1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

can buy a DSLR for 800€, which one?

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by flux, Apr 17, 2018.

1. flux

flux Loaded Pockets

Hi Photographers,

we just got green light for an arts project with kids. Funding allows buying a nice camera with a budget of 750 to 800 euros.

what would you buy?

- DSLR
    - must able to record quality video as well
    - as we work with kids and teenagers, it should be built rugged.
    - waterresistant/waterproof would be nice.

Thanks in advance for suggestions

Last edited by flux, Apr 17, 2018
    #1 flux, Apr 17, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  2. MCPOWoller

MCPOWoller Loaded Pockets

That is not as simple to answer as one would think. Do you want to be able to take off the lens and change it with another one? Do you already have any other brand equipment (Nikon, Canon, Sony, Fuji...)? Does it have to be an DSLR? A "rugged" DSLR is going to cost more than 800 euros (or $980 USD).

kikaida and twoisone like this.
  3. DeepBlue

DeepBlue Loaded Pockets

My recommendation would be for the combination noted below. For this you get Nikon’s base DSLR and two very good lenses. Do not be fooled by it being a base model, it is a fantastic bargain. It produces images near indistinguishable from Nikon’s more expensive models and its a great starter camera (I have the previous model D3300 and the top of the range DX body, the D500. Sure the D500 is a better camera -it should be, it’s 5x the price. But image wise nothing much in it.) OK it not as robust as the higher cameras, but a youth dropping a camera is going to break either and it’s less painful breaking a cheap one. Oh, and that kit and camera is light and suitable for smaller hands too.
    Do make sure you get (as noted below) the AF-P and VR versions of those lenses. VR gives you useful image stabilisation (Vibration Reduction) and the AF-P lenses have turned out to be great and fast focussing lenses. If you can get as a kit as Nikon have been doing then great. It is even worth putting that together if you have to buy the 70-300 as an add on. That lot should allow you a bit over to buy some SD cards and a spare battery and maybe a cheap camera bag to keep it in. Finally, consider a tripod if there is anything left over. Very useful for video.

Nikon D3400 DSLR Digital Camera + AF-P 18-55mm VR + AF-P 70-300mm VR

Last edited by DeepBlue, Apr 18, 2018
    #3 DeepBlue, Apr 18, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  4. Dr Jekell
    • Administrator
    • In Omnia Paratus

Dr Jekell I had fun once, It was awful.
    Staff Member

As an owner of a DSLR kit, I will say that one of the factors you are forgetting about is they are heavy and unwieldy items to carry all day unless you spend more $$$ on a carry system.

I would recommend having a look at mirror less cameras instead.

5. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

This. Also, the added mechanical complexity that a dslr brings with it more or less goes against the required ruggedness. Mirrorless systems are pretty good nowadays!