1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Carhartt Cargo pants.

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by gordon_freeman, Jun 27, 2014.

1. gordon_freeman

gordon_freeman Loaded Pockets

I got a pair from rural king a few months back and liked them so much I bought a few more pairs.
    They're 9.5oz ripstop cotton. They have that square weave in the fabric like BDU's.
    They have a double front which can accept kneepads. The front top and back pockets are lined and reinforced by cordura. The right front pocket has a patch of cordura at the bottom of the pocket opening. For clipping tools like a folding knife or tape measure onto.

The side cargo pockets have utility pockets on the outside with closures. The large cargo pockets are low profile. They don't have pleats or anything. So it limits the pockets capacity. Some people don't like that, but I prefer it actually. I hate BDU pants cargo pockets. They hold too much and then you have these big masses bouncing around when you walk.
    The cargo pockets on these pants aren't meant to be stuffed. They're the perfect size for a pair of gloves or beanie hat, a maxpedition micro organizer fits nicely with a small amount of space left for clif bars or what have you. I'm sure the mini organizer would fit too.

The feel of the fabric and the construction of the garment are solid. They're not canvas or cotton duck. The fabric is a smooth cotton similar to BDU fabric, it's just heavier. After they've been washed and dried several times the weave tightens up and they feel thicker and more rugged. They have that strong durable, slightly rigid feel to them.

Last edited by gordon_freeman, Jun 27, 2014
  2. gordon_freeman

The board won't let me post links yet.

3. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

Actually, the board will Never let you post links, they are against the rules here. :)

On topic;
    Yup, gotta love Carhartt, almost bulletproof in build and design(although their sizing runs small IMO) But I've never seen them in a material other than canvas or duck... I'll have to have a look for these the next time I hit our local Carhartt dealer.

4. BeanbagsRgreat

BeanbagsRgreat Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]
    I've been dreaming about the EB231's for awhile now. Saw someone wearing a tailored pair and I've been in love ever since. Hopefully I can grab a pair sometime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. cowsmilk

cowsmilk EDC Junkie!!!!!

This is exactly right.
    I'd rather see your own pictures than those of someone else. :)

6. cowsmilk

cowsmilk EDC Junkie!!!!!

Any idea if the cargo pockets wear more to the side, than straight up front on the thigh?

7. BeanbagsRgreat

They were on the side, I reckon to show off the pockets they have them more towards the front for the picture. He said he got them from work in progress. He also had them tailored so they were more form fitting.

8. cowsmilk

cowsmilk EDC Junkie!!!!!

Thanks for that.

My company supplies us with uniforms. We use Carharrt jeans with side tool pockets, minus the hammer loop. THEY...ARE...AWESOME!!! They just last and last and last. Those jeans up above look to be more sturdy than what we wear. Should make for an awesome pair of pants.:)

AK Adventurer and BeanbagsRgreat like this.
  9. BeanbagsRgreat

You're welcome! I haven't been able to find them in many places online but If you google Carhartt EB231 a few places should pop up, I believe they come from the uk. There's an actual shop in NYC, I haven't been to it yet cause I know it's gonna be torture to not leave with everything. Good luck on the britches hunt :)

AK Adventurer likes this.
  10. cowsmilk

cowsmilk EDC Junkie!!!!!

My small town boot shop can order Carharrt clothing. I've done that before and it worked out great. The nearest metropolitan area has at least two shops that have an extensive collection of Carharrt clothing in stock so I'll try to find some there to gauge sizes.

AK Adventurer and BeanbagsRgreat like this.
  11. twogunmojo

twogunmojo Banned

i love cargo pants and carpenters pants and painters paints but the problem that i find now is that i am really tired of relaxed fit anything...

i found a pair of woodland bdu pants today at my local goodwill for 6 dollars...they look almost new and there was only one button missing from a back pocket flap...

i haven't checked the country of origin yet but they fit better than any pair of carhartts/dickies/american eagle or any other clothing company you can mention as they seem to be made for smaller framed people.i.e.the leg/thigh openings are actually close to my skin as if they were made with a natural taper...

12. gordon_freeman

The ones I'm talking about are the B342's. I was just gonna link to the product page and specs. I prefer them without pleated pockets. Keeps everything tight and close to the body.

These were the 1st I ever heard of Carhartt making pants in anything but canvas and duck. Thick ripstop cotton in a tight weave is definitely a good choice of fabric. Nice for warmer weather.
    I work at a recreation park. Cotton ripstop is lighter and cooler for hot :censored: days. But not by much. It looks a little more presentable also when walking that line of well dressed but still useful.
    Shorts are out of the question for my job. My legs would be shredded on the 1st day, full of critters, poison ivy and thorn bushes. Maybe even chewed up by a pissed off coon stuck in a dumpster or garbage can.

Last edited by gordon_freeman, Jun 28, 2014
  13. BeanbagsRgreat

Dang, those are pretty awesome looking. (also is your name in reference to Half Life??)

14. gordon_freeman

Yeah, that's where my name comes from. Loved Half Life 2!! Wish they'd come out with a new one.

They could improve on these pants if they went with a dry-wik fabric blend. Under Armor makes a cargo pant, but they're very light and don't seem durable enough. They don't come in good colors either. They're also expensive, like most UA gear.

I have a few under armor items. A few hats, some dry-wik shirts. UA brand is huge in high school and college aged kids. The park I work for, they hire a bunch of kids for the summer every year and everything they wear or carry is UA.
    I can always tell what piece of gear works really well just by paying attention to the kids. Once a piece of gear has been found to work well for a specific task, all the kids I work with have that same piece of gear within a small time frame.
    Metolius climbing and belay gloves, petzl headlamps, Repel100 insect repellent, and dry-wik shirts. These are the standard equipment almost everyone there uses on a normal basis.

Last edited by gordon_freeman, Jun 28, 2014