1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Cargo Organizer for Car/Truck

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Wishoot, Jan 28, 2017.

1. G.T.

G.T. Loaded Pockets

If you want to be able to secure it and keep the contents hidden, why not consider a type of drawer vault similar to the types made by companies like "Truck Vault" or "Goose Gear?" You can of course source something from one of them or another manufacturer, or take the time to make your own. The Goose Gear products use a product commonly referred to as "80/20 Quick Frame" which is very light, endlessly customizable, and very affordable. If you've ever built anything from Ikea then you can easily make your own 80/20 storage drawer for your Subaru.

Once completed you can take it a step further and place like items into small labeled bags that are easy to remove when needed but help keep everything neat and tidy. I'd think that something with two drawers, six to eight inches tall and the width of the rear of the wagon that is deep enough to just end at the rear seats would provide you with a considerable amount of space and organization.

May be "taking it too far," but I'm the type that likes to carry allot in my vehicle but want everything safely in it's place so it doesn't become a missile in cases of emergency maneuvering and collisions.

Here is an image of a single drawer unit that someone made out of quick frame that is probably ten to twelve inches tall.

[​IMG]

2. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

Great set-up! But probably much more than I need for my humdrum everyday activities. I'm a minimalist and don't store much in my car. I try not to keep valuables in my car either.

3. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

We've started using a lot of 80/20 stuff at work. A DIYer's dream.

Whatever you decide on... bag, bins, boxes, make sure it's fastened down securely because anything that isn't bolted down (and some stuff that is) goes flying in a crash (that includes your dog).

4. Airth

Airth Loaded Pockets

Welcome to the Subaru club! I faced a similar prospect when going from an older pickup truck to a Forester, and shopped around for a storage box. Imagine my surprise once I discovered all the little cubbies and hidey-holes under the mat where the spare tire lives in the cargo area, as well as the side panels which snap away to expose the tail lights. I actually managed to get all my "truck stuff" completely stowed and out of sight, so the cargo area just contains a towel, wool blanket and an emergency change of clothes. I'll snap some photos when I'm able to get good enough day light to display everything in place. Aside from the standard road kit built for Colorado winters, I have enough equipment tucked away to make an uncomfortable but survivable night in the woods.

5. smokingfish

smokingfish Loaded Pockets

I found a small milk crate and washed it. It fits perfectly between driver seat and rear seat, or the passenger side.
    I plan to wrap it in something liquid proof, so it doesn't look tacky, like a crate.

ran23 and Wishoot like this.
  6. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

Interesting. I'll have to check behind the plastic of the cargo area in the Outback to see what kind of room it has for stuff.

7. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

Milk crates are a point of pride. I've got a '76 Honda CB350 motorcycle with luggage rack. I had to scour the town to find an appropriate milk crate to bungie to the rack (stealing one from behind the grocery store, although traditional, just wouldn't have been fair).

Wishoot and smokingfish like this.
  8. Fusilier

Fusilier Loaded Pockets

My trunk is usually pretty full with a large LLBean zipper bag, a medium
    duffle bag and a stack of folding CleverCrate bins. I'm amazed I have room for groceries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wishoot likes this.
  9. smokingfish

smokingfish Loaded Pockets

Does bungee secure it well?

Haha, I just found another crate, this one is full size. Would be great for camping.

Just need to order some codura and attempt to sew it on myself

Wishoot likes this.
  10. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

Problem solved. Picked up a couple of these collapsible crates from Costco (around $7 each). Glued some rubber furniture coasters to the bottom so they won't slide around. Total investment around $20. Does exactly what I need them to do.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Treya, G.T., kottskrapa and 2 others like this.
  11. mizedog

mizedog Loaded Pockets

Cool.
    I still want to move from bins to long drawers for my truck. The bins slide around, and I can't reach the one closest to the cab without opening the tonneau.
    Or, maybe I'll build open top drawers to set the bins inside.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Wishoot likes this.
  12. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

I have a Plano sportsmans trunk in the boot of my forester.
    Fits almost the full width, has just enough room for the tiedowns on the ends.
    Fits my compressor, tools, jumperleads, tow rope, rain jacket, blanket, tarp, tow hitch and some of my rarely used work gear

Wishoot likes this.