1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Car stuck in snow/ice

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by Djs105, Feb 4, 2014.

1. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

Careful saying things like that, your gonna tempt fate... my sister is in the middle of "OMFG its hot all the time" Florida and last week they had 2" to 4" of snow and lots of ice. ;)

That^^^^, I was about to post that I have a standard alaskan snow shovel, that the rest of the country calls a grain shovel ;) :D

And for me its about 250#s of tools :nah_disagree: in a truck box for weight.(Not sure if I have gravel or not... think thats in my plow truck right now)

I also have a little garden spade, its only about 2 feet long, and super pointy, its great for digging at a packed burm under the truck where the big shovel won't fit, or chipping at ice. Basically the fixed blade version of the folding army shovels ;)

If it gets really bad I've got tire chains(super diggers for ice, these are cut down Semi/dump truck chains), although I've never needed them, and come to think of it, right now they're not fit to the tires I have now... (*knock wood* say that and then I'll need them soon :rolleyes:)

If your somewhat rural, and have evergreen trees, a fast easy traction aid is to cut a few boughs and stuff them under your tires... great traction!

ManVsLawn and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  2. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

I took out my kitty litter to make space. It is still in the 20-30's, will put it back in tomorrow. good reading

Cobra 6 Actual and SAKplumber like this.
  3. Evilbunny

Evilbunny Loaded Pockets

I wouldn't call sand something with traction. and you guys are stealing all the water we have barely any rain here in california

Cobra 6 Actual and Lee Bradbury like this.
  4. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

No worries if it snows here I just stay home. And just to say I drive thru Colorado on I-70 through Eisenhower tunnel and on to Nebraska at Christmas time. So chains, shovel, tow strap, jumper cables and all the other winter needs go with us. And here it's dry heat which is better than Florida's steambath heat, so she has my condolences!

5. Domain

Domain Loaded Pockets

I saved many friends with kitty litter and the cold steel shovel. I never needed it for myself ;)

ran23, Cobra 6 Actual and SAKplumber like this.
  6. Lee Bradbury

Lee Bradbury Loaded Pockets

Haven't got a shovel in the boot but, after reading this thread, had a look at the Cold Steel shovel.....and noticed that it's nigh-on the same as the German WW1 shovel my Dad has and is getting rid of; guess who is getting a 'new' shovel but will probably never need to use it?

Aside from the shovel I do have a bag in the boot with tow-rope, gloves, hi-viz, jumper cables, warning triangle, wind-up torch and small FAK; the fire extinguisher always stays close at hand and not in the boot, just like my window-hammer/belt cutter.

Djs105 and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  7. Ironside

Ironside Loaded Pockets

I use the cars mats for traction. Used them recently with a shovel. Got a Subie with snow tires but the snow plows haven't kept up with the constant snowing here in Ontario.

8. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Both great ideas! I like the roofing shingle idea because you wouldn't care if they got torn up. However, the car mats are a good back-up in an emergency situation.

9. cowsmilk

cowsmilk EDC Junkie!!!!!

I use the sand for traction if needed on ice, or after I have cleared snow from under the truck if I need it. It's primary use is keeping the rearend of my truck pushed down as much as possible due to the truck being rear wheel drive.

I haven't had to cut a bag open for a long time, but would not hesitate to do so if needed.

10. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

Think my BIL got long tubes of sand from Menard's and put the in the pickup bed.IIRC

11. cowsmilk

cowsmilk EDC Junkie!!!!!

That's what I did, four 70# tubes, from the local gas station.

12. Lasers-Edge

Lasers-Edge Banned

Forgot to put the shovel back in the back.... love reading the posts, it really helps. With the winter we're having..... I keep adding to the list of carry items. Love the idea of the shingles.

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  13. Epilektos

Epilektos Loaded Pockets

I keep a couple of rubber truck step grips in the trunk. I took safety grip tape and stuck it to the back so both sides provide traction. Cheap, lightweight and they work quite well for my little BMW.

From thine pillow fort

14. riot

riot Loaded Pockets

The Cold Steel shovel is hands down the best "small" shovel money can buy. Sure, it's not collapsible, but that adds to its strength. Everyone should own one!

The place where I bought mine offers an "upgraded" version. It not only came with the sheath, but he put scary sharp convex edge it that would lop the head off a zombie with little to no effort!

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA using Tapatalk!

15. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

I got a little aluminum snow shovel at Costco, in fast it was a set of two, and put one in mine & one in the Wife's trucks. Its really just a snow removal tool. But its nice to have:)

AK Adventurer and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  16. MKram

MKram Loaded Pockets

CDoT does a great job of keeping snow off the roads but oftentimes there is just too much coming down to manage, so good on you for being ready. And don't get me started about avalanche control... Those signs "Blasting for avalanches may occur at any time and without warning" near the back-country pull-offs just make my ears ring thinking about it.

vegassprky likes this.
  17. RossHoss

RossHoss Loaded Pockets

A old snowmobile track works great for traction, and I have a old shovel for if I need to dig out

18. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Yeah, that's what I keep in the boot of my car too, only got a cheap folding shovel but it's got me out of stuck a couple of times.

19. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

Prevention is the best medicine. Good snow tires, even on a FWD or RWD car works wonders. New tire tech is really astonishing! Also driving technique is very important, as is knowing how your car works. I drive a large RWD van at work with no traction control and never got stuck.
    I traded my Subie in for a tiny Honda because of fuel efficiency, I will see after 12 years of different Subies if I can still drive in the snow... I was a Honda owner previously, and never got stuck, but there were a few hills I couldn't climb. There are no hills where I live now!

ManVsLawn likes this.