1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Car kit.

Discussion in 'Travel' started by jda, Sep 21, 2011.

1. jda

jda Loaded Pockets

Started puting together a car kit / ghb.

So far I have...

FOOD/WATER

6 mres
    1 case of water(24 bottels)

Warmth/ heat

Comforter
    Jacket (hoodie and winter)
    liquid fuel lantern / fuel
    Gloves - work and winter

Car related (Stored in a 20mm ammo can)

Jumper cables
    Spare tire
    Extra fan belt
    extra lug nuts for wheels
    jack and tire tool

Fluids- windshield, antifreeze, oil, breakfluid, empty gas can.

First aid

quick clot
    benadril
    tylenol
    4''x4'' gauze
    isralie dressing
    burn gel
    ace bandage
    catt

misc

Surefire 6p, 12 spare battires.
    extra glasses (need for driving, my distance is horrable)

Anything else I should add, remove, other?

2. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Loaded Pockets

Any kind of tool kit? 3/8" ratchet to put your extra belt on? Jumper cables are nice and all but what if your by yourself? How about a jump box? Air compressor?

3. jda

jda Loaded Pockets

My reply in red

4. bladeblabber

bladeblabber Loaded Pockets

maybe a self defence option if you dont already have one on your person? i understand guns can be hard to travel with but maybe a taser or pepper spray?

5. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Loaded Pockets

Yeah sounds like your got it down pretty good already. More stuff then I carry.

6. jda

jda Loaded Pockets

Tasers are a felony in ny. Besides I'm 16 (17 in december), so some things will not be listed.

If I was to keep a firearm in the ghb it would be - a keltec sub2k, 100rds of 124grn gold dots, 3 preban 33rd mags, osoe sub-gun micro rig and a cleaning kit.

But that would be a personal choice based off risks vs benifets.

7. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

I also carry a snow shovel.

8. DrChimRichalds
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

DrChimRichalds Loaded Pockets

Some things you may want to consider adding- just off the top of my head:

Vise Grip pliers/Regular needle-nose pliers
    A few choice screwdrivers
    Socket wrenches w/ cockets (I believe you mentioned that you forgot to include this in your original post.)
    Hand wrenches? Or at least one adjustable one.
    Breaker Bar
    A wire coat hanger (I've suggested this in many threads like this. A wire coat hanger can prove to be an invaluable tool.)
    JB Weld (would be a life saver if your oil pan was punctured, etc.)
    Some kind of lubricant or grease (PB Blaster, for example)
    Multitool (unless you carry one on your person- doesn't hurt to have a spare though, even if it's a cheapo.)
    Spare folding knife and/or rescue knife
    Hammer(s) - I carry a rubber mallet and a generic carpenter's handle.
    A length of hose (you never know when you may have to syphon your gastank, or someone else's.)
    Ratchet straps/bungees
    Spare fuses
    A decent headlamp (I own three or four Princeton Tec headlamps, I keep two in my truck. Definitely recommend them...plus you can't beat hands-free lighting.)
    Road flares
    Air Compressor
    Bic Lighter

I also carry a few electrician's tools- Snips, Crimpers, and a wire stripper. With these tools I keep a small Plano box filled with various wiring odds and ends, which include various crimp-on terminals, switches, butt connectors, quick-splices, heat shrink, and a bunch of spare automotive wire.

If I can think of anything else, I'll add it to my list. Hope this helps/inspires!

9. jda

jda Loaded Pockets

I probably should have said in the orignal post that I do have a standard set of general purpose tools

Never would have thought of that.

Motor oil works well in my experiance.

I need another mt like I need another hole in my head, and I have a boker res-com(I think thats the name)

all substituted by a good mt

See comment on general tools

10. rocketdog

rocketdog Loaded Pockets

car kit

Tow strap. Fire extinguisher. Funnel (for all the fluids.)
    Some form of heat - tools to build a fire, or maybe a liquid fuel stove to go with the lantern. I got stranded in my car overnight in the VA mountains in January once. Luckily I had a down jacket, but I was miserable cold. This was long before cell phones were common.

Speaking of cell phones, I think having a backup battery is a good idea.

Of course, the most excellent car EDC item of all is a AAA membership.

11. vinniec5

vinniec5 Loaded Pockets

A quality tire plug kit like from blackjack with good plugs and a quality seperate 12volt compressor

Spare belt
    spare Maxi-fuses and check what size main Alternator fuse you have too not a bad idea to have a spare on hand
    correct Transmission/T-Case fluids and Axle Lubes Easy to rip a vent line from the axles offroading or snow climbing don't forget Allen/Hex socket for plugs on the T-case-Axle too

12. Prætorian ®

Prætorian ® Loaded Pockets

I think you'll be needing a bigger car after this thread is done lol :)

I guess I just have a few suggestions and a reminder.
    Suggestions:
    1. A bucket with cover, perhaps put some of those things in.
    2. A change of clothes.
    3. PPK (Nitrile gloves, Dust mask, and eye protection).

Reminder is one the MRE/other food you may have.
    Cars can get quite hot and spoils food faster (even packed ones, not just sure about it's effect on MRE's) and leaves water with a funny taste.
    Covering them up helps maintain lower temps.

