1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Car mount for a phone

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by Rutha73, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Rutha73

Rutha73 Loaded Pockets

Who has found a good solid car mount for their phone? I had a magnetic mount that goes on the vent for my last phone (Samsung S5) but my new phone (Note 8) is too heavy and has fallen off the mount when I hit small bumps. I would rather have one that doesn't attach to the vent as when the heater is on it blasts the phone with heat, and if I am charging it also it might get too hot. In the summer with A/C going I am not too worried about it. I am thinking that something that mounts to the dash would be best, I have had window suction cup mounts fall off in the summer Phoenix heat, so I would rather have something on the dash. My truck is pretty old so I wouldn't be opposed to something that screws in. What have you used and really liked?

2. lnytunes

lnytunes Loaded Pockets

I drive an older model Honda Accord that has a built-in CD player. This CD player mount the best thing that I've found. It blocks the screen a bit, but I can deal with it. I saw that they have a magnetic version of it as well if you prefer that.

Rutha73 likes this.
  3. landwire
    • In Omnia Paratus

landwire Loaded Pockets

I have a cup holder mount that I found at a thrift shop. For gps navigation, it was not all that great as I had to look down. For music control and calls, it was awesome. One option that is a little pricey, at least for me anyways, is a company called Ram Mounts. They make some solid stuff. A buddy of mine has been using them for years. Solid stuff.

jag-engr and Rutha73 like this.
  4. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I don't mount a phone but I do have an old Garmin GPS unit that I need to mount. Used to use a bracket that mounted to the vents. Some of the time heat blowing on the Garmin raised havoc. Other times AC blowing on it literally caused the GPS to 'freeze up' and I'd have to pull off the road to restart it.

Finally gave up on it when traveling and trying to hang on vents on a rental resulted if the GPS on the floor of the car.

For about 10 years now I use one of those free standing mounts that has a weighted block that just sits on the dash, with the bracket for the GPS suction cupped to the bracket (has a specific smooth spot for that, holds better there). No problems at all with it in the 10 years I've had it. Not sure where you can buy these now; I had bought mine at Radio Shack but they're history....

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Rutha73 likes this.
  5. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I just went on Amazon to see what they have. Plenty of suction cup styles, as well as those that clip to vents. Problem with most suction cup styles to mount on dash is that the dash materials are usually just not smooth enough to give good suction.

Here is one approach that looked interesting: https://amazon.com/Tsumbay-KKA92001-Simulating-Adjustable-Smartphone/dp/B06XXHHYRK/ref=sr_1_109?ie=UTF8&qid=1513432776&sr=8-109&keywords=car+mount

This is sort of the same idea as what I use but a bit larger; don't know what your dash is like: https://amazon.com/Garmin-Portable-Friction-Mount-Frustration/dp/B002OL2MU4/ref=sr_1_126?ie=UTF8&qid=1513433003&sr=8-126&keywords=car+mount

This is more like an updated version of what I use: https://amazon.com/Aonkey-Dashboard-Non-Slip-Cradles-Smartphone/dp/B074Z6GG6W/ref=sr_1_199?ie=UTF8&qid=1513433213&sr=8-199&keywords=car+mount

Amazon has like 20 pages of items listed; happy hunting!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Rutha73 likes this.
  6. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Loaded Pockets

Twist up your own with a piece kydex and then mount it wherever you like. I typically mount it directly to my center console with rivets or screws.

callforfire and Rutha73 like this.
  7. Rainy
    • In Omnia Paratus

Rainy Uber Prepared

Check out the RAM X-Grip. Those are absolutely great!

8. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

recklesstryg likes this.
  9. echo victor

echo victor Previously "YankeeHotelFoxtrot"

Hi Everyone,
    I've been using Quad Lock system for a few years now and have gotten my wife to do the same. QL makes motorcycle, bike, camera, hiking, etc solutions. What I have done is to purchase the individual male and female pieces. I've glued the male end on the dashboard and the female is glued to the cases of our iPhones. The female end is very low-profile. The only issue is that they only come in black. So, if your phone case color uniformity means a lot, that could be a problem. The 2 pieces mate via a quarter-turn, and I can orient the phone in either portrait or landscape mode. The connection is very solid and will not come loose. Plus, if you have a motorcycle mount, camera mount or an arm-band from QL, the phone can move from car, to motorcycle, to camera, to your arm. The company does make mounts for cars - they are of the suction-cup-to-the-windshield variety, but I prefer mounting an individual male connector to a convenient spot on the dash and in my case, it's close to my cigarette lighter socket and I use a 1ft lightning cable for charging it keeps everything neat.

