1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Car rope

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Djs105, Aug 12, 2016.

1. LostBoy(IRL)

LostBoy(IRL) Empty Pockets

Jamming, is a bit of an excessive word indeed, push the rope in, until the lock snaps down over it, with a normal sized rope it will barely touch the rope. By pushing the rope in all your really trying to do is get the lock to engage.
    It does work, and works well. But here is the key, if you have the right type of lock to begin with

2. Fragarach

Fragarach Loaded Pockets

4-8mm rope should be fine, it can't really jam, it just won't close... but with a loop in the end rather than a knot. Loop can't pull through and distributes load straight down on the lock like it's intended where as a knot would apply a light side load as well, which when on a hatchback at 100km/h could be excessive.

LostBoy(IRL) likes this.
  3. bringerofgame

bringerofgame Loaded Pockets

Hopefully the hanging hammock part was going out to straps that actually make contact with the tree and give a wider distribution of weight as to not injure the cadmium layer.

As for rope type, I would suggest looking at Amsteel. Very light, very strong, it floats and can be spliced. Also, if it snaps, it drops. No whipping around like a cable or chain.

4. Trespasser

Trespasser Loaded Pockets

So I had to look this up to see what you were referring to and I believe you mean cambium layer. As I have never seen any damage to the trees I have hung my hammock from (mostly pines) I wanted to see what trees might be damaged by hanging a hammock. According to the all knowing internet, damaging the cambium is mostly a danger if you hang repeatedly from thin barked trees. Not really an issue with most pine trees as a thick cork layer protects the cambium layer.

Thanks bringerofgame it's always nice to learn something new. So pines use whatever you like, Aspens and Birch type trees, use straps.

If you only have a rope you can always distribute the weight with a rap 3, pull 2 rig up it is essentially the same distribution as a strap.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  5. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

The W3P2 is really for securing a carabiner to tree using webbing. Use multiple loops into an Alpine butterfly loop and around the tree or tie a bowline loop with a really long end and pass the end into the loop and around the tree multiple times. Also, a short piece of scrap garden hose works well to protect the tree bark and the rope.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

6. bringerofgame

bringerofgame Loaded Pockets

It's really a standard of regulation, and apologize for my misspelling. On private land, do what you like if you own it. Public land, however, will get all hammocks banned if not properly hung. It has happened and been discussed more times than I can count on another forum. It's not my job to be that guy, but I don't want to lose any hang spots due to me keeping my mouth shut. I mean no offense at all. Several parks require straps in the rules governing hammocks, some parks are just getting an understanding of them. Now back to the topic of the forum. Does anyone have a comment on the Amsteel, or is it too pricey for what is being asked. I see what is spent on edc stuff in this forum and can't imagine quality wouldn't be worth a few more cents a foot.

7. Trespasser

I'll PM you with some other questions.

8. Trespasser

It is typically used for webbing but can be used for other materials as well. I sometimes use 6 mm cord and 3 wraps is what I consider the minimum for my needs. It's also easy for people to remember.

For what it's worth I was part of an industrial high angle and confined space rescue team (among other things) for many years. One thing you learn is there are endless ways to set up tie off points. And not all of them will work in every situation. Pick one or two that works for you and commit them to memory. Oh and factor in protection of the trees. We haven't had any issues with it but if someone else is, it's just a matter of time.

I just looked it up and it does seem pricey. If you are going to use it to tow it could be worth it. There are some crazy high breaking strengths on some of the larger diameters! There are 1/2" diameters that you could hang 6 or 7 cars from.

9. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

Not trying to do any knot dueling. ;)

I was just assuming that you didn't want to cut your rope or worry about carrying any webbing. I carry a lot of gear sometimes and sometimes very little. I agree with you completely: there's more than one way to skin a cat but you only need to remember one.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

10. Fire Fighter

Fire Fighter Loaded Pockets

In my vehicle, an offroad Mitsubishi Pajero (Shogun in the USA) with custom long distance camping set-up, I carry the following:

- assortment of paracord
    - 4 x ratchet straps
    - 4 × tie down rope 3 meters long each
    - several rope slings
    - polycotton bag of guy ropes
    - 10 meter length of good quality lightweight 9mm Petzl climbing rope
    - assortment of different colored cheap 3mm polyrope
    - cotton hemp rope (12mm) which I use to tie my cotton canvas hammock up with
    - several lengths of 2mm fencing wire (fixes everything)
    - 10 meter length of Dyneema (winch extension rope)
    - vehicle towing strap
    - ARB snatch strap with rated buckles which every vehicle going offroad should have (see photo)

[​IMG]

11. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

If you're towing, I'd recommend towing straps. They seem to work better in my experience than ropes.

For general purpose, I have about a hundred feet of orange 550 cord in my truck. Originally bought as a suspension line for my slinky dipole antenna, but never took it out of my truck after field day. 550 cord generally handles just about anything I need cordage for.