1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Car GPS units

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by Sharpdogs, May 11, 2008.

1. protaganis

protaganis Loaded Pockets

Check out MIO, well designed, good solid mapsets. All come with the SIRF star 3 antenna and the full ability to use it. You're able to do a search based on address and coordinates. POIs can be sought out using current location or destination, routing based on fastest, shortest or economy (measures time vs. distance uses best combo of the two). Software platform is based on Windows CE, much more reliable than either TomTom or Garmin OS.

2. Sberk1

Sberk1 Loaded Pockets

Car GPS units

Another vote for Garmin. A US company. The customer service guys do a great job too.

3. jtice

jtice Loaded Pockets

I have had 3 Garmin handheld units, they have all been great, but just werent cutting it for the vehicle.
    Screens are too small, and a bit hard to use while driving.

I have a Garmin Nuvi 750W in the Jeep now, and its fantastic !

~John

4. coloradogps

coloradogps Loaded Pockets

There are basically three choices:

#1 - Garmin
    #2 - Garmin
    #3 - Garmin

:laugh:

5. cadjak

cadjak Empty Pockets

I started out my car GPS unit using a Dell Axim X30H, bluetooth, 624mhz PDA. I was able to choose from different navigation software and chose Iguidance. I paired the unit with a bluetooth GPS with the best signal grabbing strength (iBlue 737 w/MTK chipset). It has been a winner from day one! The easiest interface that I have seen. Very intuitive. (meaning a klutz like me finds it a breeze). I already had the PDA so adding a $50 GPS receiver and $80 software and I was good to go.
    Advantages: can choose and/or change my own navigation software
    can add topos for hiking
    can upgrade the GPS receiver as technology changes
    PDA lets me bowse the net at hot spots
    Can use outside vehicle for geocaching
    Disadvantages:
    Speakers not loud enough unless I route them thru my car speakers
    After 4 years of use my favorite software is discontinuing support for WM 2003 SE

It was a great entry to the GPS world. Having said that, I just bought a Garmin Streetpilot C550.
    Reasons:
    Better speakers than the Garmin Nuvi Line.
    Better implementation of Bluetooth than the NUVI (allows me to actually hear a phone conversation while driving)
    Uses the latest Navteq maps not TeleAtlas.
    Will allow me to add custom POI (I need my Starbucks)
    Garmin customer service and access to a world of folks that use the same software for support.

The Magellans had a better speaker than the Garmin NUVI but the C550 is close.

:luck:

6. Junior03

Junior03 Loaded Pockets

A lot of good advice here on this page...Personally I think you can't go wrong with either a tomtom or garmin.....

7. LLCoolBeans

LLCoolBeans Empty Pockets

I'm angry with my Garmin, of course I don't know if the others are better. Recently took a road trip to Colorado, on the way back Garmin took it upon itselft to take us on what looked like a short cut, but in reality it added 45+ minutes to our arrival time. It took us on this insane, twisty, cliff sided mountain pass at 1:00 am. It was scary as heck especially since it was the middle of the night and we had already been on the road for 14 hours or so. I was not happy. :rant: Had garmin set to fastest time NOT shortest distance and just updated the software before the trip.

Because of that little experience, I would think twice before purchasing another Garmin unit.

8. DigitalAlan

DigitalAlan Loaded Pockets

I am seriously looking at this GPS - Getting some very good reviews - Heard about this from Leo Laport and Jason Calacanis - It is the DASH GPS - www.dash.net

This has a built in cell phone / WIFI to get traffic updates instead of using FM Radio - Which is using live data from GPS enabled trucks and other dash devices.

Plus it can connect to the internet to get yahoo info and gas prices and other applications that are made for this.

No I am not paid for them but this unit looks to be a killer GPS. I want to get my hands on one.

The price is not too bad - $299 and 3 months of data - and only $99 a year for full updates and connectivity.

Considering a friend had the NUVI - and had to pay $79 to get his maps updated - this is a very similar price and you get the internet with it. :) to get traffic and info updates and system updates as well.

I understand you can just purchase a month at a time and do the updates that you need and then don't reconnect until you need it. But I would love the updated traffic.

Plus it also learns from how you drive and locations you prefer and works with you not against you and tell you to turn around.

Just my two cents.

9. tipubuta

tipubuta Empty Pockets

So which garmin has the best and balanced features to price? I am in the midst of getting one but an confused as Garmin have many models to chose from.

