1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Can a backpack make people scared of terrorism?

Discussion in 'Where, When, & How Do We Carry All This Stuff?' started by Dan2, Jan 11, 2017.

1. JOE68

JOE68 Loaded Pockets

Maybe its because we have several universities around, but a backpack in and of itself doesn't seem out of place at all. Further to that, at several public events that are generally free, there are lots of people with backpacks carrying stuff for their day of fun.
    Again the backpack isn't the issue but the person and their behavior.
    Looking for persons that are out of place, whose body language doesn't seem "right", are going to be better indicators of terrorist action than the wearing of a backpack.

2. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

But because the person acting that way IS wearing the backpack, the backpack becomes the conduit of the fear exacerbated by the individual's peculiar behavior. The same perception is also generated by knives and firearms because we live in a fickle society.

3. Roguetrooper

Roguetrooper Loaded Pockets

I'm not convinced a backpack is capable of generating the same anxiety as a knife or firearm.

A knife or handgun is capable of inflicting injury. A backpack isn't.

4. kukla

kukla Loaded Pockets

..........unless it contains a pressure cooker bomb

Moshe ben David likes this.
  5. Roguetrooper

Well, it's the bomb that's causing the injury in that example, not the backpack ;)

Daveho and 0dBm like this.
  6. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

That is because you likely have not seen a backpack filled with explosives that went off and killed a group of people. The civilized, sedentary life just doesn't allow many opportunities to see that kind of devastation.

7. kukla

kukla Loaded Pockets

Right, but how does the pressure cooker get delivered to its target?
    I fully understand what you're saying, but remember the Boston Marathon in 2013?
    I'm not saying that anyone should be afraid of a backpack, but to not underestimate the potential.

8. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

If the bomb is IN the backpack and is not seen, then the backpack becomes the scapegoat through associative perception WHEN the bomb goes boom.

9. Roguetrooper

The preceding posts suggest that it's what, potentially, could be in the rucksack that is likely to lead to anxiety and that's fair comment but, by the same token, that logic could be applied to any form of luggage in which the contents are not visible; a tote bag, a duffle bag, a plastic carrier bag etc.

So why would someone with a backpack elicit more anxiety than, say, my GF and her handbag?

10. kukla

kukla Loaded Pockets

it's not a safe world, is it?
    just think of all the places a maniac could stash a gun or knife until ready to use it

11. Roguetrooper

Well, in fairness, most people, fortunately, haven't witnessed the kind of event you're referring to above so surely they wouldn't be anxious about someone carrying a backpack?

12. ItsHardToKnow

ItsHardToKnow Loaded Pockets

well you tried...

13. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

The only bomb to go off in Norway during my life time was delivered by car. I'm not the least more worried of cars after that. If I witness suspicious behavior, I will probably get even more worried if the person(s) in question is in possession of any object that can be used to conceal a weapon or some sort of explosives, but it will always be in that order. A backpack or guitar case will not cause me to look for suspicious behavior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Roguetrooper

Agreed.

15. baccar-3

baccar-3 Loaded Pockets

Do or don't do; There is no try.

[​IMG]paratrooper by ?, on Flickr

16. kukla

kukla Loaded Pockets

17. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

a) This statement is absolutely true!
    b) Beats me! I don't know the reason. I just know that someone would. Seen it far too many times in several countries around the globe.
    Well, I wasn't "talking" about "most people." I was responding to you being "not convinced a backpack is capable of generating the same anxiety as a knife or firearm."

18. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Let's keep in mind that 'most people' do not have to have witnessed these sort of events in person. News media are saturated with sufficient reports to fix the concept in the minds of 'most people'. Not all that different from how media reports have convinced 'most people' in certain US cities (e.g., NY, Chicago) as well as in several countries (UK, Denmark, etc) are convinced that ANY blade, even something as small as a SAK Classic, constitutes a deadly weapon wielded by a blood thirsty murderer! Or how media have convinced many people that as little as 3~5 ml of any alcoholic beverage (vodka, scotch, wine, beer, etc) will make someone incapacitated.

Need I go on?

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

0dBm and PragmaticMurphyist like this.
  19. Roguetrooper

Maybe I've misunderstood, but when I suggested that a backpack doesn’t elicit (terror-related) anxiety, you replied by saying that was because I ‘likely have not seen a backpack filled with explosives that went off and killed a group of people”

Which is absolutely true.

However, my response was that ‘most people’ haven’t witnessed that kind of event either, which I don’t think is unreasonable statement to make?

20. Roguetrooper

I was responding directly to 0dBm – I suggested that, to me, a backpack, in isolation, wouldn’t cause anxiety – He replied by indicating that that was because I had never witnessed an explosion that killed lots of people – I made the point that ‘most people’ have not witnessed such an event either…