1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Car kit

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by BrendanH, Dec 6, 2015.

1. stepewolf

stepewolf Loaded Pockets

Well since you are preparing for floods you should think of a way to waterproof your gear. Maybe you should invest in a vacuum sealer and pack everything you want to keep dry in vacuum bags. Also since flood water must be considered contaminated it will keep everything safe to use. If the flood is bad enough to make your house inhabitable then your car would be flooded too unless off course you keep your car at the top of a hill.

keith1234 likes this.
  2. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

I'd rather have a full sized handle one too,.....there's no way that I could have carried it that day though, I were actually in a hire van for work that day, I could fit that folding shovel in my work bag with my lunch etc

adnj and keith1234 like this.
  3. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

Just remember; most tire shops who remove the tire from the rim to fix a flat will refuse to repair a tire with this stuff inside it. Doesn't matter so much anymore because most places plug the tire from outside (which is an inferior fix), but if you do have a tire guy who does it the right way (by patching from the inside), this is a good way to get him cussing at you.

4. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

Tire sealant kits are replacing spare tires and are available from many OEMs. Here's an excerpt from Auto news in 2012:

Automakers would love to shed the weight, cost and bulk of full-sized or mini spare tires, and it's starting to look like they've found a preferred alternative: tire repair kits.
    According to Edmunds.com, 70 car models sold in the United States in the 2012 model year had tire repair kits, up from 23 in 2009.
    "It's getting harder and harder for automakers to meet fuel economy regulations," says Ronald Montoya, an editor at Edmunds.com. "They are doing everything they can to take weight out of the car, and the spare tire is one of the easier targets."

5. chmsam

chmsam Loaded Pockets

If a can of whatever was used on a tire, when ya take it into the shop, TELL 'EM FIRST! Nobody likes nasty surprises.

I went to the vet with some friends. They always say I'm a sick puppy.

ran23 likes this.
  6. karandras

karandras Loaded Pockets

Must be a USA thing, over here in the UK they've never had a problem with it. Also all the places i've ever taken a tire to be repaired at ALWAYS remove it from the wheel.

But as chmsam, says it's always a good idea to tell them before they start doing the work! Especially as it looks like over the pond, you may have issues getting the tyre fixed if you use it.

chmsam likes this.