1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Carabiner-less Style CS

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by Ssouth, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Ssouth

Ssouth Loaded Pockets

In an effort to reduce the size of my EDC and as a test for my new Skeletool I decided to remove the carabiner from my Style CS. It was a fairly simple project and took maybe 30 minutes from start to finish. Used the ever handy Dremel with a cut-off wheel, grinder for rough shaping, small files and sand paper for finishing. Overall, I'm very happy with the outcome and strongly considering doing this mod to my new Skeletool.
    I never used the carabiner or bottle opener so it was just taking up extra space in my pocket. Removal took 5/8" of total length off of the tool.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lorenzo, sungame and Nick4305 like this.
  2. Millertime1974
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Millertime1974 Loaded Pockets

Interesting. I always "used" that part to help hold the CS or PS in hand while using the pliers or scissors. Do you find it harder to use now?

sungame likes this.
  3. Ssouth

Ssouth Loaded Pockets

I haven't really used it since removing the carabiner but I just cut some paper and a piece of paracord just to test and it seems to work just fine. I can see where the extra length would give a little more leverage on pliers of PS but for the scissors I think it may be a non issue unless you have really large hands. I'm going to wait on doing this to my skeletool until I have had some time to use it a bit more. What got me thinking about doing this was that I carry a Wave while working but it's overkill for casual use and I was looking for something minimal in size and weight. The Skeletool seems to fit that bill but once I received it and started playing with it I got to thinking the carabiner was just wasted space for me. My weekend pocket tool was a Squirt P4 until it was lost so I started carrying the Style CS and have never had a use for the carabiner. Cutting it off killed two birds with one stone. It allowed me to reduce the volume in my pocket(although very little) and see how it might look if I do decided to chop the Skeletool.

4. Yablanowitz
    • +2 Supporter

Yablanowitz Loaded Pockets

I think you'd be better off buying a Freestyle rather than cutting the carabiner off the Skeletool. It also acts as a cover over the bit driver when the tool is closed, so if you cut it off you'll either have a screwdriver poking you or you'll have to leave the bit out.

5. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

I was thinking almost the same thing. I totally agree that the carabiner makes the scissors easier to use. For me, however, the handle length is even more important when I am using the little knife blade. In fact, to me, the extra grip length of the Style CS is the main reason it works better as a knife than the Micra.

6. Ssouth

Ssouth Loaded Pockets

A Freestyle is out of the question because it lacks a screwdriver. I've seen where others cut the carabiner off and only used 1 bit from the Wave (Phillips/flathead) and kept it stored in the handle until it was needed. This afternoon and evening I carried the Skeletool in a small leatherman sheath I had laying around. In the sheath the length was a non-issue.

I totally understand the leverage argument for keeping the carabiner but if I need that much leverage on a small knife or scissors that probably means I just need a bigger tool altogether. I really don't carry a mini tool enough to put it through a thorough workout. For me it's just used for a night out to dinner, shopping, church, and etc... For those who might carry this type of tool on a regular daily basis where it must fill multiple roles daily I can understand the need for more leverage and comfort.

sungame likes this.
  7. Yablanowitz
    • +2 Supporter

Yablanowitz Loaded Pockets

Yeah, I've got one of those worthless Wave bits laying here on my desk. I'm not sure that it is better than simply doing without a screwdriver. But then, I carry enough other tools that it wouldn't matter to me.

8. Ssouth

Ssouth Loaded Pockets

Well...... It seems I will not be able to test the merits of a carabiner-less style. My wife saw me using the file this weekend and started questioning the tool. After showing her the different tools I offered it to her. She quickly accepted and away it went into the abyss of things carried in the purse.

sungame likes this.
  9. ItsHardToKnow

ItsHardToKnow Loaded Pockets

Just means you can buy more tools now

SurivStud likes this.