1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Can we have a vehicle section?

Discussion in 'Forum Issues' started by thegrouch314, Jun 8, 2021.

1. thegrouch314

thegrouch314 Loaded Pockets

I think a vehicle EDC section would be interesting but travel doesn't quite seem like the right place for it. A dedicated vehicle sub would be nice

RogerStenning and BigGeorge like this.
  2. Sentinel-14

Sentinel-14 Loaded Pockets

I'd like to second this request.

Earlier today I posted a new thread in Travel regarding winter vehicle gear since that's where vehicle threads seem to go. I think it is helpful and would have gotten more eyes in the regular EDC area though, as Travel seems to be more about vacationing, camping, etc and what to carry/how to carry in those situations.

A dedicated Vehicle forum in the Gear section would separate vehicle-related EDC discussions from travel and vacation topics.

RogerStenning likes this.
  3. Boy SureFire

Boy SureFire May The Bridges I Burn Light The Way

You're not the first person to ask this question, and I don't think anything ever came of it.

4. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

There's an EDC's car related thread...
    Vehicle EDC Loadout

5. ghuns

ghuns Loaded Pockets

And a what do you drive thread.

6. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

I dunno...the forum is averaging less than (10) posts per day over the entire forum. Adding another sub-forum would only dilute the posts/sub-forum even further.

I sometimes wonder if even less sub-forums would be better. This would consolidate more posts together and likely generate more discussion rather than less. Seems now like some posts get created and they just languish for months with no responses at all. I don't think there's a single sub-forum here where the bottom of the first page doesn't have the most recent post dating back several months, if not years.

7. Sentinel-14

Sentinel-14 Loaded Pockets

and I posted in it. Twice. You even liked one of the posts. :) Furthermore, I felt that given the recent events the subject of winter-specific vehicle gear warranted its own thread instead of derailing an existing one. It also made me consider other seasonal-specific vehicle gear that I have yet to dedicate an essay to.

I dont think consolidation is the answer, because it'll only mean people having to wade through threads they're not interested in to find topics they like. This current case is a prime example: people have to wade thru threads on camping, traveling, what to take on the airplane, etc in order to find threads about what to keep in the car, daily.

I'm glad Photography EDC has it's own section: I have no interest in photography and having those posts isolated means I don't have to wade thru them. Same with Keychain Tools. I'm glad Knives and Watches have their own sections, because when I do discuss knives or watches I have a very specific place to go. The fact that there are less than 10 posts per day on average seems to me less an issue of forum/post dilution and more a general lack of interest by members. As it is, very little discussion goes on here anyway: it's mostly just picture sharing threads and requests for opinions on a specific product.

I've tried to spark discussion with my essays Winter Vehicle Gear, Vehicle EDC, and EDC Gear and Why, and got few actual responses. Some likes, sure, and some affirmations like "good post", but no actual discussion. One person in my EDC and Why thread actually commented that the thread was making him rethink some things, so I guess that's something.

My winter-specific article, that I wrote explicitly due to the recent newsworthy events in Virginia, has generated no discussion. No one has anything to say? No one has thoughts about winter car gear? No one cares? I find that unlikely: it's most likely because the thread is in a forum that at a glance seems to be about something other than the topic, because there is no other, more appropriate, forum. Maybe I'll repost it in General and see if it gets more traction there.

I could have posted it in the Vehicle EDC thread, as it is a seasonal EDC. But I did not want to derail that thread, where each person was more or less sharing what they carried in their own car (and I did derail slightly with my second post): I wanted to have a dedicated thread where everyone could give their thoughts on the topic. I suppose going forward I will just put my essays in General Discussion unless there's a more appropriate place.

I just figured that since many (most?) of us drive a vehicle every day, it would make sense to have a section dedicated to everyday vehicle topics. *shrug*

Nick4305 likes this.
  8. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

Fair enough. I certainly don't object to such a forum, and I'd probably contribute to it. Gawd knows, I have enough vehicles!!

Incidentally, I believe I responded to one of your car related EDC threads. If not, I meant to and likely will because I do have some comments.

Sentinel-14 likes this.