1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Carried for the first time

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Chicago-Spike, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Chicago-Spike

Chicago-Spike Loaded Pockets

As my title says, I am no longer a virgin. I got my Crossbreed horsehide and decided it was time to start. So my son and I went on some errands to some local stores that I knew allowed CCW and walked in. I can say it changed me and my thinking a lot. I was a firefighter/PM years ago and I have been riding motorcycles for decades so I already have the habit of scanning my surroundings IE. looking for extinguishers and exits and such and just plain watching. But as I was more conscious of what I had on my person I was scanning the people more in depth to see if the noticed me and I was glancing at their hips to see if I could see printing on them. Good behavior to teach yourself IMHO.
    I was an uptight driver before, swearing and talking out loud to the other cars pointing out their flaws in vehicle handling skills or lack thereof. But my wife pointed out to me that I seemed to be more calm now behind the wheel, and to me that's a good thing. So, my guess is that because I have this responsibility on my hip, my inner brain had reverted back to my fire engine driving days where I was more focused on my responsibilities to get the truck to a scene and the bad drivers that wouldn't pull over or just stopped in front of the truck meant nothing to me. I'll keep better track of this as I move on as a CCW person for sure.
    One funny note about the first time, my son decided to give me a hug at the store. Not a common occurrence out in public these days as he is 7 yrs old now. But he came over on my right side and slammed his face into my hip right where the gun was hanging. Now I had told him that I was carrying and he asked to se so I showed him at home. I could feel him hit the gun with his face and he backs off and holds his nose and says "Owww, why is your pants so hard?" It was kinda funny in my eyes anyhow. :)
    So, I hope to improve my skills a lot with this new habit of CCW. Reading lots of books, taking more advanced classes for firearms and self defense and of course range time. I think this will be like paramedic training as it is never done. There is always CE or continuing education as you get better at the job there is always more to learn.
    Thanks for reading the thoughts of a new CCW holder, don't be shy to point things out to me or suggest things. I am fully aware that I am a newby to this and I can learn a LOT from my others that have been doing this for years.
    Larry

2. Montani

Montani Loaded Pockets

Congratulations on your decision to CCW! I've had my license for years and at first I was obsessively concerned with printing, but it becomes much less of a concern as time goes by.

3. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Congrats! And thank you :)

Now read this:D

The Concealed Handgun Manual: How to Choose, Carry, and Shoot a Gun in Self Defense
    By Chris Bird

Perfect for your situation.

Montani, wildborego, ChrisJ and 3 others like this.
  4. xdglocker

xdglocker Loaded Pockets

Congrats Larry. From the sound of it, it looks like your right on track to the life of a responsible gun owner. Like Montani mentioned the worry of printing gets less as you come more comfortable with carrying. Your observations will soon show you just how many people are actually walking around in a fog and will never even know if your printing or not . Have fun and keep training.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

5. Chicago-Spike

Thanks, just ordered it ;)

Montani and SAKplumber like this.
  6. WichitaJLJ
    • In Omnia Paratus

WichitaJLJ Loaded Pockets

Thank you very much for exercising you rights! :)

7. JeremyV

JeremyV Loaded Pockets

I should be getting my CCW in around 2 week(when it will arrive if not sooner) and I am glad to read our first experience! I have a feeling ill do the same thing! And I also feel my driving behavior will be better like yours! Haha congrats!

ChrisJ and SAKplumber like this.
  8. Chicago-Spike

Just so you know Jeremy, I put my application in January 13th and I just got my CCW last week. That makes 10 weeks processing time in Illinois :eek:

9. Cody_2ZZ

Cody_2ZZ Loaded Pockets

Glad to hear you're exercising your right and enjoying the responsibility. I'm going to look into getting my CCW when I move out of California where the wait list for an application appointment is a couple years out (but at least there is a waiting list).

10. JeremyV

JeremyV Loaded Pockets

I put my application in dec 12 and am still waiting:) but that's NY for ya:(

11. Lou_G

Lou_G Banned

Awesome to hear you are carrying and wanting to constantly learn. I'll have to recommend another book in addition to SAKp's suggestion, "Principles of Personal Defense" by Jeff Cooper. There are also great training DVDs such as Tactical Response's Fighting Pistol and Thunder Ranch's Defensive Handgun, among others. After that, try a course with someone like James Yeager or Clint Smith from the previous schools, as well as others like Larry Vickers, Chris Costa, and Steve Fisher to name a few more.

