1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Car mount for a phone

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by Rutha73, Dec 15, 2017.

1. sleestac

sleestac Loaded Pockets

I received the Spigen CD and vent mount about 3 weeks ago based on reviews here. I couldn't be happier. The CD mount worked best for me car and the vent mount to my wife's car. The issue with the vent is the weight will pull the vent down. It isn't a huge issue since you can adjust the mount to accomodate the angle. Wife likes hers. I like the CD mount in Subaru since it is higher and easier to see for navigation. Thanks so much to those who recommended it.

2. YankeeHotelFoxtrot

YankeeHotelFoxtrot Loaded Pockets

I just installed the Anker magnetic mount today. It's a small sphere that's mounted on the dash and has an accompanying flat-top-surface/concave bottom component which rides on the sphere's surface. A thin metal plate is affixed to the back of the phone or phone case. Mine is attached to the latter. You're supposed to wait 24 hours to use the mount but I was able to use it after just a couple of hours of letting the glue set. The only obstacle was that the metal plate didn't hold securely enough to my phone case (perhaps because I didn't wait long enough). So I hit it with a few drops of Super Glue, which resolved the issue.

this is a cool solution - there are many similar devices from other brands, but I like Anker products so I went with their offering. I had been using a Quad Lock which has worked really well, but I got sick of looking at the female end of the QL on the back of my iPhone 7+. The Anker metal plate is thin, black, lightweight and is shaped like a rounded-square about the size of a U.S. half dollar. Except for the "Anker" name printed on the surface, the plate is basically invisible on the iPhone's black case. With the QL, I an mount the phone in either a portrait or landscape orientation (90 degree increments). The Anker allows a full 360 degree rotation of the phone.

Click here to view the Anker solution on Amazon. Because I was able to order $35 worth of stuff, and because I have Amazon Prime, I got free same-day delivery, which was sweet.

3. KLF

KLF Loaded Pockets

I have currently two of these in my car: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01712AHBG/
    Apparently that one is sold out right now but there was another one available that looked just the same... Probably from same no-name factory anyways.
    It comes with both fan grill mount and suction cup for windshield so you have both options. It has QI wireless charging (which was the point of buying one in the first place).

One I have near the A-pillar, left of the steering wheel. I used the windshield mount there. It's close enough to easily tap on screen should I want to stop navigation or whatever.
    Second one is in the middle, attached to the fan vent grill. Again, easy to reach position but requires taking eyes off the road so it's best when I just tap screen to answer a call.

In addition I bought two 90 degree angled micro usb connectors so the power cord goes straight backwards on both mounts instead of down.

and on my phones (iPhone 6s and 6s+), I use these cases: https://www.amazon.com/iPhone-Nillkin-Wireless-Charging-Receiver/dp/B016A67QKE
    Very slim, doesn't add much bulk and provides better grip overall.

Wireless charging car mount is like the best thing since sliced bread. You won't understand it before you try it.... :D

4. coktailmunky

coktailmunky Empty Pockets

I live by phone cases by Rokform. The reason being is their fairly slim, magnetic, and mainly due to they use a mount system that they made accessories for. For instance I use their car mount and also their mountain bike mount. And my phone just snaps into each one without taking it out of it's case. I'll post pics of mine and theirs from their site. And also the pricing is fair for what your getting.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Moshe ben David likes this.
  5. speedy

speedy Loaded Pockets

ProClip. It's the best phone holder I have ever used. No desire to get anything else.

6. landwire
    • In Omnia Paratus

landwire Loaded Pockets

Recently got a new to me car and my cup holder mount no longer worked. Ended up going with a Scosche Magic Mount. Been working great. I tried some imitation/generic type magnetic mounts and they were horrible. Scosche was the best.

7. egp

egp Empty Pockets

I use proclip in my pickup, the wife's Buick and in the semi. Hands down the best thing going, and they make a lot of different variants. Someone said above that they only make them for naked phones, that could not be further from the truth. My phone and my Ipod both are in Otterbox cases, I've had no problems getting an adjustable Proclip holder for them. Also, if you have a US Spec vehicle that has a counterpart in the another part of the world, Proclip might make a mount for that vehicle to help with other ideas. In my US Nissan Frontier, I have the US dash mount assembly for my cellphone and ipod cradle. I also found that the RHD Nissan Navarra sold in the rest of the world uses the same basic dash, I was able to tweak a RHD dash mount to make it work for the other side of my dash, and it hold both of my GPS units.

