1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Carhartt Field Testers ??

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by NTRotty, Jan 20, 2008.

1. NTRotty

NTRotty Loaded Pockets

Any field testers out there? I signed up and have answered a few surveys, but have not been successful in being selected for a product evaluation yet.

If you are a field tester and have actually tested product, what is the secret to the selection process???

2. RacerX

RacerX Loaded Pockets

Interesting. I'm a recent convert (last year or so) to their clothing line. I'd be up for that. Got a link?

3. MrLithic

MrLithic Empty Pockets

URL for the program is here - carharttweartest.com/

I used to wear Carhartts when I used to do a lot of field work - after I got married and ended up in an office the wife burned the tatty overalls.

But I managed to keep the jacket. :)

4. Lugsalot

Lugsalot EDC Junkie!!!!!

Welcome to EDCF, MrLithic! :highfive:

5. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

Hi MrLithic. Welcome aboard. :highfive:

6. dtrain

dtrain Empty Pockets

I am not a Field Tester,but their outerwear is awsome.I drive a truck for a living 3 years OTR last 2 at an LTL company where I am home
    everday for a change,instead of 18 days or more out on the road.
    I purchased a Ranch Jacket and matching vest after I finished training.I still have the Ranch Jacket.The armhole on the vest caught on a bolt on the stack and was split beyond repair,about a year back.
    What I have always liked about Carhart is that for a driver at least is the heavy construction and materials.......
    The canvas is much better than any nylon shell or some leathers,if you are walking between two trailers and you catch a shard of metal that sometimes curls up from the rub rails on a trailer.With the nylon and I believe most leathers you will cut right thru.I have never had this problem with the Carharts.Even if you did,a bit of dental floss and a heavy sewing needle and you are back in buisness.Rub up against a hot exhaust stack while doing something on the catwalk of the truck,good chance you will melt the nylon.That is important,replacing clothing items out on the road can get expensive,not everyone realizes that parking an 18wheeler isn not as easy as parking your Chevy Colorado.Trying to replace clothing items at a truckstop can get down right expensive too,even if they have some Carharts the truckstop knows that they have a "Captive" market so to speak and charges accordingly.
    Sure, my Carhart's are a bit dingy.They have their fair share of grease and oil stains,but they are just as servicerable as when I got them.Roomy pockets,tough zippers,and decent liners.I did have to replace the vest,but in that case it wouldnt have mattered what I was wearing.It was my fault I felt it catch and instead of looking I went and and the end result was a ruined vest.It was the lighter vest with the "Sheepskin" lining.I have since replaced it this winter with a much heavier version.
    My Ranch Jacket is my personal favorite,it has been a pillow,blanket,a seat cover,most of all it has not failed to do what i need it to do.

Keep me Warm and Dry.

Dtrain

7. Russ

Russ Empty Pockets

I bought my first set of Carhartt pants when I was clearing some land in the great NW. I got the ones that had a double layer on front. Outstanding, tough, great protection from the elements. For the guys who don't drive trucks or operate heavy machinery, Carhartts are still the way to go. I wear Carhartts (both denim and canvas) daily for casual clothing. I sent my other jeans (Levi, Lee and Wrangler) to the Salvation Army and kept all my Carhartt pants; they're comfortable and their belt loops allow the wide belts that my Levi's couldn't take. I've yet to wear out a pair. Unfortunately, I'm not hard enough on clothing to be a field tester, but it looks like a neat program.

8. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

I buy factory second Carhartt clothes at about half price at Sierra Trading Post (their prices fluctuate week-to-week) or at the local Farm & Fleet store which slashes the price on discontinued styles.

Didn't know Carhartt had a field tester program.

9. sharkytm

sharkytm Loaded Pockets

I've been wearing the double-front duck pants for a few years now, and wear the crotches out, right where my thighs rub together when I walk. I've complained to them a few times, but never gotten a response back. Its a shame, because the pants aren't worn out, just the crotch. Luckily, my fiance has a decent sewing machine, and I know how to sew, plus I keep my wrecked pairs around for patch material. I'd love to be a tester, I'm an oceanographer, so my clothes get a real workout.

10. dtrain

dtrain Empty Pockets

I dont think it matters what a person does for a living.Everyone,at least in my opinion should have some hard use clothing on hand,at least outwear.Carharts fit the bill in my book at a fairly decent price.

dtrain

11. MrLithic

MrLithic Empty Pockets

Just found a Carhartt shirt inthe closet - picked it up at Mark's Work Wearhouse in Winnipeg when I was back in Canada.

Nice thing about this shirt is the details. Pen pockets and such.

I do not have enough carhartt clothing to put myself forward as a tester.

However, it would be nice if they provided some discounts on future purchases as an incentive.

BTW - thanks for the kind words of welcome

12. raph84

raph84 Empty Pockets

parnass, thanks for the link to sierra trading post, for the price it may as well be buy one get one free. They are marked as 2nds (IRR on tag), but for the life of me I can not see any problems w/ them.

13. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

Glad you were able to score a good deal at Sierra Trading Post. They have some great deals from time to time on Carhartt gear. There were only one or two threads out of place on the vests I bought.

14. NTRotty

NTRotty Loaded Pockets

Sierra is the only place to buy Carhartt. Just check their inventory regularly as it can change and the popular sizes go quickly sometimes. If you are a regular customer, they send you special offers and often free shipping in email announcements.