1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Cannae Legion Daypack (?)

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by LaVillaStrangiato11, Jan 21, 2017.

1. LaVillaStrangiato11

LaVillaStrangiato11 Loaded Pockets

I just read a post with someone saying how he really wants a Cannae Legion...so out of curiosity that made me youtube a review of it and I must say it looks really nice (especially for the price - $99 from their own site).

Anyone with experience with these packs being used on hikes? Comfortable? Durable? etc,,,?

Who knows? Might get thrown into the race with the Antero, Goruck, or Dragon Egg MKII.

Thanks !

P.S. I am also a huge fan of Roman history and mythology and studied Latin for 4+ years in school. So the background history behind the name is really a big thing for me. haha :)

Last edited by LaVillaStrangiato11, Jan 21, 2017
    #1 LaVillaStrangiato11, Jan 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  2. Captainkirk

Captainkirk Loaded Pockets

Maybe if you are from Carthage, I don't think many in the "legion(s)" made it home after that battle, regardless of their gear. ;)

PS your username is one of my favorite instrumentals. I saw Rush live back in the 80s and 90s.

3. dischu

dischu Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

I have the Cannae Pro Gear Legion Day Pack since November. It was not easy to get in Germany and normally it costs about EUR 150,00 but there was an offer for 100,00 EUR so I could not resist.
    I made a short review for a German forum. It´s not easy for me to translate it in english and the photos aren´t very good. Dark backpack, dark floor, old camera. Sorry for that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cannae Pro Gear logo on the front.

[​IMG]

Material CORDURA nylon.

[​IMG]

Good quality buckles from Duraflex and the long straps are fixed with velcro keepers. I like that so much I have copied it for my other backpacks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

YKK Zippers with nice zipper pulls.

[​IMG]

On the front there is a soft padded case for sunglasses or you can use if for your smartphone also.
    Because I am wearer of glasses I really like that but for safety reason I always use an additional hard case for my glasses.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Front compartment with a little bit organisation and velcro on the outside.
    There is a small hole for the wires of earphones or a headset.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The side compartments are flat but with a flexible strap so also a 1 liter Nalgene bottle fits. It depends a little bit how much is in the main compartment. Both sides of the backpack are equal.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The shoulder belts are nice padded. The chest strap can be adjusted in the height what I really like. It got a whistle. I know this feature from the Tasmanian Tiger backbacks.
    There is a hip belt but I don´t use it because I am very tall and it´s not at the correct position. But that´s not the problem of the backpack, it´s because of my body height. I have this problem with all smaller backpacks.
    But for a backpack with 21 liter volume you don´t need a hip belt in my opinion.

[​IMG]

The bottom is made out of a kind of rubber or synthetic leather (?) with a drain hole.
    Two straps to fix additional equipment.

[​IMG]

The handle on top and another d-ring. Altogether there are five of this d-rings at the backpack.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There is a flat compartment at the back. This can be used for a hydration bladder.
    It is lockable and there is velcro inside for pouches for example.
    This velcro inside is not as durable as the patch panel at the outside but it works.
    I don´t have such velcro pouches yet so I used a patch for demonstration.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this feature I like most on the Cannae Pro Gear Legion Day Pack. The zippers have this "L-form". So I can open the backpack just a little bit like a top loader to have access to the main compartment or I can open it completely to have full access. I really love that.

[​IMG]

In the main compartment there are two straps to fasten stuff like replacement clothing. The used buckles are not as good as the others.
    Below there is a compartment for a notebook. My big HP Elite Book don´t fit but Mac Books should fit.
    Again you can add velcro pouches at the inner sides of the backpack.

[​IMG]

On the inner side to the cover you can see the back side of the handle and the compartment for the glasses. There is another mesh compartment.

[​IMG]

And it´s made in China.

There is a nice video available on YouTube I like to show also.
    Maybe it´s commercial and not an independent review. I don´t know.

Would I buy it again? Yes, at once!

4. LaVillaStrangiato11

Haha that's true.

And thanks. I love Rush! Was unable to get to a concert so that makes me sad. One of those things in life I'm gonna talk about regretting. I just couldn't go with things going on in my life :(

Next time they're in my area I'm going. Apparently Getty said Neil didn't really "retire." Lol. So there's still hope...

5. LaVillaStrangiato11

Thanks for the review dischu!