8. phatch

phatch Loaded Pockets

Finding one that works right in your car is tricky. I've tried a number of reputable ones and had problems just because they really didn't work with quirks of my car cabin, dash or vents. I've had decent success with the Exo-gear CD mount. Good location, generally firm mounting. In my Tacoma, I used some epoxy putty to thicken up the mount a bit as that CD slot is wider than usual.

9. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I think all of these permanent mounts sound great and very useful. Back when I travelled a lot, I needed a mount that was easy to move from car to car; relatively easy to pack for flights. I use an old school weighted base that has a smooth spot on top for a suction cup mount of a bracket. Been using it now about 10 years I guess...

The only time I ever had an issue with it was once when TSA noticed the dense object in my brief case and got EXTREMELY concerned about what it might be... Brief conversation ensued but they let it pass. Never any other issues.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

10. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

I've been thinking hard about getting one of these CD mounts. The wirecutter recommends a CD mount as the best mount for most people. I keep thinking, "What about if I want to play CDs?" After some honest evaluation, though, I realized I probably haven't used a CD player in better than five years...

The CD mounts are nice because they position your phone out of the way of vents and controls, but in a good location for quick viewing if using it for navigation. They are also very easy to move between vehicles.

11. Erzengel

Erzengel Loaded Pockets

Brodit https://www.brodit.com offers mounting plates and phone holders that can be installed in most cars without screws or glue. They just fit into the gaps of the dashboard. Therefore the mounting plate is always specific to one car model. They are on the expensive side, but they are very solid. They offer model specific phone holders and universal holders which are adjusted via screws. The holders are bolted onto the mounting plate and I recommend a universal holder, which are offered for different phone size ranges.

12. phatch

phatch Loaded Pockets

Interesting idea. Their location choices for my particular Tacoma are pretty bad. I lose my primary AC vent or it's oddly down low on the console at the passenger leg area.

13. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

I have been considering a Kuda dash mount for a while. They look stock and are supposed to be very stable. However, it is just an attachment point for a phone mount, not an actual mounting system. I probably need to stop considering it and just pull the trigger.

14. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I think Pro-Clip merely resells the Brodit system and the ones that I have gotten from them have the Brodit Label right on them.
    I have always wondered about this?

15. Erzengel

Erzengel Loaded Pockets

16. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Currently, I have cannibalized two phone mounts to make windshield-mounted bracket with a Qi-charging phone cradle. Unfortunately, it is too far forward on the dash for my tastes (I drive a Tundra).

According to Amazon, I should have a magnetic CD player mount in my mailbox at home. I intend to harvest the CD player bracket and make a Qi-charging CD player mount with parts of three different phone mounts. Hopefully this ends my quest...

17. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I figure the '-engr' part of your screen name can handle all this. ;)

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

18. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I use the Scoshe Magnetic mount in both of my Tundras and there are so many decent places to mont the base for easy access and readibility while driving that it is almost too easy really in a Tundy.
    The version of the base with the small pivot has been ideal for me in almost every car that try it in and the first thing I do with a new car is get a few of these bases and take care of it as my first mod!

I will try to get pics soon so it makes more sense.

19. YankeeHotelFoxtrot

YankeeHotelFoxtrot Loaded Pockets

based on the recommendations in this thread, I purchased and have just installed the ProClip mount and bracket in my new Q5. Installation was easy - I just had to decide if I the mount should be attached to the lower or upper end of the bracket. I tried the lower but it obscured too much. So I attached it to the bracket's upper edge. It looks great, like an actual part of the car, truth be told. The color happens to be spot on (a sort of grayish black/charcoal). I can't wait to use it during my daily commute. Now I just have to get a black lightning cable. The white doesn't look good in a black interior.

thanks for the recommendations!

20. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Do you use an adhesive mount, a vent clip, or a CD player bracket? I’m not impressed with the CD player bracket I just got and vent clips aren’t practical in the summer as I always have my A/C going full blast in the summer.

I look forward to seeing what you have done.