1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Can Zebralight be topped?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by streak, Oct 18, 2018.

1. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I can not comprehend this myself but it is a good thing that we have choices!

I also have my Streamlights set for single mode though as the Streamlight interface is tough for me too,I just don't get the timing somehow?

Also worth mentioning that the Malkoff MD interface is for me even worse!

I have tried carrying Olight as my backup EDC but in the end they seem to always turn on in pocket and try to singe my Junk somehow!?!?!?

Not a good feeling.

2. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Maybe it's down to the pressure and timing on the button? I certainly find the Olight easier to use than the Zebras. I have the pocket clip sat right next to the switch, I've not had the light turn on accidentally yet.

ZMZ67 likes this.
  3. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Gents, all I can say regarding 'navigating' the button enabled menus on these lights: your comments help me feel better about my own frustrations with these things! :)

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Barabbas, earthman and ZMZ67 like this.
  4. jtice

jtice Loaded Pockets

I love my Zebralights, love the recessed buttons,
    But I would prefer just an easy, hold button to ramp through brightness.
    Dont really care for the 3 levels, then double clicking into secondary levels of those 3 levels.
    Keep the long press to turn on in low. And keep the last level used memory.

Moshe ben David and earthman like this.
  5. ZMZ67

ZMZ67 Loaded Pockets

Yes it is good to have choices! We at least have the ability to pick from a wide variety of lights to suit our preferences. Oddly enough I still haven't found exactly what I want in a multi-mode light. lol

6. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Good to hear that I'm not the only one who has difficulties with these lights.

Regarding the pocket clip, I don't mind one being screwed onto the body but at least put another couple of holes at the other end of the torch so one can move it.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera Loaded Pockets

It seems fairly obvious to me that, if Zebralight's physical design and UI design are your benchmark, then no, Zebralight can't be topped.

Personally I never liked Morse-Code UIs. I can appreciate the ability to access any level directly, but I think there are more intuitive ways to achieve that goal. Nowadays my recommendation would be an HDS Rotary. It has a tail-mounted selector dial that lets you preselect one of 24 brightness levels while keeping the flashlight in a "tactically-correct" overhand grip, with your thumb and forefinger near the tail of the light. It also has an electronic clicky switch, which lets it sense the length of time you keep the switch pressed, so it can offer a "press-and-hold for max output" function. It inherits the functionality from the old HDS Clicky firmware, so you can program the switch to have 4 different presets accessible via Morse-Code clicks, if that's what you prefer. I just leave mine in the stock configuration, which is to have all 4 presets configured to respect the setting of the rotary dial instead of jumping to a pre-programmed setting. And of course, the durability of HDS flashlights is unmatched by any other design made of aluminum. (titanium is stronger, but way more expensive.) As with all HDS flashlights, the electronics are potted in epoxy, so you can whack it really really hard without rattling the electronics loose.

The only thing I dislike about the HDS Rotary is the lack of a bezel-down clip. I think there's a bezel-up clip available, but I just made my own solution:

[​IMG]

In case you're wondering: No, the clip doesn't interfere with the functionality of the rotary dial. I checked before installing the clip, and there's enough distance between the position for the lowest setting and the position for the highest setting that the clip can attach in that one spot without blocking any of the settings.

#27 deusexaethera, Nov 29, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  8. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

-... ...

Moshe ben David likes this.
  9. deusexaethera

¬_¬

Last edited by deusexaethera, Dec 1, 2018
    #29 deusexaethera, Nov 29, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
  10. twoisone
    • In Omnia Paratus

twoisone EDC Junkie!!!

I wish my zebra had a programable lock, rather than having to unscrew the tailcap. My sc32 was darned toasty in the pocket one day. The size of it is great, although nothing will replace my HDS lights.

11. david57strat

david57strat EDC Junkie!!!

I think the 18650 battery is the perfect platform for a high performance, super compact flashlight.

I love Zebralights, in the neutral versions. I find these easily pocket-able, but they sure pack a wallop, for their size.

I think the only thing that would make it the perfect EDC light would be the addition of a tail switch, for momentary operation, and a model that had the Nichia 219C, in a quad.

Maybe someday...?

Aside from that, I think the interface, with its easy customization and alternate instant access modes is extremely well thought out - in fact, genius.

[​IMG]

My only gripe is that some models can only run on flat top, unprotected batteries, because they use those strange pins, rather than springs. The tolerance is very narrow, size-wise, for batteries. I'm currently using Sanyo NCR18650 GAs, in mine.

JLeePhoto likes this.
  12. jtice

jtice Loaded Pockets

Ive looked on and off at lights to replace my Zebralight, which has been my EDC for a very long time now.
    But, that may have to change....
    Cuz, sadly, my SC62w has gone missing :(

13. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I ordered a replacement for mine yesterday!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. JLeePhoto

JLeePhoto Loaded Pockets

Generally agree. Don’t get the posters that think the interface is difficult. Set up the three powers you like and hold the button to scroll through.