Good luck, mate. And pictures if you have the time ;)

R

13. HybridMomentsPass

i really like this thread, like said above, by the time its done the kid will only have room for him, a passenger, and their bookbags for high school.

I know we all like being prepared, but some of you are, in my opinion, going a bit out there.
    Is he competing in the Dakar or driving around to teenage hotspots with his friends?

Here is my advice and what I do keep on me:
    -a cell phone
    -jumper cables, not so much for me, but to help others. Im not saying i've never needed them, but its so rare, I've used them more on others cars than my own
    -very small set of tools, just some basics like a couple sockets, wrenches, and bit set. The whole unit (craftsman kit) will easily fit under a cars seat. I have a second set that I picked up at sears or something that has some electrical tape, pliers, zipties, spare fuses etc. I do not expect to do too much with these on the side of the road, and thats good cause I dont want to work on the side of the road.
    -duct tape
    -one quart of oil, in case its burning a bit
    -car charger for cell phone

cars have a spare tire and jack, so that takes care of a puncture

I've never carried more than that and never really needed to. Yeah, I've had auto issues, but if it cant be fixed with the above then I dont want to mess with it on the side of the road. I'll pay the 50 bucks for a tow truck and do repairs in the comfort of my garage/driveway.

14. tgunderson
    • In Omnia Paratus

tgunderson Loaded Pockets

Just out of curiosity, is it safe to store a fire extinguisher sideways in a vehicle? I have heard both yes and no for this answer so I am a bit confused.

15. phaserrifle

phaserrifle Loaded Pockets

some kind of waterproofs. either a disposeable rain poncho, or a waterproof jacket and trousers.
    spare fuses and lightbulbs
    some kind of shovel, especially in winter. even if it's just one of the litte army surplus entrenching tools.

16. DaPro

DaPro Loaded Pockets

While the water is a great item to have on hand, it will freeze in the winter....so unless you pour some out of each bottle you could have a mess on your hands if you don't watch it, I would suggest a gallon or two and pour out a 1/4 of the water to give it room to expand.

Stubby snow shovel stays in my vehicle in the winter....INVALUABLE....along with a GI shovel
    Flares or check out the life gear flashlights (not the small sticks) that use AA batts, and have a red flasher mode....wife used mine while I was fixing a flat on a dirt road.
    Rescue Tape...Elec tape...duct tape

a pair of diagonal pliers to remove a nail, and then stick it with a plug then air it back up beats the hell out of changing a flat on the side of a road anyday.

And I will add that I have never before had two flats at once in my 13 years of driving until a week or so ago, went out to the range and managed to pop both passenger tires...took me ten minutes (small air compressor is slow) to plug both tires and hit the road....I would save the spare for a blow out or a puncture larger then a plug.

17. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

Bag of sand or kitty litter for getting unstuck in winter. Sand for when you want the extra weight, kitty litter if you don't. The litter is also great for picking up spilled oil.

18. Kripto

Kripto Evil Sid

The interesting thing I note from all of the responses here is a lack of creativity! For example, you don't need a funnel, it only takes up space. Instead keep some paper in the car. You can roll up a sheet and make a funnel. You can also use the paper to write notes on :) (or more importantly a note in the car letting people know who might be looking for you where you went.)

For waterproofs, why not carry some trash bags? You might even be able to find them in Orange. That way you just cut a hole in the top and make a poncho, or you can use them to, oh I dunno, throw some of the extra trash away. :) (dispose of the body? ;) )

All kidding aside, I'm for keeping it simple! The more you load your car down with *like yourself!* you will end up wasting money in fuel costs. Pack as little as you need to get the job done. Don't over stuff the trunk and over pack.

19. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

While this is a very good point (especially the extra fuel thing), allow me to mention that I put together virtually everything mentioned in this thread (as a Christmas present for a friend) and it all fit in a medium sized storage/tote bin from the hardware store.

That's a tool bag, fire extinguisher, bag o' kitty litter, 2 wool blankets, jumper cables, warning triangles, first aid kit, flashlight, gloves, shop towels, shovel (collapsible), tow strap, gas can (collapsible), rope, and a bunch of other stuff. Everything except a gallon of washer fluid. No compressor, either (can of Fix-a-Flat). The bin weighs somewhere around 25-30 pounds (I can easily pick it up and move it around). The bin itself was just a place to store the stuff, it may or may not actually go in the vehicle. The fire extinguisher gets mounted. Gloves, FAK, and flashlight go in the glove compartment. Etc.

Just sayin' that you don't have to fill up your trunk or cargo area to be pretty well prepared.

20. DaPro

DaPro Loaded Pockets

I have a 16" tool bag in the back that keeps everything I carry except for the water and tarp. Check out the space under your seats, a small tool kit, jumper cables and compressor fit perfectly under seats in my wifes rendezvous (huge cargo area).

Obviously you need to plan your kit according to the weather and events (trips).

As crazy as it sound I have seen people on other forums talk about ditching their spare and jack for the space because they live in large cities and have AAA a phone call away....:shocked:....I have roadside on my insurance, maybe one day I will get a chance to use it, until that day no flat will strand me

Just found these....itzagascan...pretty neat idea..$11.95 is a bit much, but its better then lugging a can around in a car.
    [​IMG]