1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Car Trip

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Shreknow91, Jun 1, 2008.

1. Shreknow91

Shreknow91 Loaded Pockets

Ok, so me and a few friends are going on a car trip down to the gulf coast of Florida ( :roof: ) we will be traveling in one of my freind's mother's escelade(sp?) so its not like we are ruffing it :laugh:

Is there anything that you guys (and girls) think is absolutly neccesary for a 10-12 hour road trip

(no alcohol as we are all underage)

Thanks alot y'all :highfive:

2. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

Spare tire -- make sure it is inflated. A flat spare is no good. Make sure the SUV still has a working jack.

I suggest you bring drinking water, road flares, flashlights, blankets, snacks, Immodium, ibuprofen.

3. NSaglibene

NSaglibene Empty Pockets

Me and my friends did a cross country trip this past winter. NY to New Orleans than out to cali and back to NY. It was amazing, keep some extra food, water and drinks in your car to avoid a lot of extra stops. Our whole trip actually cost us only about 500 each bust we did a lot of camping on the side of the road and stuff.

4. bpa

bpa Loaded Pockets

Cell phone, camera with charger, emergency contact information

5. alan85

alan85 Loaded Pockets

Surprised nobody mentioned a road map or atlas.. Being lost is frustrating, especially with today's gas prices.

6. EXCALIBUR

EXCALIBUR Loaded Pockets

Don't leave home without a GPS.

7. hawkeye

hawkeye Loaded Pockets

Get a couple of reflective safety vests, and wear them if you need to do roadside repairs.

Compass to go with the maps, even if you have a gps. Compasses work under tree cover.

Everyone should have some long pants and a light jacket or vest and a rain jacket, just in case.

A couple of blankets - for warmth, for a makeshift litter, to lay/sit on in case you have to get under the truck.

A set of mechanics tools - sockets/ratchet, screwdrivers, pliers, allen keys.

Zip ties, parachute cord, hose clamps, duct tape, batteries

First aid kit

8. Shreknow91

Thank you all for your responses, we already have a gps, and detailed road maps of the states we will be passing through.

Ian (its his mother's car) is a good mechanic, so he will probably bring a tool set, and he is having the car taken to a shop to double check everything.

9. chmsam

chmsam Loaded Pockets

Since they can cost up to $20 for each state, try to find the ones you are going to use more often, but DeLorme Atlas & Gazeteers are very good maps and cover virtually every practical road in the state. Check out your local bookstore. They also have a GPS/laptop software package that is pretty good.

It's great but beware of GPS if only for this reason -- a friend went on a trip last year following instructions from her brand new GPS. Since she was busy talking with the other people in the vehicle, she was rather surprised when she came to a toll booth. Her GPS had somehow found an access road to that interstate without an entry booth, so she had no card. She never noticed (a blond moment, perhaps?) and was stuck with a toll for the entire length of the turnpike in that state and that was probably an extra $15 or more she didn't want to spend.

Other friends have had their GPS direct them to left turns that were really right turns (and the right turn was the only one available), to bridges that had been closed for years, etc. Even if only because of an emergency up ahead, a good map will get you out of the traffic. Another benefit of DeLorme A&G is that doing the tourist thing or just plain sight seeing, is a lot less of a :censored:. Heck, they even give phone numbers for a lot of attractions.

Some really obvious stuff that people still tend to forget --

Road flares, a tow rope (tow straps are better), and a fire extinguisher are also must have items. DOT triangles (reflective truckers' triangles) are OK, but a flare really gets attention.

A thermos of coffee, a thermos of cold water, and hard candy or the like really keeps the thirsties/dry mouth at bay. Cheap ways to keep happy.

Also, a reminder for those prone to car sickness -- Dramamine takes time to work so take it a little bit before you start out.

10. Shreknow91

Well, the good part is that everyone BUT me has been to our destination multiple times, so they pretty much know the way there, we are just bringing the GPS and maps as a precaution, as far as i know, none of us are prone to car sickness.

11. heathah

heathah Loaded Pockets

Ummmm....

Gas, and lots of it. You are driving an Escalade after all. :)

Seriously, though, it looks like everyone here has thought of almost everything you might need. I'd also like to suggest you take plenty of change, probably mostly quarters, for toll roads, snack/pop machines, payphones, etc.

Good luck and have fun on your trip.

Heath

12. inthedark

inthedark Empty Pockets

AAA membership, and a cell phone, and lots of money.

As a AAA member, not only do you have 24 hour roadside support, you can get free maps of any city you need, plus discounts on hotels and restaurants. Their free guidebooks aren't bad either. It's well worth the $40 annual fee.

Keep a small ice chest in the car with all your snacks and drinks, that way you don't have to make a hundred stops everytime someone gets thristy.

I did a rountrip from Tampa to the Everglades and Miami a long time ago, the one thing I remember about it is Florida is really, really, really, flat. No mountains, no hills, barely a speedbump along the way. 10-12 hours is not too bad, especially if you have multiple drivers. Just take your time and don't try and rush, half the fun of the roadtrip is being on the road. Are you planning on doing it all in 1 day or split it up into 2, and are you going to take the main highways or the backroads? If you or your friends are not used to doing long distance driving, try not to let anyone drive for more than a few hours at a time, even if they claim they're not tired. It's very easy to become hypnotized on long stretches of road and lose concentration. At the very least stop every couple of hours to get out of the car, if only for a few minutes. The few minutes of time wasted is nothing compared running off the road or getting into an accident.

13. Shreknow91

we are doing it in one day (hopefully) and as far as i know, we are doing the highway