I'm sure a lot of people here will have further recommendations. Go ahead and see what's out there and who has a training style that clicks with you.

What have you decided on for a carry gun? The only right answers are a Glock 17, 19 or 26, because all pistols should be Glocks and all Glocks should be 9mm. :p I kid. The only right answer is the one that works for YOU!

Edit: I decided to not be lazy and look for your other posts, sounds like you grabbed a Shield. Fine choice, I've enjoyed shooting the 9mm version.

Last edited by Lou_G, Apr 3, 2014
  12. FenixArcher

FenixArcher EDC Junkie!!!

Congrats!
    The first of many times, I hope!

13. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

I've been carrying concealed since 1975.
    This my best advice to "newbies:"
    Practice the draw at least 10 times a day.
    If you cannot draw the weapon smoothly and fluidly in preparation to deploy it when required, leave it at home...

Kilted1 and Roger like this.
  14. RBid

RBid Loaded Pockets

As he says, draw practice is a big thing. You'll want to practice draw to two hand grip as well as draw to retention position, and work in shoot/no shoot.

Easy drill:

1. Clear the weapon
    2. Load snap caps
    3. Confirm that a snap cap, rather than live round, is chambered.
    4. Set up a tv show to use for target ID
    5. Repeat step 3
    6. Pick a character on the screen to designate as the villain.
    7. When the camera angle changes, draw and shoot at only that character. If that character is not on screen, it's a no shoot.
    8. Reholster.
    9. Repeat 7 & 8

This drill gives you practice drawing at random times, rather than a designated delay. It gives target ID and target location practice, and practice processing shoot/no shoot DURING the draw. It was tremendously helpful for me, and I still do it.

Add movement (each side or backward) as you progress.

Note that draw practice should start with slow, perfect movements for a few reps to wire the correct action. After that, go at speed.

If you don't carry it every day, it's not every day carry.

BubbaFett, Kilted1 and Lou_G like this.
  15. Chicago-Spike

Great ideas thanks and keep them coming! I do practice my draws downstairs with empty gun and magazine and live rounds upstairs. But never thought to add a target

16. Norm66

Norm66 Loaded Pockets

Good stuff here. I just got my permit a couple weeks ago and have been carrying myself. We're lucky in WV, I took the course Sunday, went to the courthouse Monday and my permit arrived by mail Saturday.

I've made the decision that I will be armed at all times except for work where I'm not allowed. It takes some getting used to, but I'm learning fast. The biggest thing I'm having to concentrate on is not fiddling with it or checking to see that my shirt is covering the gun. I've always looked to avoid trouble but having a CCW surely ups the ante on knowing what's going on around me.

I'm doing the practice draw thing every night. I started off very slowly and can now do it pretty quickly. It seems like the Shield is well suited to my hands as it really does point exactly where I look. I like the idea of the tv show practice and I'll implement that as well. I've got several hundred rounds of ammo so as soon as my wife is able (she sprained both ankles two Sundays ago right before we were headed to the range) we will be doing some serious range work.

Right now I'm reading Massad Ayoob's big book of Concealed Carry. It's particularly interesting because he has insight on so many self-defense shooting court cases. I'm discovering that what you do after can be just slightly less important than what you do before a SD situation.

The continuing education thing is a point I'm just beginning to really appreciate. There is no such thing as too much training, thinking, reading, practicing etc. It's a huge responsibility and deserves to be treated as such. My only hope is that I'm never in a situation where I have to actually draw my gun because even if everything goes "right" it's still going to be the beginning of a bad time.

Montani likes this.
  17. switchblade906

switchblade906 Loaded Pockets

I always carry. There are very few places I do not carry such as the post office and the like. Whether I'm carrying or not I always have a G17 w/ extra mag in the car as well.

18. Chicago-Spike

Wow, and I thought Illinois was slow :eek:

19. wildborego

wildborego EDC Junkie!!!!!

There is always something new to learn, how to carry what to carry and why to carry. There so many options, just remember to try them for yourself first.....

20. JeremyV

JeremyV Loaded Pockets

Yeah not bad at all... And we only have 10 round magazines so where it be a g26 or 19 both have 10 rounds.... So of course I'll be picking up a g26 first!!