1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Car rope

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Djs105, Aug 12, 2016.

1. Djs105

Djs105 Loaded Pockets

Simply, does anyone carry rope in their car? If so what kind and how long?

I'm thinking of adding some to my kit. I don't think I'll be towing or pulling out any cars, as my sedan won't handle it. I'm thinking in terms of water rescue, load tie down (maybe), other rope needs I guess. Any other ropes uses people can think of?

2. maillet282

maillet282 Loaded Pockets

Your best bet if your planning on water rescues, get what's called a throw bag( not a brand name), they have different lengths available and will be the easiest to throw with minimal technique required.

I carry one in my truck. I also carry some paracord

sungame likes this.
  3. Kris

Kris Loaded Pockets

For water rescue you do need specific floating rope that doesn't get weighed down and sink in the water.

As has been suggested you;re best off buying a "throwbag" and the practice, practice practice as using one correctly and accurately is a frangible skill.

4. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

Even if you can't pull someone out, they may be able to pull you out - it's sort of like women that carry condoms.... just in case. Also google "bushcraft flip flop winch," add a saw to your kit, and you can winch yourself out. As to length, the average distance to a tree, or pack a shovel too, and you could even bury your spare tire as a anchor point if there're no trees.

5. Djs105

Djs105 Loaded Pockets

Ok, let's say forget the water rescue :)

How about a good general purpose rope to have handy. I thought about some climbing rope, strong, lightweight, etc

6. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

If vehicle towing is on the menu, climbing rope is no good as it is designed to stretch to absorb the shock of a climber's fall.

sungame likes this.
  7. maillet282

maillet282 Loaded Pockets

You can get tow ropes specially designed for vehicles. But avoid any of them with metal ends. If that end breaks it becomes a piece of shrapnel that can kill real quick

Djs105 likes this.
  8. Djs105

Djs105 Loaded Pockets

I thought of adding a towing strap too, they are cheap enough.

9. Henryhoover

Henryhoover Loaded Pockets

Always had a tow strop in all my cars, they're just so handy even just helping someone out of the road when they've broken down in a bad place

10. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

This thread has me thinking ... I think I'll add a tow strap to my trunk gear bag. Seriously doubt I'd be trying to pull someone out but you never know when Professor Murphy will decide to teach another lesson!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Djs105 likes this.
  11. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

I have a 100' length of 550 paracord in the trunk. No particular reasoning other than the fact that I have more paracord than I have any need for, so why not. I have used it in the past to tie the trunk-lid down when I was carrying something too big to allow me to fully close the trunk.

Djs105 likes this.
  12. Adam Ng

Adam Ng Loaded Pockets

I have climbing rope and some paracords in the trunk for emergency uses, tie down straps for the cargo racks. I had a tow strap when I was driving larger SUV and truck. I nolonger carry it since switching to sedan and mini SUV.

Djs105 likes this.
  13. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Have an old but still functional Kong 10mm 60mt in the car.

Djs105 likes this.
  14. JOE68

JOE68 Loaded Pockets

4mm diamond braid nylon with a working strength between 80-100lbs. It works for general tie down functions, doesn't take up a lot of space, and available almost anywhere.
    Sometimes you don't need the ultimate mountain climbing, pull a 747, wonder stuff ---- it just needs to hold the trunk lid down, or some other generic cord purpose.

Djs105 likes this.
  15. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

I have a towing rope from a car supply store in my car, as well as assorted straps for securing loads.

Djs105 likes this.
  16. trfkcop

trfkcop Loaded Pockets

I keep a 30 foot length of bow line in my trunk. I use it for tying on the roof or whatever. Really handy.

17. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

You are more lucky than you realize. I only found out that the trunk lid on the 2010 Chevy Impala has nothing on which you can grab hold with any kind of line or hook or whatever to tie it down for carrying something too big to close the lid! GM forgot how we suburban dwellers sometimes need this...!

Moshe ben David

18. WyOkBuckskin

WyOkBuckskin Loaded Pockets

I have a tow strap, tow chain, 100 feet of paracord and a couple spools of "sportsmans" cord for another 100 feet or so.

19. shmook

shmook Loaded Pockets

It's in an estate car now, so less need, but when I had my pickup I had 4 ratchet straps, 4 bungees, 30 metres of generic rope (looked like climbing rope but wasn't), a shorter length of nylon rope, and tons of paracord.

Edit, dedicated tow rope too.

If I couldn't secure a load with that, it wasn't coming with me.

The bungees come in handy now more than anything, to secure smaller stuff in the boot :)

20. HyPnOtIk

HyPnOtIk Loaded Pockets

I have a small 4 banger car so I wouldn't see how it would be necessary for me. If I had a truck I absolutely would.