10. mechman77

mechman77 Empty Pockets

really depends on what YOU want out of your GPS.

I have a nuvi 200 and am completely satisfied. Then again, I don't need all of the extra features. I'm perfectly happy with "turn left in 500ft" instead of "turn on A st. in 500 ft". The only reason for this being that the street name is listed on the top of the GPS screen anyway.

But like I said, its what YOU want. No matter which nuvi you choose, you won't be disappointed.

11. tipubuta

tipubuta Empty Pockets

Yes you have a point there. Cheers. I think the 200W looks promising at this juncture.

12. Solscud007

Solscud007 Empty Pockets

This might be a local promotion but I just bought a TomTom ONE XL for $110 at Toys R US.

TRU is having a clearance blowout on GPS units. I think the retail was around $300. So the clearance price was $151.98. Now on top of this TRU is having an additional clearance of 20% for any clearance item ending in an "8" or "0"

I lucked out. Apparently the $151.98 was the final mark down. but due to poor signage, there was NOTHING that hinted at this, I found out afterwards when i went to another TRU.

So I brought up the add'l 20% off promotion to the clerk and after a little bit of debating with the supervisor, they marked it down. Now im not sure what happened but the supervisor was spendinga LOT of time trying to punch in the add'l 20% off and not succeeding. In the end it should have been $121 but It was $110 with tax.

Foolish supervisors and their sub-standard math skills.

13. ScottAW

ScottAW Loaded Pockets

Garmin has worked for me on many a trip....magellan has done nothing but take me HOURS out of the way.

14. ohmygoat

ohmygoat Empty Pockets

Been looking at these things for a while and finally decided on a basic Garmin (didn't need Bluetooth, traffic info receiver, music player, etc). Took a while to decipher the numerous models and features and after a bit of research finally decided on a 260W. Had a $50 gift certificate with Amazon, caught one of their (infamous?) slight price dips (why does shopping from Amazon have to be like playing the stock market?) and got it for $202 shipped. It does everything I need for my casual requirements but naturally right after ordering and bit more research, I discovered Garmin is in the process of rolling out an updated 2X5 (why Garmin feels it's necessary to give "newer" models a lower numerical designation is beyond me, but oh well...) series with faster processors, an interface tweak and the obligatory traffic receiver capability. Such is the nature of the technology. Had I figured this out earlier, I probably would have gotten a 255W but I decided to keep the 260W since it seems to be plenty "fast" and the battery life is rated slightly longer than the "new" models.

Being in CA where windshield mounts are taboo (don't like things blocking my view anyway), and didn't really like the beanbag mounts, I got a A/C vent clip mount which sees to work well enough. All in all, a nice little gadget to have.

15. subrosa

subrosa Loaded Pockets

I am still hooked on the "connected" GPS concept so I can grab reviews, gas prices and movie times. I have a DASH and love it (course I might work there....which is another matter :evilgrin:)

16. Sharpdogs

Sharpdogs Uber Prepared

I never posted what I picked up. Since I had so many credit card points I was able to get it for free. I got the Magellan Maestro. I love it. I have used it on several trips with no complaints.

17. willofgod

willofgod Empty Pockets

I use my Instinct

18. Coolio

Coolio Loaded Pockets

I just got the Garmin 760. I would definitely get a Garmin. The reviews I've read while researching the 760 and GPSs in general as well as my personal experience with TomTom and Magellan leads me to believe Garmin is top dog. Garmin and Magellan use NavTeq satellites while TomTom uses TeleAtlas. NavTeq is superior. Google Maps uses NavTeq. Navteq with the 760's routing engine (software) and SiRF Star III receiver makes for a GPS that routes/re-routes faster and more accurately than TomToms similar level unit and a bit better than the Magellan. It consistently selects the sorter and faster routes plus it often routes it so your destination end up on the right side. To me, Garmin is the clear choice and the 760 I highly recommend.

19. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

NavTeq and TeleAtlas refer to the map sources, not the satellites.

20. Rémy

Rémy Empty Pockets

I'm using a TomTom Go 510 for several reasons:

I live in europe and map sources (TeleAtlas) with TomTom is far better here (other way round in the US).
    Very simple to use, no eye popping gimmicks... I'm an ambulance driver and use it there too. In such a stressfull environmet you have to have a very clean looking GPS unit.
    It's very reliable.