And the power/efficiency for size with an 18650 can’t be beat.

It’s generally a trade off for me between the Malkoff MD2 w/Hi/Lo head (even simpler) and the SC600 MK3 HI (more compact and brighter.)

15. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I am with you,I am puzzled by anyone who can not just press and hold the button until getting the level they want and then just letting go?
    But I have also handed a ZL to people and explained to them just to press the button once and they can not seem to even grasp and master that?
    Then they just start clicking at random and can not recover somehow from this.

The MD2 Hi-Lo ring is almost perfect if simple is the need for sure.

The Sunnwayman V11r is the ideal Rotary interface to me as it simply has a momentary forward clicky on the end and the Rotary control down the tube but I have a tough time considering that having more options/features is a bad thing too at least for myself.

I have and LOVE all of my HDS lights but they are hardly the intuitive interface option for many either,much more an enthusiast option and the price of buy in obviously reinforces this to me.
    Picture handing someone an HDS where the Rotary option is the simple click to turn on but they dont think the light is working if the Rotary level is low so they start random clicking!
    Once on this road they might never return to the mode they want and rarely do they seem to even comprehend the modes anyway.

I think there are different ideal interfaces for different users so there is no right answer.

I do know that if you want to try a light that actually does use a Morse Code like access it is to try to program an HDS light to suit your needs!
    Not only do you need to be able to Send Code to tell the light what you want but then you need to Receive Code to know if the light accepted your Sent Code!

I am an HDS Fan to be sure but am also not exaggerating or misrepresenting this at all.
    I do it all the time and am now used to it but I would NEVER suggest to a casual user that they try this.

On the other hand I have a friend who thinks he is a light guy too but is really a simple caveman and only interested in output in the end.
    People like this are much better served by a traditional SF or Mag interface and a single speed switch period!

Different Strokes.

16. JLeePhoto

JLeePhoto Loaded Pockets

I have an old Ultra 2 digital surefire with a near perfect control ring that even the most UI challenged users seem to understand as soon as they pick it up. Forward switch on and off and dial in desired level at the head. It’s smooth and solid and modes are well spaced. But, it’s too large for EDC and maxes out around 100lm.
    I’ve been looking for a compact modern version for years. It seems like the Sunwayman v11 is the closest thing to it, but I’ve always shied away due to reliability complaints.

17. deusexaethera

In 8 years of EDCing a rotary flashlight, I have never actually experienced the problem you asked me to imagine. Everyone whom I've handed a rotary flashlight to has understood the concept just fine. Everyone knows how power buttons and volume knobs work -- click the button to turn it on or off, and turn the dial to change the volume -- and rotary flashlights work the same way. I think it would take an exceptionally dense person to not understand it. Anyway, I keep my EDC rotary flashlight turned-up all the way by default (just in case I get attacked my ninjas or something), which means in the rare situation I hand the light to someone else to use, it's already on a setting they will find useful.

I don't know how old your HDS Rotary is, but the new ones come pre-configured with all four modes programmed to respect the setting on the rotary dial. Even the most thick-headed user won't be able to get into a situation where the light is doing something strange. I consider myself to be in that same group, because I have no interest in the "legacy" Morse Code UI that the HDS Rotary inherited from the HDS Clicky. I'll use it in Rotary mode until it dies (or I do).

Last edited by deusexaethera, Dec 1, 2018
    #37 deusexaethera, Dec 1, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
    Archive and Moshe ben David like this.
  18. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Well that is all certainly comforting to know but somehow you seem to have missed my point almost in its entirety too?

And I have 5 or 6 Rotary and have enjoyed re-programming each of them many times,a process which is sure not for the casual "Volume Control" comprehender at all.

I also have one with the Tactical Rotary interface which I continue to not really understand the design of while I can still appreciate that it is an HDS and Henry made it with the same attention to finish & detail for which is he is legend.

19. deusexaethera

Perhaps I did miss your point. Your post that I was responding to was quite long. I thought we were both talking about the topic of this thread, which is "Can Zebralight be topped?"

My answer to that question is "If Zebralight's UI is exactly what you want, then obviously it can't be topped. If Zebralight's UI isn't exactly what you want, then yes it can be topped, because there are more intuitive ways to accomplish what Zebralight's UI accomplishes." I suppose that is a different way of saying "different strokes for different folks", as you put it.

To be clear, when I say "intuitive", I'm using the engineering definition, which is "functionality can be accessed with little-to-no instruction, practice, or memorization." One example is the touchscreen on your phone. I've seen 80-year-olds who've never used computers in their lives understand and successfully use touchscreens on the first try -- tap to activate, tap-and-drag to move, pinch to zoom, etc. Another example is the rotary dial. I don't currently own any Zebralights, but I do own several Olights, and I've seen people get confused by "press-and-hold the button to change modes", especially if there's a strobe mode hiding in there. But I've never seen someone get confused by "turn the rotary dial to change the brightness".

Archive and Moshe ben David like this.
  20. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Wow