1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Carry on Backpack Recommendation

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Muhammad Moinur Rahman, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Muhammad Moinur Rahman

Muhammad Moinur Rahman Empty Pockets

Hi Everyone,
    I use a 5.11 Tactical All Hazard Prime as my EDC Backpack; although a bit heavy. I need to fly a lot and it seems like that this bag raises the eye bro of the Security staffs and they go through a lot of scrutiny watching the lots of MOLLE web. My friends crossed the same terminal with bigger Jack Wolfskin Backpacks without any hassle. Hence I was planning for a new Backpack for my travel purpose without raising any issue with the Security Officials.
    So far my picks are
    1. 5.11 Tactical Covrt 18
    2. Goruck GR2 40L
    3. Camelbak Urban Assault (Redesigned)

Any first hand experience an advice are highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Muhammad Moinur Rahman

Muhammad Moinur Rahman Empty Pockets

Anyone with any recommendation ?

3. 343KD

343KD Loaded Pockets

Goruck GR1 is my go-to travel bag. I've never had any issues, security or otherwise.

I vote GR2

4. Chris C

Chris C Loaded Pockets

I use the Evade pack along with matroskya pouches when traveling on short trips for 1-2 days. Side pockets are great for storing items in when going through TSA as well. Comfortable to wear also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. ItsHardToKnow

ItsHardToKnow Loaded Pockets

I have the Urban Assault XL
    Ive carried it through airports on about 12 different flights (give or take)
    I love it!

I recommend it to anyone looking for a backpack that doesnt have all the molle and mall ninja look (though I do wish it didnt have that skull logo...)
    Its very tough - had this one for 7 years now, carried it all through college and now still carry it three or four days a week, often with quite a bit of weight in it - looks almost as good as the day I opened the box it came in. A little dirty now, but no snags, rips, or tears.

6. Tigwldr

Tigwldr Empty Pockets

GR1 is my go to bag also. I`m bouncing around the thought of a GR2, I just haven`t justified a need for it to myself yet other than its bigger for longer trips. LOL

7. Chips177

Chips177 Loaded Pockets

The standard size Urban Assault has become my bag to end the bag search (at least for a little while). The bottle pockets are ingenious! My biggest gripe with the redesign of this bag (mind you I've never seen one in person) is the redesign of these pockets. There are very few changes I would make to this bag and is about as close to perfect as I have found.

Edit: not to hijack the thread, but does anyone know what the little rubber loop at the front bottom of this bag is for...can't find it anywhere

8. Pablo Jones

Pablo Jones Loaded Pockets

#8 Pablo Jones, Jul 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  9. Ken Watson

Ken Watson Loaded Pockets

I know it's been discussed a million times on this site but I really still think people who think other people care about their tactical bags are imagining things.

My carry in for the last few months has been a kifaru xing. Fairly large, coyote brown, and molle everywhere. Pretty tacticool looking.

Its the only bag I have actually had compliments on from several tsa agents.. .

JC807, EXCALIBUR and onebadwagon like this.
  10. ItsHardToKnow

ItsHardToKnow Loaded Pockets

Always wondered the same thing!

11. Lane DeCamp

Lane DeCamp Loaded Pockets

Agree. There are so many tactical-looking bags out there that it's not a flag for a TSA stop. If you got stopped, you had some other issue or you just rolled the wrong number on the dice. It happens. I work with them in part of my work and they just roll their eyes at that. They recognize concealed carry packs and guys with shirt tails hanging out and concealed carry shirts and simply watch those people for perhaps two seconds max and move on, just enough to be sure they aren't walking into a checkpoint carrying something that could turn into an altercation. But molle? No.

12. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

Osprey Porter 46L. About the largest capacity bag allowed by airlines. Built in compression straps make it possible to squeeze the Porter 46 into most overhead bins. The only exception are small commuter jets.

13. Brit1664

Brit1664 Loaded Pockets

14. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

GoRuck and Mystery Ranch are great packs. It's just for some of us, think retired types, the price point of these packs puts them out of reach.
    I have been traveling with the Osprey Porter 46L pack for the last 7 years. For the size, capacity, durability, (not to mention Osprey great warranty) and price point I could not justify the other packs.

ballistic likes this.
  15. HardToHandle

HardToHandle Loaded Pockets

If the TSA is your concern, good point.

The TSA has limited to no criminal prosecution powers, but significantly varied local/ state agencies might be a concern, such as one of the multiple gun-toting agencies at the Manhattan airports(7-8 different agencies IIRC). Or maybe the type of terrorists who have repeatedly targeted airport terminals (Google LAX's history, where the police let a TSA agent bleed out alone on the terminal floor). Totally different rules outside the US.

I travel a lot, sometimes on short notice. We get to go to places that have much tighter security or elevated threat profiles than a US airport. The Mall Ninja vibe might just look silly in OHare, but get a very different reception elsewhere.

16. Melders

Melders Loaded Pockets

Tom Bihn..... cant recommend it enough

Municipal_Jedi and steeps like this.
  17. Municipal_Jedi

Municipal_Jedi Loaded Pockets

+1

I don't know what size backpack you're looking for but they have wide variety and are made in the USA specifically designed for travel and would carry none of the real or perceived foibles/attention of a MOLLE covered tacticool pack.

HardToHandle likes this.
  18. Clead

Clead Loaded Pockets

My vote is for the 5.11 Covrt 18. I use mine every month or two as carry-on. It's perfect. So non-tactical it never draws any attention, and the pass-through zip in front of the MOLLE-paneled inside is great for a light jacket.

19. shadowolf713

shadowolf713 Loaded Pockets

I would also recommend a 5.11 covrt18. I rocked one for 3 years.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

20. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I think it is for a small light to mark that you are there if wearing the bag while biking or hiking at night?

https://www.tombihn.com/collections/accessories/products/guardian-light?variant=17020825223

I agree that the UA is about the ideal bag for this fro my too huge selection of bags.

I like the GR2 too but for the life of me can not understand how it has no bottle pockets?

I also like the Evade a lot and of course my Bihn Synapse is the one I have carried the longest,just a brilliant design and not tactacool in any way at all.