1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Carhartt pants, but in softer material?

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by bltkmt, May 20, 2008.

1. bltkmt

bltkmt Loaded Pockets

Through the wonder of these forums, I found the Carhartt washed duck dungaree pants...bought two pairs. While I love them (and wear them), the material is very rough and stiff...maybe it will soften over time. Can anyone recommend pants similar to these, but maybe in a less "tough" material? Looking for something other than jeans to wear and carry all my stuff.

Thanks.

2. greenLED

greenLED Empty Pockets

5.11. Taclite Pro?

3. RockyNomad

RockyNomad Loaded Pockets

I have three pairs of Columbia Roc pants and love them. They are my EDC pants in cooler weather. They are canvas but much thinner and softer than Carhartt.

4. icqcq

icqcq Loaded Pockets

Just bought the Mountain Khakis Original Mountain Pant: spendy, but sweet. They make an Alpine Utility that looks like it's a match for your Carhartt's. The fabric is a heavy duck, but it's a lot 'softer,' more pliable, and has a brushed finish.

MtnKhks

5. Juststeve

Juststeve Loaded Pockets

I really like the fabric that Duluth Trading Co. is calling "Fire Hose" canvas. They offer a number of different treatments in pants -- weight and pre-washing varies.

My favorites for comfort and temperature (it gets HOT here in SC) are the midweight 8-oz. 60% cotton/40% CoolMax fabric pants. "Prewashed for softness, and treated to resist stains and water. Elastic at the side waist perfects the fit and comfort, crotch gusset for easy-moving comfort. Plus loads of pockets, including large rear patch pockets. Utility straps on both sides. All high wear seams are triple-needle stitched and pocket corners are riveted for durability."

6. Pantex

Pantex Empty Pockets

They make a very soft , almost BDU grade soft cotton cloth vs the filson sort of canvas .........I buy their carpenter pants and wear em every day . Ruler pocket on left thigh makes a great spare mag pouch and right hand square pocket on thigh is a perfect fit for a black berry curve !...........etc etc ......:eek:)

7. bltkmt

bltkmt Loaded Pockets

"They" = Carhartt?

8. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

Oh, man up, Nancy boy. It's cotton. It's going to be stiff initially. They're like a pair of blue jeans. You can buy the cardboard stiff originals that you break in yourself (and have some character) or you can spend big bucks to get some "stone washed" jeans that have had half the life beaten out of them. Personally, I'd rather break them in myself.

...and don't get me started on "distressed" leather jackets. :)

9. bltkmt

bltkmt Loaded Pockets

Nancy boy? I said I love my Carhartts above, tough guy. Just looking for some softer alternatives.

Thanks for the suggestions all!

10. fireman402

fireman402 Loaded Pockets

11. deeker

deeker Loaded Pockets

Come on, there's nothing like wearing a new pair of Carhartts and standing them up in the corner at night.... :p

12. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

scríbhneoir Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

+ 6 on the Rocs. I have six pairs -- shorts, capris, and pants (yeah, I know you guys probably aren't interested in wearing capris :laugh: but the material is soft and tough). Two are just starting to show wear (from carrying a knife clipped to the pocket after two years.

13. chute43

chute43 Loaded Pockets

In addition to being a firefighter, I am a college trained welder and IMO nothing can really hold up the abuse that carhartts can take , I swear by them, I have had a little trouble with them shrinking the dryer, so now I just hang them dry. If you are just doing normal light duty work maybe try some of the carhartt cargo pants, I wouldnt weld in mine by they are fairly tough while still being quite soft. They also have a better fit than some of the cheaper cargo pants out there.

good luck

kary

14. samson722

samson722 Empty Pockets

I love my Carhartts! My only beef with them is that the washed duck varieties don't hold up as well with tough use/abuse. I have several pairs with a large hole in both the seat, crotch, and on the belt-line where my cell phone holster sits. That's why the original duck (unwashed) are so awesome. Just wish they came in more colors. YMMV. :)

15. Pantex

Pantex Empty Pockets

Yes ....sorry , The ones I wear are carhartt's . The material is like old 70's era military olive drab utilities worn by US troops aka jungles. Very comfortable, very cool , just make sure ya take em out of the dryer and fold em , hang em or you better like too iron em !

Sorry for the delayed response.

16. Spectre

Spectre Empty Pockets

+1 for Carhartts other pants Ii also have their bdu style pants and they are very soft and light, a fav for summer.

17. fshalor

fshalor Loaded Pockets

2x pairs of carhartt jeans and one of their intermediate khaki's heading my way for delivery early next week.

I actually had some issues deciphering the product scheme, which is why I grabbed a few different products to see which suite better. It looked like for every cut, there were dark and light versions of stone washed and one that didn't say stonewashed. (My guess was, the latter were the "stand up in the corner for the night" type. )

I've absolutely had it with junky jeans that fall apart in light use after a year not to mention the poor consistency of pocket cuts and sizing. Carhartt's have been on my list to try for a while, but this thread pushed the order ahead on my list of things to look at.

(Had to tell family several years ago to stop buying jeans for me.. hehe )

18. bltkmt

bltkmt Loaded Pockets

Thanks for all the input...I bought two pair this weekend--1 pair of the carpenter jeans and 1 pair of the regular work dungarees (not washed duck). Both are much softer and look to be less stiff.

Love to all from the Nancy Boy.