I think I have it between the Cannae Legion vs. Kifaru Antero vs. MR ASAP

I just wish the Antero had a velcro patch right there in the middle. Aargh

6. JT2V

JT2V Loaded Pockets

I bought it on sale last summer, took it on a camping trip and a couple months tour as main EDC. It's a pack that is very adept at a wide range of activities. Just enough organization to make it a great EDC bag, but not so much that it qualifies for me as my main edc since i require tons of organization (electronics nut here). Overall i think its a more compact, streamlined alternative to say a Rush 24.

LaVillaStrangiato11 likes this.
  7. eira

eira Loaded Pockets

been using this bag for 2 weeks, imo the quality is still below rush 12,
    the velcro in the main compartment is really weak, my pouch barely stick there.
    the net compartment felt cheap.
    zipper is ykk small one.
    fatal design with the compression strap and handle strap. all the weight of the bag will be on the zipper just wait until it bust open.

i kept coming back using rush 12 as my main edc bag.
    i also own ibex 20 but it felt smaller then rush 12
    really wish vanquest make better improvement for the ibex 20.
    build quality vs price. vanquest is the real deal.

#7 eira, Feb 1, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  8. Myrddraal

Myrddraal Loaded Pockets

Agreed about the handle. It really should have been placed behind the zipper. I cringe when I pick mine up by it.

9. sarxsvt

sarxsvt Loaded Pockets

Ended up ordering one of these for ~$85 on sale online. I figure I'll check it out for a few days and if I don't like it ... free returns.

10. sarxsvt

sarxsvt Loaded Pockets

So checked this out for a couple days.

Good:
    Construction seems really well done. Couldn't find any bad or loose stitching and I looked it over fairly thoroughly.

Really like the zip design, I know there was some concern about the placement of the handle and the compression straps. I totally understand the concern, but as someone who isn't going to load this pack to bursting capacity, I absolutely love the fact that the compression straps don't get in the way of the zipper when you want to unzip the bag. This normally makes me search for backpacks that don't have compression straps for daily use. I HATE having to unclip/undo things just to get into my day pack.

Clam shell zip design is awesome!

Front admin pocket design was nice and its a beefy pocket.

Laptop pocket was nice, it had enough padding for me to feel like it would be safe, but it didn't dominate the pack when pulled flat or waste a lot of space like some other laptop compartments i've had.

Bad:
    Glasses pocket to me is a complete waste of space. Only the edges of it are reinforced, the actual pocket itself is still just "free" inside your pack, so if you've got something like a book, or a large laptop its very likely if you lay the pack facedown or in an awkward way that you would still destroy your glasses. Also the glasses pocket basically caused them to waste space on the inside. Without it they could have added more internal organization, or with a "normal" front pocket there.

The way the handle is sewn and double reinforced inside is good, but they wasted space where a pocket could have been there internally again or like the Vertx design with the horizontal slots, which would be awesome because you could partially unzip the top of the bag and flip it open and have access to a pocket or possibly a light and a knife/pen, etc.

Padded portion of the shoulder straps are short. REALLY SHORT. Coupled with the fact that I have a long torso this would have been a nightmare to use.

Unsure:
    I didn't check out the "tackyness" of the loop field inside the pack. I don't really have or use any velcro accessories. it was a bit loose on the side panels, so I could definitely see that causing some issues if you want to put things there.

Pack felt really small for 19.5" x 11.5". My measurements which should definitely not be used as an authority had the pack at more like 18.5" inches tall.

The fit basically decided the issue for me and I'm returning it today. I think I'm going to try the Vertx Gamut next.

11. KDOG08

KDOG08 Loaded Pockets

Well I just ordered a coyote Legion. So I'll get to see it for myself....

Trickster and Bwana1 like this.
  12. KDOG08

KDOG08 Loaded Pockets

Already got the shipping info....should be here the 16th. Now the impatient wait and stalking of the FedEx driver....

sarxsvt and Bwana1 like this.
  13. KDOG08

KDOG08 Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

Well I got a double shipment today lol. Ill post a review tomorrow. And probably a youtube review as well.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Krellh, dischu and Trickster like this.
  14. KDOG08

KDOG08 Loaded Pockets

Ok heres my youtube overview of the bag. Nothing special.
    I forgot to mention the bottom straps and whistle lol.

sarxsvt likes this.
  15. Ken Watson

Ken Watson Loaded Pockets

@sarxsvt
    Thanks for the review! Just FYI I have a smoke grey vertex gamut I'd sell for a bargain if you find yourself interested.