1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

"Carry Rotation"...... huh?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by medic68, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Boudreaux

Boudreaux Loaded Pockets

Familiarization is one of the lost arts of EDC. Most of the time you see rotations occur because they are items in which are not used on a daily or weekly basis. Therefore the familiarization is not needed, because the likelihood of using said item is so low. Most people who use specific items frequently will not rotate said item, they will find the item that works best of them to complete the job and stick with it.

CDKJudoka likes this.
  2. les snyder

les snyder Loaded Pockets

depending on the depth of the cargo pocket of the shorts I'm wearing a G42 or G43 in the same Recluse cargo holster... for the infrequent times I wear more formal pants with tighter pockets that may print, a LCP... all three have the same basic manual of arms... for formal low profile occasions a Reeve Sebenza replaces the Benchmade Aries as the titanium clip is smaller and more subdued... I agree with the OP

Captdave13 and medic68 like this.
  3. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

It fleetingly appears to me that those that have identified the practice of rotation do so to HAVE those items; that the intrinsic value of those items is what they are (form).

Those like myself place value in what those items will be used for (function). I discovered what I carried decades ago are what I still carry today with perhaps some aesthetic, and, certainly, functional enhancements.

Members of my generation, and admittedly myself included, may gravitate to an opinion of a un-matured ability to make a decision regarding such choices that we discuss ad nauseam on this forum. Then I realise that there is a groundswell MORE choices that we have today than when I wore a uniform decades ago. But then we said the same back then about the previous generations.

I will refrain from summarily concluding that I do not “understand” the practice of rotation because I’d like to believe that I have “matured” to where I don’t have a need or desire to do so. Or more likely that I just don’t give that much thought to carrying handguns anymore. I’ve been doing it so long that it is just something that I do daily like brushing my teeth and shaving.

Wearing/carrying handguns has become a tedium: a bore and a “ball and chain.” When you’re endured armed conflict, it becomes distasteful to fathom the results of using them. I liken it to wearing shoes. After decades of wearing them, it’s good to walk in the serene environment of my home without them where the probability of injury is minimal because I CONTROL that environment. But as soon as I step outside of my home I wear BOTH shoes and at least one firearm. Even for just a FEW seconds.

Last edited by 0dBm, Sunday at 12:39 PM
    #23 0dBm, Nov 25, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2019 at 12:39 PM
    medic68 and PragmaticMurphyist like this.
  4. Mikhail Weiss

Mikhail Weiss Loaded Pockets

Carry rotation: I carry what I like, when I like. Mostly it's a matter of convenience vs. attire and location. Since I like the things I have, I practice with them. A lot. (And I don't have that many toys, alas.)

5. CDKJudoka

CDKJudoka Loaded Pockets

I have a carry rotation, because I do like carrying a different firearm depending on the circumstances. That being said, a majority of what I rotate is the same manual of arms and similar form and function, in my case, mostly M&Ps. I do switch it up and carry a Beretta 92 from time to time, but I am very familiar with DA/SA operation, since I have been using a 92 series for the better part of 25 years. I understand what you are saying about the idea of a carry rotation, and I agree, unless you are proficient and familiar with what you are carrying. I shoot and train with my carry pieces at least once every 2 weeks, and generally use about 1k rounds per session. Training becomes even more important when you rotate what you carry on a regular basis.

medic68 likes this.
  6. Telstar

Telstar Loaded Pockets

I will tell it how I see it.

This whole arena of "armed self defense" attracts all sorts of people. Many of which carry a gun as some sort of bauble or accessory. Others are "collectors or hobbiest" who own and carry gun more for the entertainment and self-fulfillment aspect rather than anything associated with actual self defense. Most people who carry guns are likely untrained and even fewer have any sort of practical experience in fighting method, tactics or strategics. Those who do seek training are often narrowly focused on absolute marksmanship, gun-games or gun-sports rather than actually training to fight. The more you train, the easier it is to spot those who do not. I pass no judgement on others, I simply notice certain tell tale signs just as the OP seemingly has done.

The bottom line is that there is a whole lot of people who carry guns and knives as some sort theater project and not because they truly subscribe to any sort of defender mindset. I simply refer to these type of people as fan-boys or fan-boi. I do not mean that disparagingly.. its simply an observation.

