1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Car Escape Tools

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by Myth90045, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Myth90045

Myth90045 Loaded Pockets

Hi All,

I was wondering if I could see your / any car escape tools.

I saw the Leatherman Z-Rex online and thought that was cool.

I have my eyes set on one of the Benchmade Strap / clothing cutters.

I do have this:
    ResQMe Car Escape Tool

2. toemke

toemke Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]
    This was a while ago, since then I gave the Böker away (the black one), got a Benchmade 7 Hook from a friend and modified my Victorinox, which is the one I use professionally.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

keith1234 and Myth90045 like this.
  3. 62Tele

62Tele Loaded Pockets

I have the Benchmade Houdini and 915, and we have a couple of the smaller Houdini things in one of the cars. I really like the 915 as a utility tool, and couldn't recommend it more, but I would worry about my daughters using it in a panic (opening the knife instead of thenseatbelt cutter etc). Great design on this one.

The larger Houdini seems like the best option for most folks since its just a dedicated seatbelt cutter and spring loaded window breaker that doesn't require a "swing" to break a window if somebody is hurt. The little LED light is unfortunately crap so consider it a write-off. The smaller version is OK, but it can break easily at the keychain attachment. Not a bad thing at all to leave in a glove box or back seat pocket though.

Myth90045 likes this.
  4. twoisone
    • In Omnia Paratus

twoisone EDC Junkie!!!

I'm with you on the ResQMe tool and have them zip-tied to the signal turn arms so you can get them now.

[​IMG]

5. kirbysdl
    • In Omnia Paratus

kirbysdl Loaded Pockets

I've got a Houdini in the car, and a ResQMe on the EDC bag (for when I'm in others' cars).

The zip-tie thing is pretty ingenious despite being obvious. I was wondering how I could mount my Houdini on my car's dash somehow. I was thinking industrial velcro, but zip-ties might be the better answer. The weight of the Houdini would mean I'd want to attach it somewhere else though.

MedicInTraining likes this.
  6. patrat

patrat Loaded Pockets

Nice mod for the corolla/matrix!

7. killroy360
    • In Omnia Paratus

killroy360 Loaded Pockets

i keep a camillus carnivore and a Swiss army one handed trekkor in the truck. but id really like a benchmade web cutter.

8. UrbanWarrior

UrbanWarrior Loaded Pockets

My wife and I have these. We had them for about 5 to 6 years now. When we first got them I tested the window punch on a few beer bottles and it shattered instantly. (I broke the bottles while being inside a plastic bag which was tied for safety. So I pushed the tool unto the bottles from the outside of the plastic bag). (Shown next to a BIC pen for size comparison only).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

While it will probably work just fine, keep in mind that the glass used for food/beverage containers is not the same as auto safety glass.

(and the safety glass used in auto side and rear windows is not the same as the windshield)

10. ac7ss
    • In Omnia Paratus

ac7ss Loaded Pockets

The striking punches will not work with laminated glass. (OK, they will break it, but you still have to cut the plastic.) but tempered glass just disappears! :)

This is my car key set:
    [​IMG]

11. UrbanWarrior

UrbanWarrior Loaded Pockets

Yeah I know Blackheart but I sure wasn't going to test it on my car. :)

12. Plinkman

Plinkman Empty Pockets

I picked up a couple ResQME tools form my wife and myself. I hope I never get to find out how well it works :).
    I've had my eye on a Benchmade 915 for awhile.

13. ItsHardToKnow

ItsHardToKnow Loaded Pockets

really cool idea! its not in your pocket, not on or in a bag, its very handy for when an accident occurs - great thinking!

Myth90045 likes this.
  14. MangeD700
    • In Omnia Paratus

MangeD700 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I got one of those in a carabiner on my belt, always..

15. Enkidu
    • In Omnia Paratus

Enkidu Loaded Pockets

Getting out of the car is only half the problem in some instances.

If you get under water for example, the last thing you will want to do is smashing the window, I'm aware a car isn't submerged right away, but you need SOME time to recover from the impact (both physical and mental) most probably, and cut your and your passengers seatbelts loose, puncture airbag(s), grab important stuff.

You /they MIGHT get stuck, because your/their shoelaces/trousers/coats/scarfs float UP in the water (which has entered your car), entangling on things it normally wouldn't...

All this can take enough time to submerge your vehicle fully, so you really want to hold on to that precious air bubble inside the car (unless you drive a cabrio) as long as possible to make sure you can exit it without any entanglements.

OR;

For the price($160-$300, depending on model and where you buy it) of a nice piece of gear/ one weekend out with the boys-girls or w/e,

you could also buy a spare air scuba tank system,(If you do, make sure to buy the refill adaptor as well)
    They have the size of a cola bottle and hold about 50 breaths
    (I went "overboard" and bought 3 on the evilbay about years ago (2 in the house, 1 in the car, but where I live it's 12 meters below sealevel, and I travel along waters daily)

(Google "submersible systems" for example) they can also be used to get out of fires/fumes etc. etc.

Better have and don't need, then need and don't have, right?

Fukurai likes this.
  16. Fukurai
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fukurai EDC Junkie!!!!!

That's interesting. How long do they last? and where do you put them? I'm really considering getting then one or two for the family car just in case.

17. Enkidu
    • In Omnia Paratus

Enkidu Loaded Pockets

2 - 5 minutes, depending how fast you are breathing, if you stay calm / have a good condition, you can stay under water for at least 15 minutes.

If you mean how long the units themselves last, well, if you maintain them properly, they last years, they advice to inspect them each year, and have them tested each 5 years.

The one in my car is holded with 2 "C" clamps under the glove compartment, the 2 in the house are hanging underneath my FAK/B.O.B/S.H.T.F gear in the hallway.

Fukurai likes this.
  18. zeppo
    • In Omnia Paratus

zeppo Banned

I have one of these mounted in the footwell:

[​IMG]

and one of these in the glovebox:

[​IMG]

Fukurai, Ludwell01 and Vesp like this.
  19. gnarus8429

gnarus8429 Loaded Pockets

I go withe the blackhawk hawkhook pictured above and can be found here:

http://www.amazon.com/Blackhawk-Blades-Knife-HawkHook-Rescue/dp/B001DZT7OQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1363257142&sr=8-3&keywords=HawkHook

I give them as gifts to anyone going over seas and keep one clipped to the outside of my EDC backpack. The design is innovative and will go through a seat belt or other webbing more reliably that a razor in a piece of plastic. It is easier to hold on to and can apply more leverage. It should also be noted that vehicles are mandated to go to a laminated glass on side windows in the next few years (no more shattering into little pieces). Once that happens and the tempered glass is no longer standard they will be much more difficult to break with any small tool. Windshield are already made this way. I would like to see the impact a spring loaded center punch tool would have on a windshield.

Last edited by gnarus8429, Mar 14, 2013
  20. Fukurai
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fukurai EDC Junkie!!!!!

So it's more or less similar maintenance as normal SCUBA equipment. Sounds pretty interesting.