1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Carabiners Vs. S-Biners

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by Pine Box Parkinson, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Rrrino43

Rrrino43 Loaded Pockets

I dont mind S biners. I use the #4 and 5 on my moab10 and 6 for hanging things like baseball caps. I use a stainless wire cable with a threaded barrel to secure my keychain contents which are held by sampo type swivels.I wish I knew how to upload pictures to show how I loop the cable around in such a way that if the biner opens by accident nothing is lost.

2. toemke

toemke Loaded Pockets

I got two S-biners as a gift years ago. While I initially liked them, a couple of attributes eventually really irritated me. The ratio of size to loadbearing, size to gate opening and the security of the gate is horrible. And I don't see the point of the two openings. Carabiners are used to attach an object to another. If I remove the object again, I'm going to leave the carabiner on one of these two objects anyway, so two openings is overkill.
    As an alternative I can highly recommend Kong mini carabiners. Three styles are available, the Mini D, the Mini Pear and the Alu Harness.
    The Mini Pear and Alu Harness come in different sizes (50mm,60mm and 52,5mm, 64,5mm, 86mm respectively), while bearing a load between 120 and 600kg, depending on the size. All of them have keylock gates and an several options for the finish.
    A problem might be finding one of them. While a local outdoor retailer has the whole assortment, google didn't find major online stores carrying these.

3. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Loaded Pockets

• Hot-linked images removed, Rule #3.b.
    S-biners are junk.

My minimum for keychain use is the Black Diamond Jivewire FunBiner. The plastic body doesn't scratch anything up, the gate is strong and secure, and it's dirt cheap. About the same size as a typical S-biner. I've used one for years without issues. VERY reliable.

http://m.rei.com/mt/www.rei.com/product/618420/black-diamond-jivewire-funbiner-large

http://m.rei.com/img/ucdn/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rei.com%2Fzoom%2F618420Lrg.jpg%2F440&ttl=30d&pt

--
    sent via carrier pigeon from my secret hideout

4. Ademar

Ademar Loaded Pockets

What is the size, overall/gate?

5. MangeD700
    • In Omnia Paratus

MangeD700 EDC Junkie!!!!!

If i´m going to buy a new carabiner, to hold my keys and tools, i´m thinking a bit further than that... It might be good to have something that can hold my weight, if necessary. Probably going to buy some climbing carabiner, since the keychain isn´t that slim anymore anyways... ;)

6. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Loaded Pockets

Here are some pics to illustrate. The outer size is 3". The inner size is 2.25". The opening is .75". The actual gate opening (not shown) is also .75". The perfect size keychain/small utility binder.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

--

7. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Loaded Pockets

Black Diamond also makes an aluminum version called the Micron FunBiner.

--

8. Ademar

Ademar Loaded Pockets

Thank you.
    Looks not that bulky.

9. jeepsrjason
    • In Omnia Paratus

jeepsrjason Loaded Pockets

Got an S-biner AHHH and I quite like it. I did have to put some gorilla glue on the gate end, pins, pokey things... whatever they are, as they kept catching on my shirts. Anyway...
    [​IMG]

MedicInTraining likes this.
  10. Fabregas485
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fabregas485 Loaded Pockets

Not so useful without a harness and the rope/s.

11. Quixotica

Quixotica Loaded Pockets

Wear a rigger's belt and carry some 550 cord. Boom. Done and done.

Don't do that. You'll die.

12. littlequick
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

littlequick EDC junkie

Grimlocs and Climbing 'biners. It's all I've used. My stepfather gave me his old climbing carabiner, and I THINK it's from before I was born. I'll look it up.

13. MangeD700
    • In Omnia Paratus

MangeD700 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Going to buy that too, soon...

Geocaching isnt just on the ground ;)

14. BravoOscarFoxtrotHotel

BravoOscarFoxtrotHotel Loaded Pockets

Yep, thats the one. Works quite well even with gloves, though. Except VERY thick ones.

--
    Sent from a Marconi wireless using Morse Code.

15. ac7ss
    • In Omnia Paratus

ac7ss Loaded Pockets

I used to LOVE S-Biners, not so much anymore.

The medium sized ones are OK. The trick is to not use ones big enough to allow your key ring to re-enter the gate (placing both halves of the ring inside the opening, thereby freeing the keys.) One use I have found for them is tying a lanyard to the center or threading it through the webbing on my bag, leaving two separate gated entries (once again, do not use bigger than you really need).

There are better, cheaper clips for grouping your keys/gear.

The only disadvantage I have found for my GrimLoks are that they are a little thick to clip small clips onto.

16. Dirt Rickler

Dirt Rickler Loaded Pockets

I have been using a metal S-Biner since they came out. Admittedly, my EDC key setup is minimal (2 keys), but I have never had an issue in years of use.

The fact that they are smaller than a standard carabiner is one of the main selling points for me. I am able to clip them to the outside of my motorcycle tank-bag, or onto my riding jacket without the addition of bulk that a full-size carabiner brings.

That being said, I do keep two carabiners in my bag for emergency abseiling, underwater tie-offs, and to aid in the self-recovery of a wayward motorcycle.

17. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stonerman33 Loaded Pockets

Haven't had issues with mine for the year or better I've used it for my personal keys. Not the best biner I've owned, but it holds up better than the cheapie ones you can get most places. Don't really have anywhere local that sells climbing equipment to grab "the real deal" but I also don't feel the need to upgrade at this point either. One person's trash is another person's functional keychain.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

18. Pine Box Parkinson
    • In Omnia Paratus

Pine Box Parkinson Not a N00b

I have finally found a use for my #2 Nite Ize S-Biner. I attached it to my SAK that I have floating in my pocket. I'm always worried it will scratch my iphone so I connected it to the keyring on the SAK and now that hangs inside my front left pocket all the way over (toward my zipper) this way my phone can be in my pocket. and my SAK is hanging inside and about an inch away from the screen. I've had good luck with this. Since the S Biner is 90% inside my pants pocket, i'm not worried about it anymore.

19. PaBushcrafter4659

PaBushcrafter4659 Loaded Pockets

I just go with a 600lb test lock-a-link :)

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

20. tharper2202

tharper2202 Loaded Pockets

I'm not completely satisfied with my S-Biners. I was excited to use them at first because they have a skinnier profile than regular carabiners. However If I wasn't the observant type, I would have lost my keychain multitool multiple times and I almost my car key. I think I'm going to put heat shrink on the bottom gate.