1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Car kit.

Discussion in 'Travel' started by jda, Sep 21, 2011.

1. tonester

tonester Loaded Pockets

Awesome thread. I'm gonna be making a couple of car kits for the wife and I.

2. nw1911guy

nw1911guy Loaded Pockets

After reading this whole thread, I didn't once see where anyone asked what the vehicle was or what type of area it's typically used in. What I carry in my 37" tired Jeep TJ Wrangler and what I carry in my daily driver are 2 entirely separate lists. I mean we carry spare axle shafts and drive shafts for the Jeeps. We may as well have a chase truck for the Jeeps for that matter.

Also, as someone pointed out, if it's severe weather, AAA will be NO help. My uncle was stranded overnight on I5 in the snow a year or so ago, near a major city. Too dangerous to even get out of the vehicle and no one could get to him due to the abandoned cars around him.

3. jda

jda Loaded Pockets

see post #3. Its honestly just a daily driver. I don't realy go off-road intentionaly.

4. Dizos

Dizos Loaded Pockets

Heavy duty bolt cutters in case you have crossed the point of no return and the road is blocked by a chained gate.

5. Windex

Windex Loaded Pockets

First off, I havent read through the thread so I apologize if anything I say is a repeat. All of what I have below is in my GHB/car kit and purely my own opinion.

I would say add some socks, blister care, pair of boots or shoes you could walk a distance in.
    A fixed blade and saw, fire starting materials (tinder/ignitors).
    IMHO while the MRE's are great, I have some granola/protein bars, tuna pouches, and trail mix in my bag. I like the idea of being able to do things quickly if I need to.
    I would add a 2.5L-3L water bladder for easier drinking on the go and more efficient use of space in the bag.
    Seeing that you live in NY I know it can get weather can suck, I keep a mylar sleeping bag (space blanket) and a small tarp in case of rain. And lastly (for now) I would toss in a 100' hank of paracord.