The female end is called the Universal adapter ($15):

https://www.quadlockcase.com/products/universal-adapter?

and the male end is called the Adhesive Wall Mount ($20):

https://www.quadlockcase.com/products/quad-lock-st-adhesive-mount-twin-pack

both ends come with alcohol and adhesive packets. FYI - QL also carries "female"-end cases for popular smartphones - the adapter is built-into the case itself. I used this at one time but later wanted a different case, so I moved to the Universal Adapter.

I have found this to be a workable and easy-to-implement solution and I hope this suggestion helps you.

Please let me know what you think.

Last edited by YankeeHotelFoxtrot, Dec 17, 2017
    #9 echo victor, Dec 17, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  10. Diezel

Diezel Loaded Pockets

This works well for me[​IMG]

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

11. BillyFred

BillyFred Loaded Pockets

check out panavise. It gives you a no holes bored solid platform to start with:
    http://www.panavise.com/index.html?pageid=1&id1=30&--wosectionsdatarq=30&indashaction=--

12. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

When i first read this title i thought 'why would anyone want to mount their car to a phone, that's quite impractical and heavy'. Might need more coffee...

My phones lives in my bag and when i don't carry a bag it goes into the cars ash-tray so it doesn't poke me in my hips. I put some felt in there so the phone doesn't bounce around too much, bluetooth connection still works fine from down there. I have zero need to mount more crap to my cars dash nor do i feel the need to play with my phone while driving.

chaosmagnet and RoadWizard like this.
  13. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

The Ram Mount is a great option if you have the budget and can figure out how to attach it to your vehicle in a good location.

Other options (based on ideas that I have personally considered):
    • Kuda Mount (in conjunction with a holder) - expensive, but really classy
    • put a PopSocket on your phone and install the PopSocket Mount in your car
    I'm personally not a fan of magnetic holders (which can slide) or vent clips (which can cause condensation in a phone). If you have a CD player and don't use it, the CD player mounts aren't a bad idea.

14. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

Blackheart likes this.
  15. bj warkentin

bj warkentin Loaded Pockets

I have had large, heavy phones for a long time (Dell Streak, Note 3, Note 4) and after trying out a bunch of different types only use Ram Mounts. I currently am using a Ram X-Grip with the weighted base. It stays put on my truck dash, with no slipping or movement even on rough roads. Also transfers easily to wife's SUV for long trips. Best mount I have had, period.

Not the cheapest, but I buy my phones and see it as a cheap investment to keep my almost $1000 phone safe. Way better built than the cheap plastic crap mounts. Current mount has lived in my truck on the dash, in the sun, for 4 years. No sun damage as the majority of the mount is made out of metal, rather than plastic. The fabric cover of the weighted base is significantly sun faded.

Plus they are super configurable, long arm, short arm, suction base, weighted anti skid base, sticky mount, screw on mount, etc. You can customise a solution to put your device where you want it to be and it will stay there. Plus the mount moves to my motorcycle, with a different bar mount base. Can be used in landscape or portrait orientations. Works with the Otterbox Defender case (which makes a big phone even bigger).

chaosmagnet and jag-engr like this.
  16. calvinw

calvinw Loaded Pockets

ProClip FTW!

I was hesitant to spend ~$50 at first, but it’s worth it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

egp and chaosmagnet like this.
  17. Rutha73

Rutha73 Loaded Pockets

Thanks for all the ideas! Some of those are expensive! Those are really tempting though with how customizable they are. I am going to dive into them and look more thoroughly this weekend. Thanks for all the replies and help!

18. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

I still have the goose neck for my XM radio (no longer used) mounted on the passenger side of the center console of my truck. Just need a phone mount to adapt to the goose neck. Shouldn't be difficult. This seems to me to be the best sort of phone mount. Doesn't block air vents, doesn't rely on suction cups, makes phone easily visible.

One of these days, possibly soon, I'd like to get a 4G LTE enabled tablet and just leave it there.

Mudinyeri likes this.
  19. echo victor

echo victor Previously "YankeeHotelFoxtrot"

many goose-neck mounts noticeably shake/vibrate as the vehicle moves.

20. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

I must be lucky, never had this problem. Of course, it might of had something to do with the weight of the XM receiver.