There is certainly nothing special about me but I can tell you that I do not collect guns, I don't really like guns, would rather not carry a gun at all. That said, I do carry a gun and have carried regularly for decades. I train regularly simply because its the moral, ethical and responsible thing to do, not because I enjoy it.

As far as a "carry rotation" goes, I have no such mechanism. I carry a larger gun in the winter and a smaller gun in the summer. They are both of the same style, caliber and firing system. I personally think that it is less than prudent to carry a different gun on a regular basis. Especially if the guns are markedly different regarding style, function and system. I really cant wrap my head around the idea of carrying a different gun on Monday, Friday or every other Wednesday. It simply sounds like the silly business of a less than serious person.

Last edited by Telstar, Sunday at 9:57 AM
    #26 Telstar, Dec 1, 2019 at 9:47 AM
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2019 at 9:57 AM
    medic68 likes this.
  7. John Moore

John Moore Loaded Pockets

I change up carry pistols on occasion because I can, and I enjoy it. I shoot every weekend, and what I’m carrying that week is what I shot the previous weekend. To me, the most important is that I HAVE a gun and I am competent in its use.

I’ve taken around 10 classes, from Mas Ayoob’s MAG-40, with a G19, to a 1911 fighting class with a Nighthawk custom, to a full blown snubby revolver course.

The three I carry most probably will send the “same gun” guys into spasms. A Shield 9mm with no thumb safety, a Ruger lightweight 1911 in 45, and a Ruger LCR.

I think I’m gonna be ok. If anyone doesn’t agree, that’s ok too.

LivingUpNorth likes this.
  8. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

I think @Telstar is right, self fulfillment is probably the main motivation for a lot of those who carry. That doesn’t necessarily make it less valid. There is usually good intentions behind it anyways, just do it responsibly.

Now, I’m still looking at this from a theoretical angle, so please bare with me, but I would think the concept of how you carry, e.g. carry rotation or not, is closely linked to why you carry, and how one defines “rotation”.
    I think it’s perfectly responsible to rotate to adapt. If one rotates just so the gun can match the theme of the day, that’s less than optimal.
    Then there’s the why. If I was allowed to carry, I think I might have chosen to do so. In urban/crowded areas It would primarily as a means to prevent or minimalize the effects of a terrorist attack/active shooter scenario. So more in the way of public defense, than self defense. I realize that I live in a very safe society, so except for home intrusion and terrorist attacks, that hit at random and are impossible to predict, there are lots of ways to avoid bad situations and I would go to great lengths to not having to reach for my gun, and all the misery and legal issues that could potentially follow after the fact. If you even get away from it alive.
    So, if one limit the scope of “why”, to not being a direct target of a crime, that makes availability more important than ultimate fire power, speed and proficiency.
    In less urban/crowded areas I might not carry at all, or carry something that was more geared toward hunting or protection against wild animals.
    If, for some reason the threat level escalated, I would consider carrying more gun, more frequently.

The concept of carrying for self defense has been a dead horse for a long time around here, and really something I have not wanted or thought a whole lot about. The thinking about part, however, has changed a great deal after the terrorist attack in Oslo and Utøya, right here in my own country, and several more throughout Europe.
    I can’t help thinking how the possibility of armed resistance might have prevented some of these attacks altogether, or how many lives could have been saved if some of the victims had the capacity to fight back.

As I’ve mentioned before, even the concept of self defense (gun or not) is not acknowledged here. And except for a handful of more reasonable countries, I think it’s mostly the same deal around Europe. I don’t know the exact situation in the UK (local residents that have endured this far into my wall of text might chime in), but I think it’s an interesting, but weird paradox how the three civillian men who intervened and retained the knifeman with a whale tooth(!) and a fire extinguisher on London bridge are celebrated as heros, both in the media and by public officials. Including the prime minister himself.
    We had a similar, but less public, event here in Norway a few weeks ago. An armed assailant was overpowered and restrained by unarmed civillians before he was able to shoot anyone. These were praised as heros by police and public officials.
    It’s ironic how we both depend on and celebrate acts of unselfish self- and public defense, yet fail to acknowledge the need for it. As well as the tools for it.

LivingUpNorth, jcombs and medic68 like this.