1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Carbon Fiber Pocket Clips?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Joe58, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Joe58

Joe58 Loaded Pockets

Just curious if anyone has tried any of the new carbon fiber pocket clips that are available from the knife part supply sources.

I have a couple of them been haven't given them a try yet.

I was kinda waiting to see if there was going to be any feedback on the forums about them but haven't seen much.

I'll have to pick a knife I carry fairly regular and see how one works out. They sure are light. Weight is next to nothing. Generally I'm not too big a CF fan but they might be good for a pocket clip as long as they aren't too slick.

Joe

2. Foster
    • In Omnia Paratus

Foster Loaded Pockets

Wouldn't carbon fibre be a little too brittle for a pocket clip? I'd be worried about it snapping off. CF is plenty strong but not overly bendy, at least compared with steel.

thatotherguy likes this.
  3. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

No thanks. I've snapped Spyderco clips by snagging them and they make some of the best clips in the business. I would surely destroy carbon fiber. It might be nice on a gents knife that you might carry clipped in a suit jacket or something like that.

4. Xiii
    • In Omnia Paratus

Xiii Loaded Pockets

I will be interested to see how they go I have snapped quite a few steel ones and a couple of plastic ones over the years. IMHO I think might be to brittle, I will happily be proved wrong. Please keep us posted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. popedandy

popedandy Loaded Pockets

That has been my impression as well.

6. 42

42 Loaded Pockets

The carbon fiber clips are nice but crude. Very glossy and the edges are very sharp. After getting a 940-1 I saw the carbon fiber clips advertised and bought two, one to experiment with and one to reap the benefit of those experiments.

The clips are very tight and hard to use, easily fixed with a butane soldering iron with a heat gun tip, the glossiness is best fixed with a dremel and a Scotch Brite type buffing wheel and the sharp edges can be touched up with any dremel grinding stone. Total time, about 15 minutes. If you're worried about the clip snagging, pull the knife off your pocket and drop it in.

They're not expensive, buy a couple and experiment.

Mark

Gary Gross likes this.
  7. Gary Gross

Gary Gross Loaded Pockets

Where do find these newfangled goodies?

8. ItsHardToKnow

ItsHardToKnow Loaded Pockets

9. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

There is different ways to make a clip, bent or ground/milled from a solid piece.

There's some bent ones available from souces like usaknifemaker or others.
    @Keyman also made some clips from a solid piece of cf.
    http://edcforums.com/threads/show-us-your-knife-mods.109204/page-132#post-2594744

I guess that way is more stable but anyhow, a metal clip can be bent back (might need some heating to prevent snapping),
    a plastic clip just breaks off (and loose carbon fibers are some nasty stuff).

Once I tried to make one myself. It worked well but I took a wrong way at screw area because I should have left more material and sink in the screws.
    It broke off eventually due to that, maybe I'll make another one someday - on a tip-up knife...

[​IMG]

10. 42

42 Loaded Pockets

Got them here: http://tinyurl.com/zu5ayu9

I got the blue one to match the pillars. The color comes from just the threads running side to side and is apparently thin strips of mylar. It has a nice iridescent quality that shifts from blue to black depending on the viewing angle.

[​IMG]

Gary Gross likes this.
  11. Gary Gross

Gary Gross Loaded Pockets

I'd looked at those not even 2 weeks ago and wondered about the quality. Plus I'd never actually seen one on a knife. Thanks for posting!

12. Keyman

Keyman Loaded Pockets

Here's a couple different ones I've been testing out on my BM forum knife.....[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by Keyman, Jan 11, 2017
    #12 Keyman, Jan 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    42 likes this.
  13. 42

42 Loaded Pockets

How stiff are they and where can they be found?

Adahn likes this.