1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Carry on Bag

Discussion in 'Travel' started by elad96, May 29, 2017.

1. b.s.

b.s. Loaded Pockets

I just couldn't get into the packing cubes. I either roll my clothes or bundle pack. As for bags, I'm still using a rolling carry-on when there's lots of walking through crowded airports with tight connections. My saddleback carries the laptop and a change of clothes in case I'm separated from my larger bag.

Backpacks are great if you're packing light and don't need to carry a 17 inch laptop and peripherals.

I've used:
    Eagle a-III
    Mountainsmith approach
    Kelty redwing 50
    Osprey porter 46

The mountainsmith carried weight the best, and was more useful in town.

If I wanted to go with another backpack it would be that

2. SOS24
    • +2 Supporter

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

I like to only go carry-on as well using a backpack. Soft-sided bags are much easier to fit overhead or under seat. I really like the REI Women's Trail 40 for travel. I find packing organizers, like granite gear air zipditty and zipsack, help to keep smaller things together while rolling my clothes. If your wife can't fit everything in one back, she can always carry another small bag as the personal items which can fit a lot.

#22 SOS24, Jun 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  3. Outbound

Outbound Loaded Pockets

I've converted to carry on only unless I'm flying with a ton of fishing gear. I snagged an Arcteryx Covert Case C/O. I can get about a week's worth of clothing into it with no trouble. Pair that with a back pack with my tech stuff, and I'm good to go.

4. Jadersays

Jadersays Empty Pockets

I love traveling carry on only, my wife and I fly standby since we both work for a major airline and by doing such we have to always be ready to move and groove to a different gate or plane. So checking a bag would be a no go because we are never sure we will even be getting on that flight until the last minute, so everything stays with us just in case we have to change our route to get to our final destination. We both travel with a 4way roll luggage and a backpack. I am so wanting to make the plunge to the Osprey Farpoint or something similar for our next international travels but the wife doesn't want to lug everything on her back lol. Happy wife happy life :hug:

Gkruse likes this.
  5. Jammer Six

Jammer Six Loaded Pockets

Yeah. Wouldn't want the folks buying, maintaining, staffing and flying the planes we're riding in to have any more money to work with.

Fusilier and MinistryOfTruth like this.
  6. MinistryOfTruth
    • In Omnia Paratus

MinistryOfTruth Uber Prepared

For a 4 day trip with only a carry-on i go to my trusty Rush24. It's as close to a Tardis a backpack can be. If i know the weather conditions and more or less what i can expect to do or find while there i could easily do a week out of that bag in an urban area, i have done so when visiting my family in Italy. Only drawback with not checking a classic roller and taking a smaller backpack as carry on instead is: you cant travel with your sharps.
    If you have a hotel room lined up you can send your usual or order a beater. Have it shipped for cheap in advance and alert the desk you'll be recieving a package with some necessities to the hotel, should be fine.

Another useful light travel thing is you pack one good outfit and fly in your casual with any beater shirts or pants, leave a ton of space in your bag for shopping a nice new shirt or pant while you're there. Toss or recycle the worn out casual stuff before leaving and wear your good outfit going home.
    Many of my backpacker friends did this while touring around in east asia (decent clothes seem to come dirt cheap if you know what to look for), they just brought a decent hard-use backpack with selected edc necessities and a pair of bombproof shoes. As soon as they got settled at the first hotel they went out and stocked up on cheap undies, t-shirts and whatnot after a little recon on pricin. Whatever didnt survive got replaced and whatever wasnt needed back home got washed and donated to charities before going to the airport. One decent backpack and a pair of great shoes. Thats it :)

7. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Loaded Pockets

I've never alerted the hotel, I've just written on the package C/O ChadHahn guest arriving XX/XX and haven't had any problems.

Chad

MinistryOfTruth and onebadwagon like this.
  8. outbackwack

outbackwack Loaded Pockets

I stand corrected! I forgot that the airlines are now offering cheap seats to compete with the likes of Spirit Air. And no, I would only opt for that if I had only my backpack to fit under the seat and no overhead carry-on bag (which I've done before this new pricing scam). Thanks!

9. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Loaded Pockets

I have a backpack (now retired) that appears to be the nylon version of the LL Bean Continental Rucksack. Although looking at photos I think my backpack is larger. Even packed full it fits under the seat.

Chad

10. elad96

elad96 Loaded Pockets

Trip Update New REI worked great It is convertable has option to use has Backpack.Weighed about 18 pounds,No complaints.Only issue was with Shoes.Wore Hiking Boots.A pain in Security,Next time will only take Slip on Shoes.Plus going from Hot Humid to Cool Breezy was a Challenge.A lot less stress.Wife even Survived Trip.