's wristband around the sheath. It keeps it from moving around in the pocket, and it keeps the sheath in the pocket when you withdraw the knife...like a pocket holster does for a pocket pistol.

15. popedandy

popedandy Loaded Pockets

I made a front pocket sheath with a clip for one of my small fixed blades. A little bit of the handle sticks out of the pocket - just enough to get ahold of it easily - but it isn't any more exposed than many folders with a clip. The top of the sheath sits close enough to the top of the pocket that it is easy to re-sheath the knife.

16. hollywoodb6

hollywoodb6 Loaded Pockets

I have been carrying a Spyderco Mule daily for about a month in my front pocket. I am working out a sheath templete before I make one out of Kydex. I have a 2" lanyard with a big knot(I think its called a Turks head)at the end. The lanyard is the only thing that sticks out of my pocket. I can draw the knife without the sheath one-handed. I have to take the sheath out of my pocket to re-sheath the knife. This works well for me.
    I think its best to figure out the size of knife you can carry in your pocket and then develop a system that works for you.

17. MWDP

MWDP Banned

Never dared to carry a fixed blade around because I'm high profile target for random searches because of my age. If you're sure what you're doing, I'd suggest a smaller fixed blade, nothing too intimidating, but still functional. Recently, Benchmade Activator caught my eye. It has a very good sheath and seems like it could be carried fairly well hidden inside a pocket or a waistband.

18. hamster-in-a-wheel

hamster-in-a-wheel Loaded Pockets

I've always carried in my right front pants pocket.
    I've carried knives as large as Buck 143 (which is about 7.5" overall, IIRC).
    Izula-sized knives are a piece of cake.
    Sometimes I've carried Izula-and-smaller knives attached to my keychain. That method worked well, as the knife appears a bit less intimidating when hanging from a set of car keys, and it doubles as a big key fob. You will want a QD keychain of some type, however, as the extra weight is undesirable when hanging from a car's ignition.

19. Strut

Strut Loaded Pockets

Well I've got the izula, and I've had my eye on either the BRKT PSK, or City knife. But funny that you bring up the activator, I just saw the 211 sitting in a store, and its much less intimidating, and smaller then it looks in the pictures. I really love that sheath also, that one might ALMOST pass as acceptable carry even with a tucked in shirt.

Bah, look what you did MWDP...... now it's my shopping cart.

20. TransportJockey

TransportJockey Loaded Pockets

I'm fond of the TDI series knives from Ka-bar. Several people at my service, me included, carry one form or another of them