1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Car mount for a phone

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by Rutha73, Dec 15, 2017.

1. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I have been using the Scosche Magic Mount for a few years now and in 5 or so different cars and I am a believer!
    These could not be any more simple and so far I have had no issues at all and all of my friends ise them now too.

A simple metal plate sticks to the phone/case on the back and then you get the mount style you need for your application and the phone just sticks magnetically to the mount,no complications or adjustment required.

I have then in each car like I said and I also have a few different portable models that I take with me when I pick up cars for others and drive them somewhere else which I do several times a year too.

It is great as I NEVER just have the phone sitting on a seat waiting to be launched in a car that is not mineI like the vent mount best for this use but usually stick them on in my own rides.

Try them,it's Magic!

2. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

These shake somewhat with a tablet but not so much that you can't see the screen. You can also brace the device against the seat to avoid shaking.

3. assassin10000

assassin10000 Loaded Pockets

Since you have a phone capable of wireless charging, consider the iottie qi wireless charing mount.

I have the smaller older version for my S5 with wireless charging cover, but they now make a larger version which may fit the height of your phone better. It works great and I really like that it's one hand install/removal from the dock. They come with a silicon 'adhesive' ring around the suction cup which fills in rougher finishes and is washable/reusable. As well as an additional pad for use on softer surfaces.

4. littleme

littleme Loaded Pockets

+1 for the Ram x mount i use it in both the heli and plane at work havent had any problems with it. Been going solid for over a year whether i use the iphone or samsung in it and no troubles even at 14,000ft with pressure changes

5. celler

celler Loaded Pockets

As others have stated, RAM mounts offer the most options, stability, and modular interchangeability. You simply build your own setup the way you want it. Their windshield suction cup is second to none and that is just one of their many options. I have purchased from gpscity.com and have been very pleased with pricing and very fast shipping.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

6. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

Don't do this...

[​IMG]

Seriously. No.

7. bj warkentin

bj warkentin Loaded Pockets

Why not?Have done pretty much that except it was behind a larger fairing/windscreen. GPS is great for teeny tiny backroads only trips. Works better than having it flat in the map pouch of the tank bag.

8. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

I suppose if all you're using it for while riding is checking the GPS, it might be okay. The thought of anything involving interaction (the pushing of "buttons" and the like), especially while wearing gloves, makes me shudder. Takes too much attention away from what you're supposed to be doing, which is trying not to get killed.

echo victor likes this.
  9. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

The Ram Xgrip mounts are excellent
    I have the large phone mount, on a short arm and suction cup.

The Xgrip mount holds basically anything that fits - my iPhone 8+ in a big case, my old iPhone 5S, my Garmin Rino radio (that is actually a bit fiddly, because of the weird shape)
    and theres a bucketload of different mount options, all based on the Ram mount balls.
    you can get suction cups, Cup holder mounts, Screw or Bolt down balls, Posts that bolt to the seat base, even an inflatable board you wedge between the seat and centre console, Then long or short arms, or join multiple arms together to make a really long one.

I just need to convince my wife to fit one to her car. (and convince RAM to make a qi compatible one, so my phone automatically charges when its put in the cradle)

10. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • Sponsor - Home Craftsman
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

They make a mount for my car that is in just the right spot for me, so I’ve got one on the way. Thanks for the tip! My wife just got a new car and they don’t seem to make a mount that would work for her, so she’s probably going to keep using her old vent clip.

11. vadsoom

vadsoom Loaded Pockets

I’m also on board with ProClip. I’ve had them in half a dozen vehicles over the past dozen years and they are the most stable mounts I’ve used. They are a 2 piece system, the phone cradle and vehicle mount, bot the fit is impeccable.

If you’re looking for something a little less permanent, AirFrame makes a great holder that clips to the vehicle’s air vents. I typically use one when I’m in a rental car.

chaosmagnet likes this.
  12. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • Sponsor - Home Craftsman
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

I carry the Airframe mount in my laptop bag for rental cars. At my peak I was renting over fifty cars per year; that's gone way down but the mount is still excellent.

13. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I love and want to use Pro Clip but sadly they are only useful on naked phones and I always keep mine in a Shell.

That is why the Magnet mount works so well for me.

nolaradio likes this.
  14. aldo_vic_t

aldo_vic_t Loaded Pockets

Checkout SPIGEN, it has a CD Slot Magnetic Phone Holder. You get Two Flat Magnets with Adhesive to stick to the back of your phone, i have an Iphone 6+ encased in a Spigen Cellphone Case. I stuck the magnet to the Case. I was going to stick the 2nd magnet to the phone itself to get the double power of the magnets, i didn't need to use the 2nd one, one was sufficient for me. Been more that a year now, no problems encountered, and i like how my phone is centered on my dash. Now if you don't like your CD slot being used as a mount, Spigen has a model that clips on to the Aircon Vent.

15. sleestac

sleestac Loaded Pockets

Do you notice any issue with reception, signal, GPS with the magnetic mount? It may be a myth but I am curios if there is any effect.

16. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

No,Nuthin,Nada,Zip,Zero!

17. echo victor
    • +2 Supporter

echo victor Previously "YankeeHotelFoxtrot"

what do you guys recommend as the best mag mount? I wouldn't want a suction cup or air-vent holder

18. trldad

trldad Empty Pockets

I haven't used any of the other magnetic mounts but this one from NiteIze works great for me. Very slim and unobtrusive. They also make a vent mount, desk mount as well. They are all interchangeable and super simple to use. Just throw it up there and it sticks.
    [​IMG]

19. Scribble

Scribble Loaded Pockets

Anker makes one that similiars to that one from Nitelze and it is only like 20-30 and is a very strong magnet.

20. this_is_nascar

this_is_nascar Loaded Pockets

Look at one of the Ram mounts.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk