1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Cant decide. :)

Discussion in 'Knives' started by plague112, May 19, 2016.

1. RAMBOCAT

RAMBOCAT Loaded Pockets

"Adahn, post: 2564322, member: 47047"]For a gentleman's knife it's safe enough, for tough jobs a fixed is the best choice anyways.[/quote]

I try to avoid carrying a folding knife at all costs. As Ethan Becker once said " a folding knife is just a fixed blade that is already broken.....". My go to small knife has always been an ESEE IZULA worn as a neck knife 24/7/365. Had i known you wanted a "gentleman"s knife", I would have suggested a nice little Case pocket knife without a lock.

Adahn likes this.
  2. Telstar

Telstar Loaded Pockets

Get the 940... its got panache

plague112 likes this.
  3. plague112

plague112 Loaded Pockets

I'd never given carrying a fixed as an every day carry but I do hear good thing about the izula. Maybe I should give that a try. I do live in New Jersey so carrying any type of knife is some sort of legal risk haha. But I disregard that nonsense. I'm sure I can come up with a reason that would make it legal, such as a work knife...

Also I don't think I'd ever carry a knife for "gentleman" reasons what ever that may be. Always a tool, never for jewelry. For me at least. :p

Dull edge

RAMBOCAT likes this.
  4. RAMBOCAT

RAMBOCAT Loaded Pockets

I apologize if my answer was rude or aggressive. I did not mean it to be; it's just that I have very strong opinions about folding vs. fixed blades.

5. plague112

plague112 Loaded Pockets

Oh not at all. I'm going to give it a try. I appreciate your and everyone's opinions :)

6. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

I try to avoid carrying a folding knife at all costs. As Ethan Becker once said " a folding knife is just a fixed blade that is already broken.....". My go to small knife has always been an ESEE IZULA worn as a neck knife 24/7/365. Had i known you wanted a "gentleman"s knife", I would have suggested a nice little Case pocket knife without a lock.[/quote]
    Oh, you can call it gent's knife or urban edc, it doesn't matter. For me knives are for cutting and yes, I want a folder to lock, slipjoints are not really what I like, but if it's a lockback, a frame/liner lock or a button lock doesn't matter to me, if that's not enough it's the wrong tool for the job. You wanna do batoning (I don't do bushcrafting anyways) get yurself a fixed knife or better a hatchet or a (folding) saw.

7. pumpmaster

pumpmaster Loaded Pockets

After the rave reviews about mini-grips on this forum I ordered myself one with an S30V blade. When it arrived I was...underwhelmed to say the least. While it was assembled well, it felt cheap in the hand and the handle was too short for me. I couldn't function the axis lock one handed and struggled to even open the blade without feeling as though I was going to lose my grip on the knife. Up for sale it went and my search continued. Where I've ended up is with a Spyderco PM2. By far the best one handed opening/closing knife I've ever owned. The handle allows a full handed grip and with the addition of a deep carry pocket clip it surprisingly rides very well in a front pocket for what initially seems like a larger knife. The lock mechanism not only functions beautifully, but it provides that satisfying "fiddle factor" when necessary. On days that I want/need something a little more "gentlemanly", a Spyderco Sage 1 has proven to be excellent. Perfect factory clip, excellent fit and finish and a great size/blade shape that balances usefulness with "un-scary-ness" in those situations we all find ourselves in.
    Anyways, hope that helps with your search.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

plague112 likes this.
  8. plague112

plague112 Loaded Pockets

i found the same to be true with the mini grip for me as well, a bit short and the handle feels kinda cheap. so i actually just ordered the pm2. i couldn't bring my self to spend the cash on the 940 or the g10 20cv griptilian. so i will be receiving it soon and I'm hoping its a better fit for me than the mini grip. fingers crossed.
    I'm sure ill buy the osborne or the griptilian some time down the road but i figure ill give spyderco a try for now.

9. litework

litework Loaded Pockets

The PM2 is a highly regarded EDC knife and I think you'll be happy with the handle. I have one and it carries very comfortably. The Benchmade 940 is on my short list, but I think you did good with the para2.

plague112 likes this.