1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Cargo pants without accursed Velcro

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by GrantC, Feb 4, 2015.

1. deeker

deeker Loaded Pockets

I was going to suggest Mountain Khakis. I have a couple of pairs and am quite fond of them. Have you looked at what Kuhl has to offer?

2. GrantC

GrantC Loaded Pockets

I've seen some Kuhls, and disliked the styling enough that I didn't even consider them.

MK seems to be a relatively small company that doesn't have a big stock - they're out of most everything right now.

3. mrdabble

mrdabble Loaded Pockets

Vertx Phantom OPS after much searching! the pockets are amazing, except the 2 butt pockets have flaps that make them hard to access.

4. herman30

herman30 Loaded Pockets

:hug: Me, too.

5. GrantC

GrantC Loaded Pockets

Just found the 5.11 Covert Cargo pants - unexpectedly un-tactical (especially given the company), and not exactly the styling I had in mind, but they sure look nice.

6. Cprrckwlf

Cprrckwlf Loaded Pockets

Now that I'm thinking about it there's close to 0 Velcro (patch panels aside) on any of my tad stuff. The hood keeper on my stealth. Nothing else I can thing of. But all of the pants use button flaps (cargo or pocket) where flaps are. The recons have low volume, hidden-ish cargo pockets that zip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Tom Aiello

Tom Aiello Loaded Pockets

It's pretty easy to pick off the velcro and replace it.

I use a lot of rare earth magnets instead. It's actually pretty nice.

veriest1 likes this.
  8. MezmerizedOne

MezmerizedOne Empty Pockets

Check out RIGGS WORKWEAR by Wrangler. The cargo pants are ripstop fabric and have snap buttons to close the pockets. They run $35-50 depending on where you get them.

9. Towanda

Towanda Loaded Pockets

Wrangler Riggs Workwear Ranger Pants. Pretentious name, fantastic pants. The cargo pockets have snaps instead of Velcro.

10. GrantC

GrantC Loaded Pockets

You guys missed the part where I said I've worn Riggs Ranger pants for a decade and am not happy with the drop in quality over the last several years...

11. veriest1

veriest1 Loaded Pockets

I think he meant LA Police gear BDU's. They're pretty much all I wear anymore at work or at home and they have no velcro (I've grown to hate it as well).

It doesnt hurt that their BDU's have held up a lot better than their "tactical" pants in my experience.

And they're cheap. Can't complain about that.

My EDC Stuff

12. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

That. Take out your sharp knife (if you dont have one you dont belong on this forum) and get a nice little punch n rivot set to put your own snap buttons instead! Now you are no longer limited to buying clothes because they have no velcro!

Personally i dont like magnets but if you do thats also a nice way to replace velcro.

13. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

What's your budget GrantC? There are numerous brands of cargo pants without hook and loop closures. It might also be helpful to understand your intended use. Basic everyday casual wear? Heavy use work environment?

14. GrantC

GrantC Loaded Pockets

I keep hearing that there are "numerous brands" but am having trouble finding them!

Budget? Whatever it takes, but it would be nice to hold them to $60/pr.

Use: basic indoor/outdoor casual wear, suitable for going to a decent restaurant but well built enough for long life and the occasional scramble through the black berry bushes. Looking for a hiking appearance as opposed to a tactical appearance (trying to blend in, not stand out like Tactical Timmy) or the urban hipster look (I'm too old for the trendy nonsense, and where I live they stick out like the city folk they are.)

The pockets need to be functional; I like the look of Cabela's 7-pocket hikers, for instance, but the pockets are useless for anything thicker than a credit card.

Yes, I'd thought about adding snaps to existing pants but would rather not have things look modified or added-on. (My wife, a leather worker, has TONS of snaps and the proper machine for inserting them, so it's not a big deal and I have done it. I'll do it again if I have to, but would rather have something a little less obvious.)

(Oh, regarding Mountain Khakis: their cargo pants are officially discontinued and I can't find a pair in my size anywhere. They were PERFECT; that's the look I'm going for.)

veriest1 likes this.
  15. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

I have done this to two pairs of cargo pants, and agree that it is pretty easy to install snaps yourself. However, I find that the snaps come off equally easily. On both pairs, one of two snaps on each pocket flap was pulled out after only a couple of weeks.

16. GrantC

GrantC Loaded Pockets

The key to doing snaps properly is a) have a tool that swages the stud really tightly and b) use a hole punch just big enough to accept the stud. I've never had a snap pull out when done in that manner.

sungame likes this.
  17. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

You're probably right. I've been using the cheap tool that comes with the studs.

18. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

OK, here are a few brands:
    1. Triple Aught Design
    2. VertX
    3. Military Surplus BDU Pants (Woodland & Desert)
    4. Old Navy
    5. Eddie Bauer
    6. LL Bean

Sounds like the VertX pants might fit your requirements very well.

19. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

I don't know what they are like these days, but US Military BDUs used to be the bees knees back in the nineties!

The poly/cotton blend ripstop fabric was truly durable, the fit was great and adjustable waist tabs made it even better. The pockets were good, too! I haven't been able to find a good pair locally for quite some time, but I seem to remember that you could get them in OD Green (or was that olive drab?), black, khaki and, if you were really lucky, navy, if you wanted a more civilian look that the different camo patterns.

Mudinyeri likes this.
  20. veriest1

veriest1 Loaded Pockets

The pocket issue is something I've encountered on the "tactical" pants they issue us. They have velcro pockets that can't even carry a thin pair of gloves comfortably. I'm not impressed at all and have gone back to wearing regular BDU's until someone complains.

My EDC Stuff