1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Can one bag really do it all?!

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by wortgames, Dec 10, 2009.

1. bigfoot

bigfoot Loaded Pockets

Can one bag do it all? Yes, no, and maybe. It just depends on what your definition of "do it all" means. If you spend a lot of time in the outdoors, then I think you are looking at a backpack. Same thing with lots of travel. For business or workplace use I think the messenger or attache bags are better.

I would hate to drag a tactical backpack into a meeting or have to hike with an attache bag slung over my shoulder.

2. Adm. Glen Scotia

Adm. Glen Scotia Empty Pockets

I would say that for most people one bag can't do it all, but for some it can. I've always wanted to find something that I could use as my every-day bag but also use for weekend trips for a set of clothes or two. Inevitably what always happens is that the bag I find for this purpose is either too small to fit the overnight things I need, or too big and bulky to carry around with me everywhere. Now I have settled into a two bag philosophy. basically, I want one back to be my "every day" bag to carry with me everywhere I go whether it be on my way to work or as a carry-on on an airplane or anywhere else. The secondary bag is small enough to be a carry-on but big enough to fit what I need for a trip.

Right now the secondary bag is a Victorinox Trooper. My primary, everyday bag is in flux. I am waiting on a Saddleback Medium Satchel which is on its way to me. It looks like it may be the perfect bag, and hopefully the "last bag I'll ever buy," as I am dog tired of buying bags.

3. wortgames

wortgames Empty Pockets

You and me both, Admiral, you and me both! I bit the bullet and ordered the large satchel the other day.

I guess I've ended up using a multi-bag system by default, as I've never really had a great EDC bag - I've got a hundred different smallish bags but none of them really work as all-rounders. Many of them are 'conference' type nylon satchels from my past life as an event tech, but I've got small holdalls, daypacks and heavy-gauge tool bags as well.

More recently I developed a bit of a fetish for the National Geographic 'Earth Explorer' bags (http://www.supporthexperience.com). I started with the waist pack (bum bag, fanny pack) which I just slung over a shoulder and which was perfect for a small camera and a few bits and pieces but not much else. Then I got the sling bag, which is pretty cool, a fraction larger and has a few nice little external pockets for edc stuff, but it's still too easily filled (and tightly packed) with just the basics. I also got the large shoulder bag which holds my laptop, a weekend's worth of clothes and my other edc stuff. It is well made and light weight but too big for true edc. I considered getting the medium shoulder bag, but I'm starting to wonder about the ability of their casual, Indiana Jones - meets - David Attenborough kind of look to blend in to posh company. I also think it will be too floppy to make a decent bicycle pannier bag, and too easily muddied.

That's how I wound up at the Saddleback. I reckon that although quite casual, the fact that it is a good quality, somewhat 'timeless' leather item should see it through more formal situations than the NG stuff, and it should also withstand the rigours of bike use. I went for the large size so that it can take paperwork etc, so the trick will be resisting the temptation to over-fill it. If I can keep it fairly lght, then hopefully it will be a good edc with plenty of room for unexpected extras.

I guess we'll see... let us know how you go with yours and I'll post back here when I get mine too.

4. Adm. Glen Scotia

Wortgames, thanks for your reply.

I went back and forth about the large satchel vs. the medium. Eventually, I chose the medium. The reason for this is that, like you, I have a tendency to over-fill bags. The bag I am using currently is too big for me, and it's only a hair bigger than the large. The medium seemed to be exactly the size that I needed, although it's always hard to tell from pictures and dimensions. Given my overfilling AND the heavy weight of the bag, I wanted to avoid a bag that would take a toll on my back, as I carry a bag literally *everywhere*.

My one trepidation is that I know 8 x 11 paper will be a tight squeeze into the medium, and may not fit at all. This is really okay... not a deal-breaker or anything. Though I suspect it may prove to be an inconvenience.

I will definitely be reporting back here once I have the bag in hand. It comes Friday and I am beside myself.

5. wortgames

wortgames Empty Pockets

It looks like your 8x11" paper in the medium satchel will have about the same amount of 'wriggle room' as our A4 paper (which is almost 12") in the large. I did email them and they thought it should fit, so hopefully you'll find the same. It's not a deal-breaker for me either, but it would be nice...

I'm excited too - is this normal?! :whee:

Unfortunately mine hasn't even left SBL yet (c'mon Dave I placed the order on the weekend) and what with Australia Post industrial action and the time of year I'm not sure I'll see it this side of Christmas...

:brickwall:

6. Adm. Glen Scotia

Well, I don't know if it's normal for you, but it's definitely normal for me. Once I decide to buy a new gizmo, or some similarly exciting object, I have immense difficulty waiting until I get my hands on it. I've invested so much energy in finding the "perfect" bag over the years that the prospect of finding what could by my constant companion for many years to come has me positively giddy.

Part of my is almost hoping the bag *doesn't* fit 8x11 sheets, because it would mean I'd have to resort to folding them in half, and it would thus further discourage me from overloading my bag. But on the other hand, it WOULD be nice to have the flexibility of fitting one. On the bright side, the medium certainly WON'T fit my laptop, which I am delighted about. (I can't tell you how much I detest carrying a computer around.)

Sorry to hear about your late delivery date. Honestly, I didn't know he shipped to AUS. I think the FAQ says Europe only. Congrats.

By the way, I checked out those National Geographic bags... definitely have the aesthetics I look for in bags, though zippers/plastic buckles are pretty much a deal-breaker at this point, which is one of the many reasons I've found Saddleback to be so appealing.

7. Proc

Proc Loaded Pockets

God I hope not then i have to find a new hobby and wow that would be sort of sad.

8. eggroll

eggroll Empty Pockets

9. Elmo

Elmo Loaded Pockets

:iagree:

10. Adm. Glen Scotia

Saddleback Medium Satchel arrived today. No time to do a full run-down of its greatness, but I will say that I'm convinced this may, indeed, be the "last bag I ever buy," at least for my day-to-day needs. More later.

11. wortgames

wortgames Empty Pockets

Cool, let us know how you feel when you've had a bit more time with it!

I think my main concern at this point, other than whether or not I've chosen the right size (and colour!), is how well I'm going to get along with the buckle as a flap fastener. Will it be too fiddly to do and undo every time I need to gain access, and will it make the bag difficult to lift by the handle if left undone.

As for colour, I chose the dark tobacco, but I'm actually wondering whether I should have been bolder and got the chestnut. It's a bit 'dressy' for my taste but I suspect it will age particularly well with an air of relaxed classiness that the tobacco might not achieve.

I hear you about the laptop. This was a bit of an issue for me in the decision process - each bag is only an inch or so different from the next size, and it is so easy to justify going a bit bigger then a bit bigger again - it's a lot easier to define 'too small' than 'too large'. Finally I decided that my laptop simply isn't important enough in my life to dictate anything, and it is just a temporary item anyway. More important are my core edc items, as well as a few extras when required.

Mine is finally on the way, although it's still in Texas. I've subscribed to email updates on its progress and I'll come running back here like an excited little boy when it turns up...
    :popcorn:

12. sanddragger28

sanddragger28 Empty Pockets

And the Answer is NO NO :popcorn:

13. secondechomatt

secondechomatt Loaded Pockets

I was EDC'ing a laptop in a backpack, all loaded down. I realized one day that it wasn't needed or very smart.

I stubled on this forum, purchased a max jumbo for all my "gear" and misc items. bought a neoprene protector sleve for the laptop and now I can function separately.