1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

carry gun in gym shorts

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by steviesterno, Sep 4, 2016.

1. steviesterno

steviesterno Loaded Pockets

hey all,

looking for a little direction. I live in Texas and it's hot as balls like 6 months out of the year. I have a beautiful custom CCO sized 1911 for when I'm out and about, but it's a bit too heavy for when I walk to dog or baby around the neighborhood. I currently carry an LCP, but I want to upgrade to 9mm. I have a lightweight snub 38 and may try that with a clip.

I know there are tons of smaller carry guns, and I've tried a bunch of them. I haven't had great luck. Some background, I enjoy and compete with 1911s or M&Ps, and I hate Glocks (Don't point well for me).

so what I've tried so far:
    Kahr PM9-reliability issues scared me off
    KelTec 9- frame broke before I even fired it
    Springfield XDs- had one pre recall in 45, I hated the recoil and then had to send it back anyway. had them keep it.
    Walther PPS Gen 1. I wanted it for a while but just didn't like the ergonomics

ok, so what do I check out and try? I don't want to start wearing full on pants or a belt to just run around, but after some up close run ins with coyotes I want something a little more punchy.

2. noDave

noDave Loaded Pockets

Reliability issues with the Kahr PM9? I've not heard of that and never had a problem with my Kahr CM9 nor CW9. The diamondback db9 also gets good reviews. If you are open to 380auto the smith and wesson bodyguard 380 is tiny.

3. jkwithawave

jkwithawave Loaded Pockets

I've carried my Springfield ROC in gym shorts before. With a solid clip for the holster it could work. I always wear Under Armour or those type of boxer briefs that are pretty tight. In the gym shorts I usually tuck the holster inside the boxers too. It keeps it surprisingly stable. The clip on my holster is great for any pants or belt I've treid. Tucking into the boxers really supports the weight along with the shorts, which you definitely have to tie off pretty tightly. My holster has a leather backing against the skin so it's still comfortable.

Walking this could definitely work out, if you're jogging or running maybe not.

If that won't work, I'd try out the snubbie first.

Pic of holster
    [​IMG]

4. HardToHandle

HardToHandle Loaded Pockets

The PM9s are infamous for issues. Great guns until they are not, especially when they get shot a lot. Theories of failures seem to focus mostly on the polymer frames, which likely just stretch out time, causing reliability. PM9s also have issues with cold weather, as cycling becomes sluggish in freezing temperatures (which is pretty uncommon for pocket guns).

I loved my PM9 in the black diamond coat. Worked great for four years, then became unreliable. Understand, I shoot a fair amount... Approaching 10,000 rounds. A replacement main recoil spring assembly made it an utter disaster. Dealing with the Kahr factory is a fiasco. I had one of their seven-year "experts" tell me it was I'm possible for one of their guns to fail the way it did. When I sent in the picture of the failure, he had a :censored: moment. This was my second Kahr to fail catastrophically and after two factory trips, I just traded for a reliable Glock.

Kahrs are good guns for those who do not shoot them.

To the OPs query, Glocks are reliable but not desired in this case. I have had a so-so SIG P239, but every other SIG is a solid performer. I would suggest the SIG P320 subcompact - great trigger for a striker, nice form factor and a bit more upscale for a polymer gun.

5. theotherroche

theotherroche Loaded Pockets

The Ruger LC9s (or LC9s Pro) is worth checking out: 9mm; 7 or 9 + 1; 6.00" x 4.50" x 0.90"; 17.2 oz.

6. BubbaFett
    • In Omnia Paratus

BubbaFett Loaded Pockets

Texas here too...in all honesty, my advice is to put on a belt. Outside of that, there are those fanny packs for CCW that would fit your .38 or a small 9/40/whatever. I like the M&P Shield, myself. Wouldn't trust gym shorts to a) hold the weight of it or b) retain the holster if I had to draw. YMMV.

7. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • Sponsor - Home Craftsman
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

When I'm running I carry with a Pistol Wear PT-2. It works well with either an S&W Bodyguard .380 or an M&P Shield. Draw is slower than from my normal Kydex IWB rig. Because it's soft, I recommend that a thumb safety be activated; you may disagree and decide that it's safe without that. For me it's comfortable, doesn't move, and keeps the gun dry even though I sweat like a pig. I've worn it for runs in distance from one mile to 13.1 and been comfortable.

I have no affiliation with this company.