1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Carry on Bag

Discussion in 'Travel' started by elad96, May 29, 2017.

1. elad96

elad96 Loaded Pockets

Flying to Portland Or, In about a month.Four days and no checked bags.Me and wife.I got a REI Vagabond.I am good to go,Wife swears she is goona make it in one bag,Hate to give Airlines any more $$$

2. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

This is how I prefer to travel also. My go-to carry on bag is a LLBean large wheeled duffle. I can live out of that thing for a week. Which is saying something, because I'm a BIG guy. Approx 6'; approx 290 lbs. Most all my shirts etc are in the realm of 2XL TALL. Which means packing a lot of fabric! Plus of course misc stuff...

One thing you need to be aware of. Many airlines, on many routes, are using somewhat smaller planes; e.g., the Embrajer out of Brazil. Often seating is 2 on one side; 1 seat on the other. What this boils down to is very often the so-called overhead shelves can barely take a slim brief case, let alone the sort of carry on bag I describe. And not many at that -- certainly not space for each pax to put a bag up there.

Which is where it gets interesting. Typically at the end of the Jetway as you enter the plane (or at the foot of the stairs as you climb up to the plane) there will be a ground crew collecting bags and giving out a 'claim ticket'. When you land, everyone gathers around a cart or a pile of bags and grabs. The airline has ZERO traceability or record of who gets which bag. Hate to say how often I've seen passengers realize they got the wrong one. Usually it works out either on the tarmac or within a few steps in the terminal. But I have seen instances where it didn't and someone finds their bag has disappeared.

At the very least this is inconvenient; if anything valuable was in the bag it is costly. I'd argue it also carries potential for serious hazards to the system if some nefarious folks are 'gaming' the system!

There are some benefits therefore in 'official' checking in of bags! Something to consider...

L'chaim and Happy Trails!

Moshe ben David

sungame and MinistryOfTruth like this.
  3. Mark_Trail

Mark_Trail Loaded Pockets

My carry on for a day or two is the Moulton bag - designed to work with Moulton foldable but has many talents.

For up to 7 days I can squeeze my stuff into tradional Millican backpack.

Both of these have gone into cabins with me many, many times.

Longer trips or special requirements and I'll resort to my trusty Mulberry Ultimate Suit Carrier or plain suitcase

Sent from my NSA monitored iPhone using Tapatalk

4. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

I'm really wanting to try out this minimalist traveler stuff with like two pair of undies and socks, one extra set of clothes, etc. I'm always a "what if" guy when I travel, i.e. "what if I spill guacamole on my pants" or "what if I suddenly need loperamide even though I never ever get diarrhea." It's tiring really.

HVACn00b and Scoman like this.
  5. Vartz04

Vartz04 Loaded Pockets

Go ruck 26l is about perfect for this. I do it a couple times a month. Laptop iPad FAK and clothes for 3 days in the bag

Josh and 343KD like this.
  6. onebadwagon

onebadwagon Loaded Pockets

Same here.

7. ItsHardToKnow

ItsHardToKnow Loaded Pockets

I like doing carry-on only for the cost and ease.
    But I hate not having a reliable, familiar knife/mt with me.

sungame, billybatson and outbackwack like this.
  8. outbackwack

outbackwack Loaded Pockets

I recently switched over from the traditional carryon bags to a backpack and went with the Osprey Farpoint 40 and love it. Got 6 days with pants, shirts, shoes, workout stuff and laptop easily and it all fits neatly in the overhead.

Outbackwack

9. elad96

elad96 Loaded Pockets

REI big Sale Vagabond really good price but like the Osprey Bag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

garza likes this.
  10. elad96

elad96 Loaded Pockets

So I got my Bag picked out,And my Packing List,Never used those Packing Cube Things,If they are worth it?Plus going to take bare minimum Liquids in Shower Bag,Make use of Hotel Freebies,May take one of those Collapasible Water Bottles.Trying to Embrace this Whole Minimalist Thing.And for the Offical Record will miss Pocket Knife the most.

11. outbackwack

I scoffed at the packing cube idea until a friend gave me a set. Once I used them I was hooked. Socks and undies in 1, workout stuff in another and they can jam into crannies easily. Once at hotel throw them in the drawer, unzip and easy. Then dirty stuff goes back in.

Outbackwack

onebadwagon and garza like this.
  12. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I use packing cubes both for travel and to help manage my edc bags locally. For example, the large duffel in the car has red cubes for FAK stuff; blue for flashlights and batteries. My edc bag for around town has black cube for assorted admin stuff.

Learned long ago that having ready to go kit cubes made my travel packing a breeze!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

garza likes this.
  13. smokingfish

smokingfish Loaded Pockets

Went traveling with my GF and brought 2 gorucks.
    Sd25 and gr1.
    She was amazed how much can fit into the packs.

onebadwagon likes this.
  14. Chad Johnston

Chad Johnston Loaded Pockets

REI gear is great. Last big single-bag trip I did was to India and around south Asia for about 12 days using a Gregory Stout 65. It was great, except a major pain getting on and off planes, hitting people in the face with the waist belt..

sungame likes this.
  15. Jelerang

Jelerang Loaded Pockets

My Osprey Farpoint 40 is my favorite bag for traveling. I went to Ireland for 12 days with it as my only bag. I could slide it under the seat in front of me, but it's never come to that.

16. Jelerang

Jelerang Loaded Pockets

Going carry-on only has increased my enjoyment of travel more than any other factor. Rick Steves has a video about it that will give you a good introduction.

17. tbzbbt

tbzbbt Loaded Pockets

Some airlines allow a "handbag" or "computer bag" additional to normal carry-on. Also soft luggage without structure (such as duffels) can be literally massaged to fit the airline size restrictions far better than hard trolleys.

There is a tradeoff to save space in luggage by overdressing for the flight vs hassle and undressing for security scan.

tbzbbt

18. outbackwack

Almost all airlines allow a personal bag that fits under the seat in addition to a carry-on. I typically carry my laptop, electronics and other stuff in my Maxpedition Sitka or smaller Noatak if only carrying my Tab S2 Pad and that goes under the seat. Farpoint 40 goes in the overhead. And I almost always carry my Outlander packable daypack. That thing works great!

19. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

Just a warning that the major airlines restrict or charge for overhead bags if you buy the ultra discount economy tickets from United, Delta or American. The terms clearly states that the ticket holder does not have a right to carry on a bag that will not fit under the seat. I have already seen people complaining about not being able to sit together or being told they had to pay extra for the bag that will not fit under the seat.

Sound like you do not purchase those tickets. Neither do I.

20. Niloticus1

Niloticus1 Loaded Pockets

I can't speak for individual airline rules, particularly in the US but the Osprey Farpoint 40 is the best carry on bag I've ever used. I used to fly upwards of 100 times a year and this bag ticks all the boxes for me, particularly for long haul.

Packing cubes are the way to go for organising clothes btw, the Eagle Creek nano range weigh next to nothing.

Just my 0.02

Dave

xrayit, Moshe ben David and garza like this.