1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Car rope

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Djs105, Aug 12, 2016.

1. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

I always carry rope and tie-down straps in my trucks. I carry about 30 feet of 1/2 inch polypropylene. It's inexpensive and durable. I'm more likely to need to tie-down piece of furniture or a lumber than any of that other stuff.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

2. Towanda

Towanda Loaded Pockets

Regular old yellow poly rope floats and is widely available.

I'm still trying to figure out what kind of rope would be best for a flip-flop winch.

3. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

Probably the same polypropylene rope. I would expect to see some damage after using a flip-flop.

4. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Maybe just in case you were the one needing to BE towed? Been in that situation myself.

Moshe ben David

sungame and shmook like this.
  5. Towanda

Towanda Loaded Pockets

You need low-stretch or static rope for a flip-flop winch. You really, really don't want to be in the way of a stretchy rope that snaps while you're winching. Poly rope is pretty stretchy. My problem is finding static rope that won't break my bank.

sungame likes this.
  6. HyPnOtIk

HyPnOtIk Loaded Pockets

I have AAA for that. I live in a city setting so it's actually not too imperative for me. If I lived in the country I dang sure would have all kinds of stuff in my car to be prepared.

7. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

The flip flop has been around for a loooong time and a potential crippler with a heavy load (ouch!). I've seen pictures or it being used during WW2 (before the availability of any synthetic fibers). If stretch is a problem and you have decided to use a flip flop, go up in size or switch to polyester. Braided polyester ropes have even less stretch and they're still economical.

8. WyOkBuckskin

WyOkBuckskin Loaded Pockets

If that little 4 banger ever gives up and the only person you have seen in hours comes along and they have no rope either, you may end up wishing you had been prepared.

sungame and Moshe ben David like this.
  9. Towanda

Towanda Loaded Pockets

Thanks. I'll look at braided polyester.

10. Moshe ben David

Agreed. I have AAA also. There have been a few times though in my life in winter when I could not get traction on a side street, on a hill, parking lot... once slid partly into a small ditch. The wait for AAA would have been LONG (I was in an outer suburb). This was a time in my life when I worked sales on a type of home services. Luckily the home owner had a tow strap (and a 4x4 pickup) and within 10 minutes I was good to go. Yes I got the sale also!

Don't ask me why at that point I did not go out and get a strap for the car. Just didn't think of it.

L'chaim

Moshe ben David

Henryhoover likes this.
  11. Moshe ben David

OK. What is a 'flip-flop' winch? Is it just one of those ratchet things where you move the long handle back and forth?

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

12. Henryhoover

Henryhoover Loaded Pockets

I'm not if videos work on here but this is one I'd watched recently that explained it

13. baccar-3

baccar-3 Loaded Pockets

CSI Snatch-Um Strap.

14. Djs105

Djs105 Loaded Pockets

Thanks Hoover, that was super informative. I'm never doing that :)

Henryhoover likes this.
  15. Fragarach

Fragarach Loaded Pockets

If your car carries a full sized spare there us plenty of room inside the oil drain tub that you set inside the rim for a good length tow rope. Usually room for a set of jumper cables, a hammer and full socket and bar set around the outside edge as well.

Henryhoover likes this.
  16. Moshe ben David

Henryhoover: Very interesting video. No, that was not what I was envisioning! Neat piece of bushcraft. I think the ratchet device I was thinking of may be known to some as a 'get along' or something like that. Conceivable to have it in the car; no way you'd be out in the bush with it....!

Something like this? I grabbed this image off Amazon...

[​IMG]

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Henryhoover likes this.
  17. Trespasser

Trespasser Loaded Pockets

I carry 50 ft of either a 6 mm or 8 mm canyoneering rope. Canyoneering rope is a static rope that does not soak up water as readily as regular static ropes. IMLAY Gear sells a good rope. I usually just use cuts of my old ropes as I retire them from canyoneering duties. It's great stuff. Strong enough that I can rappel on it (8mm) but small and light. Stronger than poly rope of the same size and little to no stretch.

Uses I have put it to? Hanging hammocks, pulling small trees out, making temporary shelters, tying down loads, helped rescue a kid out of a cave, hanging food and packs in bear country. I am sure there are others but that is what I can remember off the top of my head.

adnj and Moshe ben David like this.
  18. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

This ^^^

A cable puller like this and an all nylon tows trap can handle a lot of different jobs. I sometimes carry one during the rains in he mountains to get fallen trees out of the roadway (not uncommon). They also come in handy for pruning and felling trees. The tension from the puller helps to drop the limb in the expected direction.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  19. LostBoy(IRL)

LostBoy(IRL) Empty Pockets

Moshe ben David, if you have no lashing point, check how your boot closes, if it's the type that the lid has a sort of hook, that latches onto a loop that in the car body. :censored: don't know how to describe the standard type. If you tie a knot in the end of the rope, push the rope into the locking mechanism. The lock should close over the rope, it doesn't grasp it right, without the knot you could simply pull the rope through. Does that make sense? When you want to release the rope, just use the boot handle to disengage the lock. Trying to Google images, of what I do, but not finding any. It gives a very quick latch point for a rope.
    Edit, best image I could find.
    Check out the second image on the site, it's for a specific product, but just using the rope with a knot works
    http://www.superropecinch.co.uk/secure-cargo-and-luggage/

Last edited by LostBoy(IRL), Aug 21, 2016
  20. Moshe ben David

I think I understand what you are saying. I'll take a look. Got to admit though that the concept of jamming rope into the lock mechanism leaves me a bit queasy; just seems like too much opportunity to create a different set of issues with a jammed lock.

Moshe ben David